PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
PaulV

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey guys,
The April Newsletter is now up.  Dig in!
http://www.tedgreene.com/news/default.asp

Comments, questions, requests, feedback, praise , ideas , (complaints even ).....post them here. 

Reply with quote  #2 
Hey, thank you all for this month lessons!

James, amazing work you have done with the V-system. Excellent written and easy to understand. It will certainly pop up questions over time. Thank You!

About this month arrangement (Secret Love). I can recommend that you listen to Danny Gatton playing this tune. There's some sick telecaster magic on his "Danny Gatton - In Concert" album.

I would also like to thank Paul for taking the time to write out the lyrics on his compilation pages. I have noticed that the music is easier to learn, and I play differently when I have the words to a song. Anyone else who had the same experience?

/Anders.
NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #3 
Ted used to tell me of the benefits to learning the lyrics to a song in order to phrase the melody like a singer would sing it.  Ditto on the kuddos to James for the V-chord work.  What a monumental task undertaken!  We are all enriched because of your efforts!

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you.  Presenting the V-System was a lot of work but it was also a pleasure.  It certainly was important to Ted.  I hope it will be of ongoing benefit to the worlds of guitar and music theory.

I, too, like having the lyrics in Paul's compilations.  So often a standard is widely known as a tune but forgotten as words.  It's nice to get the words.
NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #5 

Now that all of Ted’s improvisational recordings are posted, I thought you would enjoy this!  Barbara loaned to me this CD early on to dup a copy for myself and I also scanned the J-card with Ted and Barbara's notes written on it.  It’s fun to read all the notes (Ted was his biggest critic) regarding the sounds, etc.  I am not sure how one arrived at the August 24th date, but it looks like it was really early August of 2001.  Barbara also names the vintage Guild guitars used for the project!  I think “Chubbie” was auctioned off at a benefit for Joe Diorio for around $1K.

I took the liberty of naming a few more tracks:
06 Improvisation #06 – Minor Jazz Blues
09 Improvisation #09 – Ballad Type
12 Improvisation #12 – Bossa Type

Attached Images
jpeg Cover_1.jpg (595.58 KB, 33 views)

PaulV

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Nick,
Thanks for sharing this with us.  It would have been nice to have this before posting the audio files.
If you ask Dan Sindel, perhaps he can rename track #6 (as Minor Jazz Blues) and track 9 (as Ballad Type).
Track 12 (Improvisation #12) is already labeled as "Bossa Type"

Also, just wanted to let everyone know that recording which we posted in the Audio section and which Barbara called "Solo Guitar Improvisation" is not the last of Ted's informal improvisation recordings.  There's more that will be posted in the coming months.  Also, Barbara had assigned the Aug. 24th day, so I never questioned that.

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Paul,
Sorry for the delay in posting this new info on the audio files.  After they were posted, I decided to compare them to the ones I had and just happened to find the scan on the J-card I forgot I had.  Sometimes I pretend to be organized!  Yes, "Bossa Type" was already named.  I think my footnote about that one was ... it's posted on the webpage twice!  Regarding the date discrepancy, maybe Barbara was using the completion date for the entire collection.  I am not aware of more improv tracks!  How exciting!

More suggestions for naming/referencing the tracks:
15 IMPROVISATION #15 – SHUFFLE, DRY
16 IMPROVISATION #16 – SHUFFLE WITH DELAY

Nick

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks for the new stuff this month.  Like the "Secret Love" arrangement and comping.  The "Walking Chord Blues" is great, of course!
Keep up the good work, guys.

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi guys,
I messed up with the file of "V-2 Structures in the Overtone Dominant Scale" lesson pages.
This is located in the V-System / V-System Lesson Pages / V-2 section.
I forgot to include Ted's three original pages.
This is now corrected, so if you downloaded that 7-page document, you'll want to delete it and get the new 10-page version.
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/v_system/V-2_StructuresInTheOvertoneDominantScale_2001.pdf

Sorry, but these things happen.
Complex pages like this takes a lot of work, and we get input from various people.  This one was a collaboration of translation and graphics by yours truly, comments and guidance from James Hober, proofreading by David Bishop, and of course the website posting by Dan Sindel.  You should be happy that you don't have to try to decipher Ted's original pages, which are pretty hard to read and interpret.  As mentioned many times, these pages are from Ted's personal music study files, and they were never meant for handing out to students or publishing as they are.  These are his experiments and explorations on certain concepts he was working on....so he wasn't trying to be neat.  Hopefully our "transcription" or "translation" pages help.  However, this is a pretty complex subject to begin with, so don't trouble yourself over it too much.  Find a couple of chords that you like and make some music with them!

Reply with quote  #10 
Are you all able to download this page?
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/v_system/V-2_StructuresInTheOvertoneDominantScale_2001.pdf

It should be 10 pages.  It works for me, but another person told me he doesn't get pages 8, 9, and 10 (Ted's original pages).
Let us know.
Thanks.

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi Blackie,
I believe that what you're referring to is Ted's note, "20 per" for each voicing with the soprano on top.
This page is for Bb7 chords (and extensions and alterations) built from using the overtone dominant scale.  
You'll see that each row has a a different soprano note on top:  Bb in row 1; Ab on top for row 2; C on top for row 3; then D, E, F, and G.

If you count the chord diagrams in each row you will find 20 different chords...but you'll need to include all the optional notes as separate chords.  (As usual these are marked with a O, an unfilled dot.).
So for each row you'll find "20 different chords per" soprano note.
(I'm sure James would describe it better, but I think this explains it sufficiently, and you don't have to think that you'll never figure it out.)
Hope this helps.  

Update:  If you read the last paragraph on page 7, you'll see that James did explain this.  So now you have it twice.  You should get it now, huh?  

Reply with quote  #12 
When you and others find the material here meaningful, fun, and insightful, that is what this site is all about.

As Paul said, this particular set of pages was quite complex.  I'm glad my contribution was helpful.  The substantial work that Paul did on this transcription and continues to do on many others represents astounding dedication and caring in the sharing of all things Ted.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE