PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
kontiki

Reply with quote  #1 
Can anybody recommend a good (preferably free) guitar grid software so that I can make Ted-like chord grids on my computer?

Reply with quote  #2 
Hmmm....I do them by hand then scan the page. 
I use Sibelius (which is rather costly) for the notation.  It has the ability to add chord diagrams and to custom modify them, but I don't think it can add the X, O, squares and ties like Ted.  Ted's method is unique.
You could use a photo editor (like PhotoShop) to create your own diagrams -- create a grid and then PhotoShop's tools to add the dots, etc.  However, I think this would be very time-consuming.
Perhaps there's something out there....try Google.
--Paul

Reply with quote  #3 
I use Adobe Illustrator, but there must be something out there that is low cost that would work just as well.

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Perhaps there's something out there....try Google.

I've been tryin', but I can't seem to find the thing that will do the trick.  What about guitar pro? anybody know if that does this kind of thing?

Reply with quote  #5 
I don't know of anything that will do it easily. (not really a computer guy though). I use GuitarPro for music/tab/chords but the grids are one or two frets too short and like Paul said, no x and o etc. So lately I just do em by hand and scan em. I have seen some things that my students have re-done in various programs like power point etc. but they had to do it all by hand so to speak, lots of dragging and pasting etc.
I'd love to know if anyone finds a suitable method.

bishopdm

Reply with quote  #6 
Mac or PC?

Reply with quote  #7 
I believe the program GraphicCoverter is a free download (Mac or PC).  It would allow you to draw simple grid diagrams with symbols for fingering and then save them a a graphic file for export.

Reply with quote  #8 
I draw my grids using Open Office (Free).  I basically use the drawing tool and draw one box, then I copy it across the row and then copy the rows.

It's great for teaching because I can also put my contact information at the bottom of every page. My students can never say "I couldn't call to cancel my lesson because didn't know how to get in touch with you."  My name, email, and cell phone number are at the bottom of every handout.

Did you want to add the dots, X's and circles via the software as well?  That could be trickier because I wasn't able to figure out how to make both solid dots and hollow circles on the same page with Open Office.

kontiki

Reply with quote  #9 
I decided to try Inkscape (opensource) which works pretty well though it is a little heavy on ram. the result is here http://forums.tedgreene.com/file?id=1050265  

It took me a long time to do (45 minutes). But I imagine the next time around (if there is one) the same amount of work should take me half the time if not less. Just takes time getting used to.

I didn't use any X  or O   but i don't think they would be too dificult to do. But who knows, those are often famous last words in computer land...

Reply with quote  #10 
There was a GREAT program called 'speedscore', but it only works on Mac OS 9 and earlier
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #11 
The x's and o's can be done via code.  I wrote such a thing once about 5 years ago. (A fellow on the plane, sitting behind me saw me working on it - turns out he played guitar too.). the pseudo code, for programmers out there was this:
1. place an interactive grid on the screen
2. detect mouse clicks AND control keys (like ALT, CNTRL) with them
3. With a click in the right spot, draw a dark circle on the string/fret
4. with a click+alt key, draw and X or O or whatever,  etc.
5. When finished with the grid . .
Save the circle type, note location and grid # in a Database/flatfile/whatever.
6. Repaint the empty grid.
The drawing side just reproduced the grids in a row, row after row.  I didn't do any spacing to match music etc.
With the info in the database you could print note names, and other derivable things too I imagine.

Alas I did not finish mine, but the above will work.  Gotcha's include screen resolution etc. but all manageable.

Leon
markjens

Reply with quote  #12 
Guys, there are free chord grid pages all over the net. Are we speaking of a page of chord boxes, six or eight to a  row, or are you looking for the ability to just drop a chord box in wherever you wish?  I have gotten several free grid pages from the net, one having eight to a row so I could do exercises with my instructor (a former Ted student himself) on harmonized scales.  Anyway, if you want the page - full, I can provide the link - if you want a custom page with staff and the ability to drop in grids where you please, I don't have that.

Mark
bishopdm

Reply with quote  #13 
I'd be happy to create these for anyone, single grids or multiple grids, and make them available to everyone on the forum.  Just let me know.

Reply with quote  #14 
I believe the discussion here is about how to generate chord diagrams with Ted's style of dots, X's, squares, triangles, and perhaps tie lines.

For blank grid pages, this was already posted in the Forums and you can find some pages here:
http://forums.tedgreene.com/post?id=1944134&highlight=blank

Hope this helps.
--Paul

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE