PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
Greg

Reply with quote  #1 
Does anyone know some clasical pieces and possibly books with the pieces that Ted went through that transfer to the guitar well. Also pieces that any of you personally like would be just as good.

Thanks

-Greg Uhlmann
Bob

Reply with quote  #2 
What a good question. Ted took on a lot of classical pieces. Some of his studies were standard guitar literature refingered to suit the electric guitar. Other materials include Bach's Two Part Inventions transposed to work on guitar as well as the Cello and Violin Sonatas.
 I once brought the Segovia edition of the Sor studies to Ted's apartment just to talk about playing them on my electric. He randomly opened the book to study estudio #9 and started reading it down. I was  watching Ted's left hand and noticed that something about the forms Ted choose seemed odd. " Hey Ted, what key are you in", I asked. Ted smiled and said, " I'm in C minor. The ear gets tired of hearing this piece in A minor."  
 I bring that story up as a reminder to myself of what a fine musician Ted was. I doubt that Ted had looked at estudio #9 in years.  He was an excellent sight reader and transposition skills were astounding. He choose to transpose the piece to challenge himself; not to impress me. He really set a high standard.

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Greg, Here are a few of Ted's transcriptions of some classical favorites. Enjoy.

Attached Images
jpeg _Ted_Classical1.jpg (331.61 KB, 310 views)
jpeg _Ted_Classical2.jpg (360.46 KB, 241 views)
jpeg _Ted_Classical3.jpg (324.16 KB, 221 views)
jpeg _Ted_Classical4.jpg (321.21 KB, 196 views)
jpeg _Ted_Classical5.jpg (271.51 KB, 202 views)

PaulV

Reply with quote  #4 
Barbara,
Thank you for this wonderful gift.  I knew Ted primarily via his jazz playing, but I am more and more learning how deeply rooted he was in classical.  Perhaps that's why his jazz had an extra 10 layers of depth to it.
--Paul

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks so much Barbara,

Do you know if Ted mostly selected violin, cello, and lute music to play on the guitar because often they transfer well? Did he play piano music or other pieces written for other instruments? Also, were there certain composers besides bach, clearly, that he studied closely or liked to play their pieces, etc.?

Thanks
-Greg
bishopdm

Reply with quote  #6 
None of the pieces that Barbara listed are for violin, cello, or lute, if that's any indication...

Reply with quote  #7 
As I've mentioned here before I only studied with Ted intermittently, usually as a 'sub' for other more regular students. I also worked briefly at "Guitarville" in sherman oaks, a vintage shop (currently in Denver) that Ted would visit regularly and hang out and play for hours, usually playing one of the two 'blackguards' that were hanging behind the front counter. Both at the shop and in the occasional lesson what always struck me as truly amazing and enlightening was the way that he would answer any question by basically giving you "900 years of music history and applied theory" while playing every cited example on guitar as he spoke. From Palestrina to Bernard Herman to Bill Evans to the Byrds. I never once heard him say, "oh, I can't do that on guitar".

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Greg,
If Ted LOVED something he would learn it, from Gregorian Chant to Twelve Tone, and everything in between. The instrument the piece was written for had no bearing on why he chose the it, some pieces he played were written for a large orchestra. He simply PLAYED WHAT HE LOVED. B.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE