PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
anthony

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello everyone,
My name is Tony & I'm new to the Forum.
I just have a general query regarding an article Ted wrote about Wes Montgomery titled, "Movin' Wes: A high point in guitar artistry."
I am having a great deal of trouble locating this article & I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on where to look or who to contact, as I would love to read this, being a huge fan of both Wes & Ted.
Thanks,
Tony
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Anthony!
Welcome! The article is in Guitar Player Magazine (sorry, I forget which issue) I do have the original hand-written and original proof, but alas I will not have time to scan it for a while. Hopefully someone else has the article and will post it. If not I will eventually post the one I have. Barbara

Reply with quote  #3 
The article greene on montgomery-exploring Movin' Wes Track by Track appeared in Guitar Player magazine August 1998.

Regards,
jerome
NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #4 
Barb,
I have it! Ted gave me a copy of the Movin' Wes GP article before it went to press and I was just looking at it the other day, so I know where it is. 
I'll post it here in the next day or so.
Nick

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi everyone,
Thanks for responding to my question regarding Ted's article on Wes, & thank you very much Nick for kindly offering to post it. At some stage I'll look forward to reading it.
Kind regards to you all,
Tony
NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #6 
Tony, 
Ted gave me this hand written copy of his article back in 1998, right before it was published in the August issue of Guitar Player magazine.  I can't find or don't have that particular issue to compare what was added or subtracted from the final galley proof. If anyone can compare and report back here with any changes, I would be forever grateful!
He goes through tracks 1 through 8 of "Movin' Wes" with great detail, then says "You are on your own for the last three tracks" of 9 through 11, due to restricted space to print the article.  
 Ugh!  What silly full page color ad got in the way of completing this literary work of art?  

Enjoy the article!
Nick

[ATTENTION:  The 9 pages of Ted's handwritten Wes Montgomery article I originally posted here can now be found through a link on the home page]
http://www.tedgreene.com/personal/articles.asp#wes

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks so much, Nick, for the original transcript of Ted's wonderful insights on Wes.

Reply with quote  #8 
Very Cool! Thanks Nick!
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #9 
Good job, Nick! As i recall, the original article is much longer than the GP version which was edited.

Ted had many "favorite" guitarists, but Wes may have been his ultimate favorite. Others were; George VanEps, Albert and BB King, Danny Gatton and Lenny Breau. It was hard to mention any guitarist that Ted was not aware of.

Reply with quote  #10 
Hello Nick,
Thankyou so much for all the trouble you have gone to in posting Ted's article on Wes. It's great to finally get to read it, & having the original draft in Ted's handwriting is even better than reading a published version, it seems much more personal as if Ted's talking directly to you.
Once again thanks,
Kind regards Tony.
ronjazz

Reply with quote  #11 
Well, here I am, with the headphones on, the CD playing, following Ted's thoughts, and remembering the thrill of sitting 10 feet away from Wes at the Jazz Workshop in Boston in 1965 or '66, night after night, bathed in the warmth of his charisma, which filled the room, I swear, he actually shone like a lighthouse! The sound L5 through the Standel amp hit me in the heart like a punch from the god of music, and the thrill of it all has never left. On top of it, as I sent requests up for "Jingles" and "4 On 6" amidst the calls for "Windy" and "Going Out Of My head", Wes got off the stand after a break, asked the waitress who was sending the requests for his tunes up. She pointed me out, and he went to the bar, got an orange juice and a ginger ale, came over, and asked if I minded if he sat down. Well, for the rest of that week, we hung out on breaks, and he was wonderfully curious that a 16-year-old kid could analyze his harmonies and name the scales he was using, and we became buddies for that short time. He even drove me home after one gig when I stayed too late for the trains. I only saw him once more after that, at a festival in Boston, and when the news came that he had passed on, it was the darkest day since the terrible news of JFK, another hero I had met. A very few handful of people are magical, and Wes was certainly full of magic, warmth, humor and humility. I miss him every day. thanks for posting this wonderful reminder of him, and thanks, Ted, for also being magical.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #12 
Ron, thanks for sharing your story of Wes.  What a privilege!...not just to see him play live once, but repeatedly and to hang out with him and talk music!  He and Ted would have been fast friends.

Reply with quote  #13 
Great story Ron. We're all jealous.

Ted once counted all the chords that Wes used and figured out that it was a fairly small number (at least compared to Ted!). This is kind of funny, but typical of Ted's analytical mind. He said it wasn't the number of chords that Wes knew, but how he used them so effectively that mattered.

Reply with quote  #14 
This reminds me of a Joe Pass, Herb Ellis story.  In the late 70's, I took a few lessons from Joe Pass.  I went to see him and the 70's almost every monday, with Herb Ellis at Dantes.  One monday night, Herb forgot his guitar, Joe asked me if I had one with me.  At that time, all I played was a strat,  Joe and Ted convinced me to convert to something else.  I followed Ted's advice to the Tele.  I wish I still had that Strat though,  It was an original(prob my first elec guitar) that I brought with me when I moved from Mich.(Mid 60's version)  I think I had it in my trunk, and  Herb played it while waiting for his guitar to make it.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE