PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
Patlotch2

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello,

I'm a French guitarist. Sorry, my English is bad. I practice jazz guitar since 1978, a little bass and bass. I know very well the history of jazz guitar, I wrote a "History of jazz guitar like a piano"

I played in trio without bassist with a 7 string hollow body, and since this year I work with an 8 string (ESP LTD M-1008 Multi-Scale), whose sound suits me, close to the Telecaster (Ed Bickert, Ted Greene, Tim Lerch ...). Shooting Flatwound 12 16 24 32 42 52 Roundwound 72 80. EADGCFAD tuning.

I use fingerpicking 5 fingers right hand without fingernail, incorporating various inputs:

- Charles Postlewate, Right Hand Studies - Five Fingers, which I extended to melodic lines to 5 fingers pim, ima, mac...
- Jimmy Wyble, The Art of Two-Line Improvisation, with pm/ia/mc
- Ted Greene V-System V1 V6, V4, V2 V7 (I knew the V2, V4 and V1 series learned with Pierre Cullaz in Paris)
- Permutations of melodic units learned with Ray Estwick in 1978

I have developed many explanations of this technical and musical sauce in two subjects (in French):

- TECHNIQUES and MUSICS, IMPROVISATION for GUITARE. 5 fingers right hand
http://patlotch.forumactif.com/t171-techniques-et-musiques-improvisation-pour-guitare-5-doigts-main-droite

- 7 and 8 CORDES, guitars-and-basses, improv/composition, investigations
http://patlotch.forumactif.com/t188-7-et-8-cordes-guitares-et-basses-impro-composition-investigations

Thank you for your (possible) interest.

Jean-Paul Chabard
Patlotch@free.fr

Reply with quote  #2 
Bienvenue sur ce riche forum !
---------------------------------------
Welcome here !

Reply with quote  #3 

excuse my bad English, in French below

some clarifications and suggestions for work:

on the tuning of the 7 strings or 8 strings guitar for jazz:
I specified my preference for tuning the bass strings in fourths. B for the 7th and not A, F for the 8th, in fact for me a tone below, which gives EADGCFAD
this is Ted Greene's opinion regarding the 7 strings, taken over by Tim Lerch, here: https://forums.tedgreene.com/post/seven-string-lesson-5453520?trail=15#5

"His take on it was that it would be more work a first but better in the long run to tune the low string to B. It sounds more integrated sonically and the logic of the fingerboard continues onto the low string.  He thought the low A is an expedient that had it's limits. Then he laughed and said the GVE didn't seem to have any limitations with it! Have fun with your 7 sting adventure."

Ted humorously points out that A-tuning was not a problem for George Van Eps* (or Ron Eschete and others). That's true, but I'd say it's to be considered in the context of the characteristics of GVE's playing and his methods Harmonics Mecanisms that concern, cautiously, the guitar 6 strings

* Steve Herberman : « VanEps tuned his low 7th string to a low G. Everything else was also tuned down a whole step as well. You would have needed to give him a Bb part to
hear it sound in concert key. [...] My main reason for using the low A tuning is an issue of range. » 
By tuning a tone below it has no problem of range, the sound is better on a solidbody for jazz, and with 8 strings it goes down as low as a double bass

with the B tuning of the 7th string, we keep the patterns of scales, intervals and chords as long as we do not introduce the two high strings B and E, and this is the most important for the fluidity of the bass line in counterpoint or walking bass chords

I have long used the A chord recommended by my teacher Pierre Cullaz, because of the same note same fret as on the 5th string, at the lower octave. For walking bass chords, I used the series drop 2 and drop 3 (V-2 and V-4) and low notes of passage according to the usual construction of jazz bassists (diatonic or chromatic below or above, fourths...), either in the position of chords by moving the finger or changing chord position in the manner of Melody Chords

but this technique proved too cumbersome. At that time I played in hybrid technique, pick between thumb and index finger, m.a.c for chords and melody, without having pushed fingerpicking in the manner of classical guitarists

by adopting the 8 strings this year, I wanted to completely transform my technique: 5 fingers right hand without nails, fragmentation of chords in intervals and counterpoint, to release all parts, bass, harmony, melody. It's a huge job, especially for pinky, which should be used systematically as much as other fingers, and likewise the thumb on the high strings

we get to a point where we no longer care about the right hand, because there is always a finger available to do the job, and I think it was at this stage that George Van Eps and Ted Greene got to, which is why they do not give indications for the right hand

it is here that some of the series of the V-System are useful, others less because they are found themselves by changing the octave of one voice. The difference between the A and B tuning is that the V-1 to V-6 (with bass) series removes the large extensions to the back of the neck and the V-2 to V-7 (with bass) series produces a forward extension. See ACCORDS - "PIANO" WITH BASSES type 1-357, 3-571, 5-713, 7-135
"Johnny Smith/Allan Holdworth Chords" with Bass
http://patlotch.forumactif.com/t188-7-et-8-cordes-guitares-et-basses-impro-composition-investigations#2896

the ultimate goal, in my opinion, is to connect understanding on the handle, and musically, between scales, intervals, and chords, so that melody and harmony are only one and the same thing, which is basically an ear problem, to play what we hear in the head and not what falls under the fingers

I argue that in any music, what gives meaning is melody and rhythm, whose harmony gives only function and coloration (for example, b5, #5 will color the dominant function of X7 defined by 3 and b7). It is this color that must be anticipated by the inner ear more than according to rules or match-modes. The two essential melodies are bass and singing voice, the rest gives it a dynamic orientation and color

use of triads:
it is advocated by GVP but it also emphasizes a lot on the sixth and tenth, with upper melodic movements, internal or lower, in which we find the triads more flexibly, a bit like Jimmy Wyble Two Line Primer
http://www.davidoakesguitar.com/pdf/two_line_primer.pdf

personally I did not learn the basic harmony with the triads but directly with the chords of 4 notes. So Van Eps' logic doesn't suit me. I prefer the false "triades" obtained by the reversals of the V-2 and V-4 chord series (drop 2 and drop3). Thinking chords as such triads with such bass is for me an intellectual clutter as complicated and unnecessary as the use of such mode on such chord

thank you for your patience 

quelques précisions et suggestions de travail :

sur l'accordage de la guitare 7 cordes ou 8 cordes pour le jazz :
j'ai précisé ma préférence pour l'accordage en quartes des cordes graves. B pour la 7e et non A, F# pour la 8e, en fait un ton en dessous, qui donne EADGCFAD
c'est l'opinion de Ted Greene concernant la 7 cordes, repris par Tim Lerch, ici

Ted souligne avec humour que l'accordage en A n'a pas posé de problème à George Van Eps* (ni à Ron Eschete et d'autres). C'est vrai, mais je dirais que c'est à considérer dans le contexte des caractéristiques de son jeu et de ses méthodes Harmonics Mecanisms qui concernent, prudemment, la guitare 6 cordes

* Steve Herberman : « VanEps accordait sa 7e corde basse en G. Tout le reste a également été accordé de même un ton plus bas. Vous auriez eu besoin de lui donner une partie Bb dans la clé de concert [comme les vents]. [] Ma principale raison d'utiliser le bas A tuning est une question de tessiture. » En accordant un ton en dessous il n'y a pas de problème de tessiture, le son est meilleur sur un solidbody pour le jazz, et avec 8 cordes on descend aussi bas qu'une contrebasse

avec l'accordage en B de la 7e corde (autrement en quartes), on conserve les schémas de gammes, intervalles et accords tant qu'on introduit pas les deux cordes aiguës B et E, et c'est le plus important pour la fluidité de la ligne de basse en contrepoint ou walking bass chords

j'ai longtemps utilisé l'accord en A que préconisait mon professeur Pierre Cullaz, en raison de la même note même frette que sur la 5e corde, à l'octave inférieure. Pour les walking bass chords, j'utilisais les séries drop 2 et drop 3 (V-2 et V-4) et des notes basses de passage selon la construction habituelle des contrebassistes de jazz (diatonique ou chromatique par-dessous ou par-dessus, quartes...), soit en position d'accords en déplaçant le doigt soit en changeant de position d'accord à la manière des Chords Melody

mais cette technique s'est avérée trop lourde. À cette époque je jouais en technique hybride, médiator entre pouce et index, mac pour accords et mélodie, sans avoir poussé le fingerpicking à la manière des guitaristes classiques

en adoptant la 8 cordes cette année, j'ai voulu transformer complètement ma technique : 5 doigts main droite sans ongles, fragmentation des accords en intervalles et contrepoint, pour libérer toutes les parties, basses, harmonie, mélodie. C'est un travail énorme, notamment pour le pinky, qu'il convient d'utiliser systématiquement autant que les autres doigts, et de même le pouce sur les cordes aiguës

on arrive à un point où l'on ne se préoccupe plus de la main droite, parce qu'il y a toujours un doigt disponible pour faire le job, et je pense que c'est à se stade qu'étaient parvenus George Van Eps et Ted Greene, ce qui explique qu'ils ne donnent pas d'indications pour la main droite

c'est ici que certaines des séries du V-System sont utiles, d'autres moins en tant que telles car on les trouve soi-même par modification d'octave des voies. La différence entre l'accordage en A et en B est que la série V-1 vers V-7 supprime les grandes extensions vers l'arrière du manche et que la série V-2 vers V-6 produit une extension vers l'avant. Voir ACCORDS "DE PIANO" AVEC BASSES de type 1-357, 3-571, 5-713, 7-135
"Johnny Smith/Allan Holdworth Chords" with Bass 
http://patlotch.forumactif.com/t188-7-et-8-cordes-guitares-et-basses-impro-composition-investigations#2896

le but ultime, à mon avis, est de relier la compréhension sur le manche, et musicalement, entre gammes, intervalles, et accords, de telle sorte que mélodie et harmonie ne soient plus qu'une seule et même chose, ce qui est fondamentalement un problème d'oreille, pour jouer ce qu'on entend dans la tête et non ce qui tombe sous les doigts

je soutiens que dans toute musique, ce qui donne le sens est la mélodie et le rythme, dont l'harmonie ne donne que la fonction et la coloration (par exemple, b5, #5 vont colorer la fonction de dominante de X7 définie par 3 et b7). C'est cette couleur qu'il faut anticiper par l'oreille intérieure davantage que selon des règles ou des correspondances accords-modes. Les deux mélodies essentielles sont la basse et le chant, le reste lui donne une orientation dynamique et une coloration

utilisation des triades :
elle est préconisée par GVP mais il insiste beaucoup aussi sur les sixtes et dixièmes, avec mouvements mélodiques supérieur, interne ou inférieur, dans lesquels on retrouve les triades de façon plus souple, un peu comme chez Jimmy Wyble Two Line Primer
http://www.davidoakesguitar.com/pdf/two_line_primer.pdf

personnellement je n'ai pas appris l'harmonie de base avec les triades mais directement avec les accords de 4 notes. Donc la logique de Van Eps ne me convient pas. Je préfère les fausses "triades" obtenus par les renversements des séries d'accords V-2 et V-4 (drop 2 et drop3). Penser les accords comme telle triades avec telle basse est pour moi un encombrement intellectuel aussi compliqué et inutile que l'utilisation de tel mode sur tel accord

merci pour votre patience 

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE