PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
sam

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone.

I gotta say, I'm just blown away by this website. It is such a treasure trove of study material that it would take multiple lifetimes to investigate it all. And the rememberences of Ted by his students and Barbara are just incredibly moving.

I am curious about something though. While viewing the videos of Ted's performances he is sort of shaking a bit, and it looks like he's pretty nervous or something. Did he suffer from stage fright or have a minor nervous condition?

It does look like some of the exaggerated movement of his right arm after a chord is plucked is for a vibrato effect which, (whether intentional or not) sounds really cool, yet some of his movements look like he might just be very nervous.

If he did suffer from stage fright, could that be part of the reason why he focused on teaching more than performing?

I have always had a problem with stage fright myself, so this is something that I am genuinely interested in.

Thanks again to everyone for the tidal wave of great stories, lesson scans, audio and video. Your generousity not only extends and enlarges Ted's legacy, it also sets an example of how good the internet can be
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello Sam,

Thank you for your kind words of appreciation for the website.

Regarding Ted's live performing: Ted's preferred to perform for a small audience or to be in the background, so to speak. Seminars were more easily tolerated as he could first converse with his audience thereby creating a more relaxed atmosphere in the room and forming a connection.
Ted was very uncomfortable doing solo stage performances for a large audience due to the intensity and energy created by so many people solely focused on him, he found it was too overwhelming. Ted's highly sensitive nature was not well suited to that type of situation.

".......he requires an atmosphere of tranquility and composure in order to yield up the melodic treasures which repose within him"
This was said of Chopin, and very aptly applies also to Ted.

When you see Ted's "exaggerated movements" what you are seeing is Ted actually bending the guitar neck for more vibrato, and/or using his right hand or even his whole body for the same effect. He said it took tremendous effort to do this. When he would view his own videos, he was not pleased about the way it looked but accepted it.

And yes Sam, he did get nervous, which is not at all uncommon, so you are in good company.
Barbara

Reply with quote  #3 
Ted, who was ever a perfectionist and aware of his own weaknesses. Does he ever attempt to counter his stage nervousness? Or in a routine before performance?

Regards

Koek Wei Chew
DougMiers

Reply with quote  #4 

A student at one of Segovia's Master Classes once made a comment to the Maestro that he was never nervous in front of an audience.  Segovia replied, "Don't worry, when you develop talent, you WILL be nervous."

sam

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you Barbara for the quick response.

That is a great quote (George Sand?) and Ted certainly did transmit "an atmosphere of tranquility and composure" in his playing and his teaching.

I remember in one of Mark Levy's lesson tapes (god knows which one), Mark was expressing his frustration of being sort of overwhelmed by the endless choices of things to practice, so Ted rattled off a very wise life-analogy that went something like:

(from memory-sorry!)
"Hey Mark, don't worry about learning everything, just pick out the stuff that turns you on. It's like going to a carnival, you can't ride all of the rides, but at the end of the day you can say: "Hey we got to visit the Fun-house a few times!"

Stuff like this is golden. It's almost like he was practicing a form of music therapy with some of his students!

All of these things give me a sense that for Ted, the study of music and and the joy of teaching were plenty enough rewarding and he just didn't want to trade his intuitive sensitivity for the somewhat hard edge needed for a performance career.

I'm sure glad he did.

Thanks again,
-sam
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE