PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
stevie82

Reply with quote  #1 
Can anyone please direct me to some of Teds material on this site that will help me get the basics of arranging chord melodies. 

If not maybe some of you may have some pointers?

I would like to know which chords are best suited for simple melodies. What are the possibilities for one single melody?

These are the sort of answers I seek, and hopefully this fine forum can help me.

Cheers

Steve
PaulV

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Steve,
If you go to the "Teachings" section of the TedGreene.com website you'll find lots of information about basics, chord forms, harmony, etc.

If you have Chord Chemistry, look at the pages on "Essential Chords" p.13-15 and the "Reference Charts" p.17-54. (If you don't have the book, run out and get it immediately!). Take notice of the top note of each chord, for that will be a useful tool in constructing your chord-melody arrangements.

Those pages will give you a lifetime of material to work with.  However, don't be intimidated by it all.  Ted would advise you to choose just a few chords from each section and get comfortable with them - make them your own.

In addition, here is a link to 3 pages on "Chord Forms for Chord Melody Playing - Level 1."  http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/chords/ChordFormsForChordMelodyPlaying_Level1_3pgs_1977-08-19.pdf

Again, learn just a few to start with and apply them to some song as soon as you can.  That will help solidify them in your fingers and mind. As you do more arrangements you'll want to add more forms to your collection of "favorites" and will look for those unique and different sounds.

Also, study Ted's arrangements and observe what forms he used and when - sometimes simple; sometimes complex. Learn some of his simpler arrangements first. You'll be amazed how much you can absorb just by learning some of them.  Check out my contributions in the "From Students" section for more clarity on deciphering some of Ted's arrangements.
Good luck!

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Paul,
You are very kind, and thanks for taking the time to reply.

Steve.

AsatBluesboy

Reply with quote  #4 
Hello Paul

Unluckily I'm not able to open the first page of the attached images. Everytime I try, the computer wants me to log in although I'm already logged in. And I can't find these pages in the teaching-section. Can you please post the first page again?

Thanks
Christoph

PaulV

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Christopher,
Welcome to Ted's teachings website.  Hope you find everything you're looking for...and much, much more!  I hope you'll participate in the Forum discussions.
I don't understand why you can download p.2 & 3 but not p.1....Hmmmm....
I'll attach it again here.  Let me know if this works for you.
--Paul

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Paul

Thank You very much. And guess what... today the first page of the older images also worked...

Thanks again
Christoph

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE