PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #1 
The August Newsletter is posted.  Enjoy
James

Reply with quote  #2 
Leon, I really enjoyed your description of Barbara's music room.  I only met her once at one of the Ted Greene memorial picnics.  I didn't really know anyone there and she was very kind and friendly to me.  She struck me as a beautifully caring person.
James

Reply with quote  #3 
For those interested in the V-System, this month I talk about which string sets each of the voicing groups naturally falls on in The Natural String Sets.  Then, expanding on what I wrote about last month on Ted's Method 1, I write about building chords using Method 1.  You can use Ted's SATB way of thinking to create any four note chord in any voicing group.  Check out the details in Method 1 - How to Build.  Then try your hand at building V-System chords by taking Quiz #2.  If you're stuck, the answers and intermediate steps to get the answers are posted, too.
Keith

Reply with quote  #4 
James,
Thank you, thank you. Thank you!!!

My best to you 
Keith
kontiki

Reply with quote  #5 

Great work from all once again.

Just a note to indicate a typo or oversight on the page: V-6_Learning_V-6_ChordColors-1991-09-08.pdf

On page 2 of the transcription, the second to last chord on the second line should be a C# (Db), not a D.

and as a matter of interpretation: same page, third line, fourth chord would probably make more sense as a C#m7b5 or Em6 instead of an A9. This way it functions as either a ii or iv.  To illustrate my case, try playing the full chords with bass notes (A9 or Em6 or C#m7b5) at that spot and I believe you'll find that an A9 doesn't cut it.

And just a question: what happened to Ted's original page of 
V-6_GradualProgramForAbsorptionOfV-6ChordColors-1991-08-31.pdf  ?

Again, Bravo! for all the work! These comments are as usual just splitting hairs.

Reply with quote  #6 
I'd like to share some fingerings for a few of the V-6 chords.

The one for the Bmaj7 with the root in the soprano wasn't at all obvious to me.  At first I tried double stopping with the pinky.  That's really hard and didn't work for me.  But a pinky barre that covers the unused 4th string and tilts up to miss the first string did the trick.

The B7 with the fifth in the soprano can be double stopped or second finger barred.  I can't decide which is easier.

The cross fingered B7 with the b7 on top might be useful in certain situations.  Like on the first line of Ted's sheet Learning V-6 colors.  The fifth and sixth chords are A7 going to Dmaj7 with a tie.  I'd use the cross fingering in that situation.

The Bm7 seems easier with the fifth finger technique (diagonal first finger barre) than with separate fingers.

Let me know if any of these suggestions are helpful.  Maybe you have some other good fingerings.  Sometimes, in lessons, I asked Ted how to finger certain chords in his arrangements.  He would often have two or three good fingerings.  He also would finger things in ways that weren't always immediately obvious to me.  And sometimes fingering can make all the difference.

Attached Images
png fingerings.png (6.84 KB, 15 views)

LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #7 
James, this thread isn't really for the music discussion kind of post. It is just to focus on the newsletters themselves. It would be useful to have your post in the V section if you don't mind.

thnks
Leon
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #8 
I enjoy your description of Barbie's music room. She would often play the piano there for hours working on her weekly assignment. People may not realize that Barbie took a weekly piano lesson for many years. She loved Bach and also kept a list on the piano of standard songs she and Ted loved. Besides the Princeton amp there would sometimes be a small Guild electric (M-65?) or a Tele.

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi Leon,

I will be glad to post in any section you like.

I will point out that I'm discussing V-Sys stuff that came out this month and that is mentioned in this month's newsletter.  And also, that for the past two months we had similar posts in the newsletter area of the forum about V-Sys stuff that came out in those months.

Anyway, do you want me to repost my message in another location?
James

Reply with quote  #10 
I certainly don't mean to start a conflict with Leon.  We're all on the same team here: the TG team.  I appreciate that he's trying to keep the forum tidy.  We just have work out how best to do that.
kontiki

Reply with quote  #11 
Basically the problem is that we know "now" that this discussion is "here" in this thread. But how will someone in the future looking for this information be able to find it? How will he remember which newsletter generated discussion about V-system fingering? He might remember that it was the newsletter that introduced V.6, but how will he remember which month that was? he'll have to search through the newsletter archives. And what about the person in the future who doesn't even know that it was discussed in the newsletter thread? he'll probably never see it (how many of us new (and old) to the site read all the old newsletter threads?)
    So in a perfect world: a new thread is created with a relevant name and in a relevant place, and all relevant discussions would be found there. This way anybody looking for posts dealing with V system fingerings would just have to look in the right (logical) place.

Reply with quote  #12 
I agree with Kontiki that a detailed discussion about any subject is best placed in the Forums under that subject.  We have several threads on the V-System that will be a better resource than the monthly Newsletter announcements /general comments.  
Also, if anyone writes up some pages regarding application, transcriptions, or helpful hints for Ted's lesson sheets, this might better serve everyone if we post them in the "From Students" section.  In cases like this, you could contact me for getting them included in future monthly new items.  Thanks!

Reply with quote  #13 
Okay.  I have reposted my V-6 fingerings in Forums>Harmony & Theory>Fingerings for V-System chords.  May your ears delight and your hands not hurt!  May your forum searches yield all that you seek!  May the spirit of Ted keep us practicing and laughing!
PaulV

Reply with quote  #14 
Kontiki,
I've made the corrections to the  "V-6_Learning_V-6_ChordColors" file and have sent it to our webmaster, but it may not get posted until next month.  Thank you.
Regarding the omission of Ted's original page: there will be a few rare instances when we will post a "transcription" page that includes Ted's original graphics and text (typed), but not the original page.  The reason for this is simply that other than the typed text there is no different between the two pages, and to include both is unnecessary redundancy. Trust us that you're not missing anything.  

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE