PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
wkriski

Reply with quote  #1 
Dan Sindel has been gracious enough to post some video lessons on blues, watch what happens, etc. It is truly great to see anything that Ted has done.

However I find that in many cases it is difficult to get anything out of the lessons due to lack of context/explanation. It would be great if any of the former students who have a better grasp of what was being conveyed at the time.

I've donated to the site as I really would like to see this site keep going!

Will

Reply with quote  #2 
Dear Will, Thank you so much for donating to Ted's Website.   I don't think any of the students who so graciously offered their lesson videos realized that there was a need for explanation.   You have brought it to their attention and to the forums attention. If you have questions regarding specific lessons, please post them and perhaps I, or someone here can answer them.  Sincerely, Barbara

Reply with quote  #3 
Glad to help. Dan suggested I post that question here. So for example what was the concept explained during 'Watch what happens'? What is he doing with that standard during this lesson - how to apply it, etc? and at 4:22 borrowed roots...thanks

Reply with quote  #4 
Dear Will,  Ted actually explains to Nick on the video, how he is using the basic structure of the song, and improvising scale tones & chord tones (and some chromatics) based on the chords and harmonic rhythm of the song and exacting a melody note from the song here and there.  Ted is using arpeggios and melodic and harmonic patterns.  I included some in the written lesson material posted for March. 
As for the key root tones, I can't find any of Ted's notes on that, and I don't want to venture a guess that could be inaccurate.    Hope this helps a little.
Anyone else care to comment?  Nick Stasinos! Where are you????
Barbara

Reply with quote  #5 
One thing that might help, Ted's tuned to Eb and is playing the tune in "E" meaning he's playing and talking about the tune as if in E but it sounds like Eb.
dsindel

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Will, I have nothing to offer as I am not learned enough in these topics but I am really glad you came up here to ask some of the folks who can convey meaning.

Yes Nick, where are you? LOL 

Dan Sindel (your humble webmaster)
wkriski

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks guys

Reply with quote  #8 
I've noticed that in the "from Ted's students" section there are copies of some of the notes that went along with the videos.  For example, there is a jpg of the original notes Ted wrote for Jumpback Blues in the Blues lessons # 7 and 8 as well as a cleaned up version written on staff paper that the student (Nick?) wrote.

So sometimes you can find the related study notes there.

But I've also noticed that different teachers teach in vastly different ways.  When I teach I like to have a specific idea that we work on during each lesson because that's the way I like to learn.  Ted likes to play while explaining his ideas and it's left to the student to work it out.  There's a lot more commitment required on the part of the student but that kind of teaching can also give the student a LOT of understanding.

I've watched the blues lessons 4 or 5 times and I've been working on Jumpback blues as well.  But it's taken that many repeated viewing to really start to understand what Ted is describing.  There's a lot there. But sometimes it can be overwhelming to hear as he's playing such amazing stuff.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE