PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings,
Ted used to give me bass lines to harmonize or things like this to fill in and I loved doing it, so...... 
I thought maybe someone else might enjoy this.  I have the solutions Ted came up with, but there are many others.  
Let me know if this is something you enjoy????  Barbara

Attached Images
jpeg Quiz_-fill_in_inner_voices.jpg (936.64 KB, 109 views)

Zorshelter

Reply with quote  #2 
Great idea, I had a try at the exercise, did that too fast and didn't try to embelish things, so one possible solution by the master himself would be appreciated

I'm inserting my attemp, if anyone wants to have a look at it, good luck, I don't know if it's readable

Edit: forgot to finish one exercise...

Zorshelter

Reply with quote  #3 
Oups, the attachment has diseappeared

Attached Images
jpeg Scan_050_(1240_x_1754).jpg (560.81 KB, 38 views)

barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Z! 
Great that you did this. I printed it out and will look at it later - it didn't print out too well, but it is readable with my reading glasses!
There IS one completed example at the bottom of Ted's page. Did you notice? If so, and it wasn't sufficient, I will post another, just let me know. 

I love your enthusiasm!  Barbara

Reply with quote  #5 
ah, well I didn't get the open/closed triads, I'll have to have a better look at the given solution....anyway a few more example wouldn't hurt
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #6 
Your results don't have to exactly match Ted's.  There are many solutions.  If I have time I'll do a few later this evening and post them tomorrow.  For now...
here are the first 2 full lines:

Attached Images
jpeg Quiz_-_Sample_solutions_copy.jpg (331.56 KB, 36 views)

barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #7 
Well Z,
It doesn't appear that anyone else has much interest in doing this.  I will post the rest of Ted's solutions for you.
Also I did the first two examples. You will notice I lowered them one octave and wrote on two staves as this is the way that is familiar to me. I also find it easier to read.  After I worked them out I transferred them to one staff and put them back up an octave.
However,  I only tried it on the piano, so I am not sure how well it works for guitar.   Barbara

Attached Images
jpeg Barbara's_solutions.jpg (373.70 KB, 31 views)
jpeg Quiz_-_Sample_solutions_copy.jpg (906.57 KB, 25 views)

Zorshelter

Reply with quote  #8 
Thank you Barbara, it's great you took time to make a few examples of your own, it's a fun exercice more forumites should show some interest but anyway I'll take some time have a look at the solutions so thanks
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #9 
oops. forgot to put the 2nd bar of example #2 back into the treble clef. sorry. B.

Reply with quote  #10 
Sorry Barbara it does look interesting. I'm working on other things and with the recent move I don' t have a printer to print that out.

We're so lucky to have you sharing Ted's legacy with us. Sadly no one around me understands what it is I do!

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi Will, I know you've been very busy.  Moving is never an easy prospect. But when you have more time and the inclination, the page will remain posted here for your perusal and perhaps attempt a solution or two if you so chose.  I think you'd be good at this!   Hope things are finally settling into place in your new home.  Best, Barbara

Reply with quote  #12 
Oh well, so much for the music puzzle idea.  I hadn't done this for a long while and actually still found it enjoyable.  David Bishop was kind enough to go over what I'd done, as per my request, and (gasp!) discovered a parallel 5th in the 1st bar of the first exercise and also suggested a much better resolution to the last bar of the 2nd exercise!  (Thanks David)
Since I have to write these by hand and since there is minimal interest I won't bother posting the re-voicings I did in those two places. 

Perhaps there will be an interest someday, or not.  Meanwhile, it has re-kindled my interest and it surely wouldn't be a bad idea for me to review this area as time permits.  Then again, I love doing this, and harmonizing bass lines, and experimenting with canon and fugue writing, but that's just me.... and Ted, and  one of the activities we both enjoyed working on together. Barbara

Reply with quote  #13 
Hi Barbara:

If you ever feel the urge to harmonize bass lines or melodies or just write your own chord progressions, I am always happy to offer any help or advise you might want.  Just drop me a line privately.  I enjoy this sort of thing, too.

Reply with quote  #14 
I'd like to see more specific information on writing a fugue. At a basic level you repeat the initial subject in different voices, up a fifth, modulating, etc. But coming up with other parts to accompany the subject, etc even if it's simple would be great.

I watched Richard Grayson on YouTube improvise a fugue based off of the Muppet show theme, it was pretty awesome.

Reply with quote  #15 
Will, I made this for one of our Ted Greene picnics in case it rained that day.
It was just for fun but, nonetheless the very basics!   You absolutely need to get a book and study this art.  You could easily end up writing yourself into a corner over and over again.  Have fun.  Barbara

Attached Images
jpeg Fugue_Instructions.jpg (838.76 KB, 26 views)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE