PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
John

Reply with quote  #16 
Hello Everyone -

One book which has had a significant effect on me and for others I know who have worked with it is:

Harmonic Experience - W. Matthieu. ISBN 0-88281-560-4, Inner Traditions International, One Park Street, Rochester VT, 05767, $50.

There is much information about it on the web if you're interested to find out more about it!

Best Wishes from John in Maine
MikeT

Reply with quote  #17 
I'm also recommending the book by Mathieu! It's one of the best music books I've ever came across, worth every penny and then some. But I'd say it may be not  a beginner's book...

I wonder if Ted knew this book?

Mike

Greg

Reply with quote  #18 
HI,

I have, A Fanatic's guide to Ear Training and Sight Singing Volume 1, By Bruce Arnold, and I like it very much.

-Greg
Stringfellow

Reply with quote  #19 

Following on from my initial post a couple of months back (and all the helpful pointers from Barbara, Leon, Mark and others), I have spent some time investigating some approaches to ear training etc. I thought these might help others and I would also like to throw them open to discussion.

It appears that an overall goal is to be able to see what you hear and hear what you see. If you can sight sing a line/ solo etc. you will have no trouble applying it to the instrument. In addition, if you are singing extremely accrately, it shows that you are hearing with extreme accuracy too. When this is all packaged together, transcribing, sight reading and using the inner ear to guide your improvisiations all feed each other, which enables you to learn more and more music, faster and faster.

Also, having obtained the Ottman book 'Music For Sight Singing', the idea of sight singing whilst conducting with your right hand and subdividing the beat with your left has opened doors for me regarding playing confidence. What I mean is, after practising like this without the guitar I feel increased confidence when I do pick her up. I wonder what other people (inc. Ted) experienced having worked on this approach for some time??

Finally, (yep, my rant is nearly up!) I have been introduced to an approach called The Kodaly Method. It focuses specifically on eveloping the inner ear to the point where reading a score is like reading a book (ie. w/ words)! Anyone used this approach??

As usual, thanks for any thoughts posted by the group. Hope this is found to be interesting........

Tris

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE