PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
PaulV

Reply with quote  #1 
Check this out.  

Reply with quote  #2 
As I am new to the forum, I am roaming around the topics, so apologies for replying to year-old posts.

Know that my harmonic technique is sub-par, so an informative post for me.

At :40, where Genil demonstrates the right hand, he positions the thumb behind (atop?) his ring finger.  Interesting how different muscles of the right hand come into play depending on which finger the thumb positions behind.  Thumb behind middle finger versus thumb behind ring finger.  I am finding that following Genil's cue that the thumb picks up greater leverage - more torque - for the string strike, and the bottom fingers of the right-hand feel more engaged.

I have slowed this section down to .25 speed and observed the interaction - the rhythm so to speak - between the index "fretting" the harmonic and the thumb-strike that follows - not quite simultaneous - or is it?

I have experimented with the ring-finger making the strike, rather than the thumb, and had some success, but not enough to rely on.

Would be interested in hearing from others re: which fingers of right hand, and general timing/sequence for fretting/strike of the harmonic.  Any tips, practice materials, etc., truly appreciated.  Also, do you find that tone settings help to draw the harmonic out?  Sometimes I wonder if my technique is OK but my gear isn't rendering the desired outcome.

klasaine

Reply with quote  #3 
Bridge (back) pickup will always give you better results when you're learning this technique. After a while you can get it with any pickup.
Also, make sure you're lifting up your index finger immediately after striking the string with your thumb or ring finger.
The idea is for the placement of the index finger and then the thumb strike to be simultaneous though there is probably a nano second of a lag.

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you, Ken.  I appreciate the tips.  I've got the inclination AND the time, so maybe finally will get it.

Mike 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE