PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
Gibifone

Reply with quote  #1 
I am in my dotage, and have been playing guitar since I was 15.
Like all of us, when I first got the bite, I had it bad. Given the chance,from dawn 'til dusk, I would play for hours on end, neglecting my ablutions, eating on the run, and ignoring the time.

But here's a note of caution. If whilst playing, you feel any kind of cramps, any  tingling or numbness in your fretboard-hand, then stop playing immediately and give it a rest. If it occurs too often, see your doctor.

Because I didn't heed these wrnings, I am currently suffering yet another severe bout of RSI. (Maybe even gout!) My hand is swollen, my thumb joint is throbbing, and it's murder trying to do anything involving gripping, or picking up anything even slightly heavy. I am hoping that as usual, this will go away after a rest, but I do think I ignored too many warning signs in my youth.

And just as I was finally getting it where chord-melody is concerned too. [biggrin]

Old John
[thumb]

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi John, hope you recover quickly! Gout? Yikes, I thought that happens because of one's diet.

Reply with quote  #3 
 Hi Dave...

Re the gout... I was told that diet is the cause, but if that's so, then the list of foods you shouldn't eat doesn't leave much to eat!  Except the things I don't like... [smile]

The good news is that this evening the pain is lessening, and I managed to get through  'Stella by Starlight' without too much agony.

Cheers

Old John [thumb]

Reply with quote  #4 
Gibifone,

If you really think you have gout, why not go to a doctor and let him diagnose it?  My understanding is that the definitive test is to draw blood out of the inflamed area, look at it under a microscope, and see if there are uric acid crystals in it.

I'm not a doctor and therefore cannot offer medical advice.  But pure, organic cherry juice is what I would immediately drink if I thought I had gout.
Gibifone

Reply with quote  #5 
It's not that easy James. Our UK Doctors reckon they are 'run ragged'. Hence, I made an appointment on Friday for later today!  Our wonderful National Health Service is being eroded somewhat.
The problem is much easier today and the visible symptoms are lessening. Maybe the Doc will be able to make that diagnosis. I hope so!

Cheers

Old John

Reply with quote  #6 
Old John, you said...."If whilst playing, you feel any kind of cramps, any  tingling or numbness in your fretboard-hand, then stop playing immediately and give it a rest."
The importance of this excellent advice is too often only realized after the damage has been done, however, your symptoms don't sound like RSI to me..I've had RSI a couple of times in my 45 years of playing (to the point of having to have my fretting hand wrist in plaster for a month), and would describe the symptom as an unbearable needle prick sort of pain..maybe yours it is indeed gout?

Gibifone

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi GG.

For sure I do suffer the tingling, like a thousand pinpricks in my fingers, and numbness associated with it.  These days I stop when this occurs and get out for a breath of air. I mentioned the gout, because I had an attack once, some twenty years ago. The pain I was feeling the other day was just as intense, but it wasn't constant.  Once before I had this swollen and bruised wrist problem, and it seemed to be connected with prolonged bouts of playing, and attacks of the tingling and numbness. Hence I concluded that I had been overdoing it again. Many of us guitarists do just that.

On the other hand, I have friends who play even more than I, yet they never suffer so much as a 'hang-nail'! Maybe it's genetic.  [biggrin]

To be serious again I shall find out more this evening. The swelling is much reduced, but there's enough for the Doc to realise that something isn't right.

Wish me luck folks. I want to get over this, so I can proceed with a new arrangement of 'It could Happen To You'!  Of course, only when it's safe to do so. [smile]

Incidentally, is it permissible to post guitar related videos on the forum?

Old John. [thumb]

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Old John,
Good luck with your visit with the doctor....hopefully something can be done to treat your problem.
As for videos....sure, go ahead and post links to YouTube. 
I would suggest to put them in the "Celebrating Solo Guitar" section of the Forum, not in the "General Topics."

Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks Paul...

I'll keep that in mind, although I hardly think my efforts will 'celebrate' solo guitar, but we'll try! [smile]

I'll keep post on the wrist problem.

Thanks again
Old John

Reply with quote  #10 
The unbearable needle prick I mentioned (RSI) is like one localized jab in the wrist when you try to do anything with it; when you say "like a thousand pinpricks in my fingers, and numbness associated with it", that sounds like a jammed nerve...I get that same feeling down my leg sometimes due to sciatic nerve impingement in the lower back. Anyway, good luck.
Gibifone

Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks GB.

According to the Doctor, I have gout in the thumb joint.
Meds for that didn't completely do the trick, so I don't know what next. At the moment I am not playing, and my fingers get softer! I am sure things will pan out eventually. Just rest it and wear the hand-splint for a month I guess.

Cheers
Old John   [thumb] (Ooops. I shouldn't be able to give a thumbs-up! )

Reply with quote  #12 
Please google "cherry juice for gout."  I wasn't joking when I posted that above.
Gibifone

Reply with quote  #13 
Thanks James.

I had heard that cherry juice is good and I appreciate your intent. I will have a look at that and hope it isn't too much of a problem for the Type 2 I have been diagnosed as. However, I cut out all the starch from my diet, and my sugars are normalising now. So I might get away with a bit of fruit juice.

Still, this is a guitar related forum after all, so I am trying to work out a new arr. of 'Our Love is Here to Stay'!   Maybe the gout isn't!

Thanks again

Old John  [thumb]

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE