PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
barbaralovedcats

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello Fellow Ted Greene friends and family,  

I just dusted off a copy of Tom Chase's Pentatonic Guitar Guide, circa 1982.  Tom said the following among the acknowledgments: " Ted Greene, I would especially like to thank for having a musical standard that has inspired me greatly throughout our friendship"  

Has anybody ever seen or heard any of Tom's music?  If there is a website or youtube you could share then please do so. 

Thank you

BLC
DaveAnno

Reply with quote  #2 
Interesting, never heard of him. I searched for a while but couldn't find anything on Tom Chase but this:

http://www.tedgreenebookeditions.com/Dalezdenek/TomChase/PentatonicGuitarGuide/index.html

But you already have the book, lol.

Reply with quote  #3 
Hey Dave, Thank you for taking the time to respond.   It's another book by an individual who acknowledges being musically very deeply touched by Ted's spirit and music.  Tom has plenty to say about visualization in this book. I'd go as far as to say he considers it a key to success for the book's material.

It is not a typical single note usage of the pentatonic "scale" book . but rather more about using pentatonic harmonies in lieu of traditional harmonies. 

Tom also mentions Lyle "Spud" Murphy as an inspiration for the book. 

By the way, another almost "invisible" guitarist and composer is Eddie Arkin who wrote a book titled "Creative Chord Substitution for Jazz Guitar."    Anybody have information about Eddie Arkin.  He seems to me, based upon my exploration of his book,  to be an extraordinarily creative (perhaps the reason for the use of that word in the title) musical spirit.

Sincerely

BLC  

DaveAnno

Reply with quote  #4 
Wonder if this is the same Lyle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spud_Murphy

I looked for Eddie too, the info in the bio from his book is all I could find. Here's a clip I found of somebody playing an arrangement of his:

Reply with quote  #5 
Hey Dave, 

Once again, thank you.    I found a Barry Manilow album that Eddie Arkin and Barry Manilow worked on.   The search I did in my internet browswer was: Swing
Street Barry Manilow Youtube.    On some of the songs on that LP Eddie Arkin wore the following hats:  Arranger, Composer, Keyboards, Producer.     This is all that I have found.   And still, nothing on Tom Chase.   I thought I recalled Leon once mentioning Tom Chase here in TV land.  Perhaps Dan Sawyer knows these two gentleman.   However, it seems that both of these gentlemen have done a good job of maintaining their privacy and not wanting attention.  I imagine that would be a distraction from their professional work.  The road to learning more about these two musical spirits may have ended here. 

Sincerely

BLC 
barbaralovedcats

Reply with quote  #6 
Hey Dave,   

One other bit of information I forgot to mention in my previous post: I believe it's the same Mr. Murphy.  I am basing this on what Tom Chase mentioned in the introductory materials of his Pentatonics book. 

Sincerely

BLC
James

Reply with quote  #7 
Ed Arkin wrote a PMP Belwin-Mills published book called Sight Melodies 2 that I own.  I bought and studied almost all of the PMP books that are now out of print.  They were great.

I'm looking at Sight Melodies 2 now and it is all jazz duets, melody in part 1 and chord symbols above slash rhythms for part 2.  I sight read it with one of my sight reading partners in the 1980s.

I encourage you, if you want to be a better sight reader, find a partner and read stacks of music.  It's way more fun and better for you to read notes with at least one more person.  Of course, reading by yourself is great to do, too.

Edit: I just started playing Sight Melodies 2 again.  It's got some typos.  The first chord grid showing a G13 is wrong and bar 12 of the first study should have a Bb and not a B natural, etc.  I wrote corrections in my copy back in the 80s.  The overall sound is kind of 70's jazz fusion.  It's got some nice melody.  The reading involves shifting up and down the neck and lots of syncopation so it's not basic.  The chord voicings are fairly stock jazz chords.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #8 
James, 
Thought you might like to know that Jeffrey Brown, our new "Super Moderator" and webmaster is one of the guys who started PMP years ago.

Reply with quote  #9 
Thank you James, Eddie's books were PMP books before Belwin purchased the company. 

Tom Chase?
Eddie Arkin?    Check IMDB.com folks. 

Look for Tom as Thomas Chase.  something like 76 music score credits . . . Guitarist and composer.

Eddie is a fantastic composer and Jazz guitarist.  And owner of one of the "ES-Mitch"  335/55  type all natural custom gibsons. Among other things, Eddie had a little something to do with a character who wore a green MASK . . . and danced a bit? 
And tom is there too, tho I never worked with him personally (I don't think). 

Both new Ted pretty well.

L

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE