PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
Yank_Ster

Reply with quote  #1 
Good morning to all! I study music in Norway and have chosen to deliver a paper on parallels between baroque music and modern electric guitar music. The reason I chose to write this paper is that all my "guitar heroes" (Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen etc..) have at some point in their career either recorded or played live some sort of music from the baroque era. Why is this such an attractive era for guitarists? Upon Googling the subject into oblivia I came over this tribute site for Ted Greene and began checking his name on channels like youtube and reading the posts in this forum.. Everyone here seems to be quite solid when it comes to music theory, and Mr. Greene was obviously steady on baroque music, so I decided to try and open the subject for discussion.
How would you compare the use of scales in today's electric guitar music with the use of scales back then?
Which scales (and/or modes...) are most commonly used?
Another important question which needs answering is: what kind of techniques and theory do YOU apply when playing baroque music?
This may come off as a lazy man's job, just posting a topic and waiting for responses but the truth is I'm hoping to use replies as examples from practicing guitarists in the paper... I haven't reached the level of technical proficiency where i can comment these things myself and therefore deeply appreciate any input on the subject!
Anything and everything can be of help!

*Yank

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello,

in my opinion the parallels between what you call modern electric guitar playing and music from the baroque era are very, very small. I'm not even sure, if a thesis like "Malmsteen is inspired from baroque music" could stand closer examination, but "Malmsteen, Vai and Satriani all played baroque music at some point in their career" can surely not.

I would suggest to study and listen to some real baroque music and see for yourself, that a comparison between the music of Bach, Telemann, Scarlatti, Vivaldi etc. and that of guitarists like Malmsteen or Satriani is not a good idea.

Yank_Ster

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you for the input!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE