PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
wkriski

Reply with quote  #1 
I was wondering if any of you are aware of any existing research, books, etc in the area of baroque/classical improvisation?

The closest thing to me would be composition and analysis of existing music but anything specific to improvisation? Please post any references you are aware of.

Thanks!

Reply with quote  #2 
Dusan Bogdonavic has a book on how to improvise on guitar in a Renaissance contrapuntal style. Actually, only about one third of the book is strictly about that, but that one third is good. He abstracts a bunch of contrapuntal licks from old Renaissance music for the reader to use as a basis of an improvising language.

The book is very expensive. I would recommend asking your library to obtain it for you, so that you can determine in advance if it's worth the money to you.
wkriski

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks. Since I posted that original message I've done a lot of research and even did a research proposal at the local university. There's almost nothing out there but I did find a couple piano based improv books. I think the best way is to analyze existing piece and build up a library of patterns, ideas, etc combined with our knowledge of chord progressions, modulations, etc.

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Will,
Well.....  I wasn't going to say anything so soon but......  I have been working on a "book" that details Ted's learning process from Bach to Neo-Baroque Improv.  It's still in its incipient stages, so it will take a while ( a year, two?). 
It appears to me that there is more interest in this area of Ted's than any other so I am compiling pages and notes that I think will be helpful, but these are ONLY TOOLS - remember one can not really be taught how to improvise!  One accumulates the knowledge, learns it thoroughly, ingrains it then plays around with it, experiments, and hopefully it flows forth.  
**Also, something Ted told me:  not everyone can be an improviser - it is something that just happens naturally.  

Nonetheless, that is what I've been working on, please be patient and continue the pursuit on your own (as you have been doing Will), it is a worthy endeavor.
All the best to you, Barbara

Reply with quote  #5 
Wow that will be most excellent!

I'm developing my own approach and system but only time will tell if it is effective. There are definitely things that WON'T directly help like just playing songs, just learning scales and modes, etc. As Ted said it's combining learned bits here and there over time, similar to his single note soloing concept of learning then combining and twisting phrases naturally over time. At least that's what I believe at this point.

PS. I'm almost done transcribing baroque part 1 as well of bits of other vids.

Reply with quote  #6 
Oh!!! very interesting, I'm trying to compile parts I find intesting when I find some time....hope it'll lead somewhere; it seems to be a very very long task (due to my "slowliness")

Thanks for the news Barbara we couldn't hope for a better project (at least me )

thomas

Reply with quote  #7 
You guys might like Gabriela Montero, a pianist who improvises very well in the style of Bach. Here's one of my favorties:

wkriski

Reply with quote  #8 
I listened to Gabriel on NPR on the subject of improv. While I enjoyed her playing, sadly she couldn't explain anything about the process, saying it just came from somewhere magical. As Ted shows in his baroque vids, the improv is as explainable as composition is only you do it on the fly. 

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE