PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
Wckoek

Reply with quote  #1 
While I understand that Ted mainly focus on Jazz music, do he have any interest in Tango music, such as those by Astor Piazzolla?

Regards

Koek Wei Chew
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #2 
I don't know, but Tango Zero Hour is a great CD.

Reply with quote  #3 

Dan, is there anything you don't listen to. I want your Strat and your CD collection. I'll trade you a gallon of "liquid bone".

Reply with quote  #4 

As I have mentioned before, Ted’s knowledge of all music was immense.  One could hardly talk about any form of music or musician that Ted wasn’t familiar with.  So, yes he did know Astor Piazolla’s work.  The Tango, would resonate with the “Tango spirit” of Ted’s soul.  I told him of my swoon over Placido Domigo sings Tangos.  I don’t remember if I made him listen.  I’m sure he would have loved it, but we would have talked through it, as we always did.  Additionally, I have to speak for my friend, Ted never saw himself as a “jazz” guitarist.  While he admired jazz players, he never saw himself as one.  We can call him that, and often do, but…….he would have lovingly corrected us.

DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #5 
Good point William. Ted hated being called a jazz guitarist because he thought the word jazz carried expectations of Tal Farlow or Billy Bean, etc.

Reply with quote  #6 
thanks William.  I think your reminder is really important. I'm not sure we don't make up a new category, in general.  "So and so is sort of a TedGreene type guitarist."  But the problem might be we'd never have to use it.

The film score performances would nix almost everyone I can think of - and that's just one area.  However we could say "I'd like to be a . . ." perhaps.  Yet that might not be accurate either, as I'm not sure we could really define the term. Hmmm.  I'm still stuck with "play like Ted Greene," or "play like Ted."

It May come down to this:  My toddler son once asked what the color "red" was.  Try it. I don't think you can get there in words alone.  That might be the case here.

-Leon
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #7 
One more thought:  the 'jazz guitarist' label when used, may suggest that we're not showing the full spectrum of Ted to those who never met him or heard him do his 'improvisational composing.'  Perhaps we ought to work on that.  We'd have to be careful though as it can become hard to believe when you describe him. 

Thoughts anyone?

L
klasaine

Reply with quote  #8 
It's pretty tough to "overstate" how awesome Ted was ... IS, because I don't think his level of understanding and discipline will ever be matched. He knew more about  harmony and theory - and how to immediately apply it - than anyone I've ever met, heard about, or read. When you sat down in front of Ted and watched him do his thing on guitar ... I don't know anyone who didn't say, "he's the best there ever was or will be". And yes, it's hard to believe if you never got to experience that ... but it's the truth.

I just ordered a CD copy of "movin' wes" from amazon so that I can re-listen while I read TG's commentary. I can't wait!

Reply with quote  #9 
...i completely agree with what you are saying,ken.Ted cant'
be over estimated..this i believe true also as a guy..i mean
Ted was also the best [as in good] guy i ever met...by far.Joe diorio,who i hope is doin great wherever he is,once tald me:
"...Ted Greene should just be placed on a pedestal and admired."
  with love ,Rafi.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE