PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 10 of 10     «   Prev   7   8   9   10
SteveBrodie

Reply with quote  #136 
I have diagrammed what I think Mark had in mind.  Mark let me know if it's wrong.  Too bad the proceeding C7 has that high C as the melody note.  If it involved a lower note, we could play some type of C7 with the 3rd an octave lower than what I diagrammed.  I tryed, but I can't make the reach.

Also, I corrected the fingerings of that Dm(maj7), the f and a are double stopped with the 2nd finger, the d note on the d string(12th frt) is with the 3rd finger, to leave the 4th finger available for the b melody note...

Funeral_March.jpg

Attached Images
jpeg Funeral_March.jpg (198.92 KB, 96 views)

MarkThornbury

Reply with quote  #137 
That's it exactly. And don't feel too bad about the C7/E being an octave up...the effect still works, and similar effects have been used in organ music, as well as conventional orchestration where, say, the lower strings would be brought in on the I chord... There are psychoacoustic reasons why it will still seem like a linear moving bass line, I've seen articles based on Schachter analysis that would point out that the ear sort of memorizes the F-E-F and doesn't really notice the jump of a maj 7th interval, rather instead senses a sort of strengenthening of the tonic, etc.  Highly disallowed in vocal part writing of the XVIth century, but Bach did stuff like this all the time...

Sorry to sound like an egghead, I'm no professor, and the bottom line is that it works!

Reply with quote  #138 
For those who were asking about my guitar at the picnic; it's a 1979 Fender Stratocaster with Barden pickups. It's a hard-tail (no whammy bar), and is amazingly light for a 1970s era Fender. I originally bought it because of the weight. Solid ash body and maple fingerboard. The neck has been re-fretted and the fretboard radius was made slightly flatter. It also has the Feiten tuning system. To my ears, the hard-tail strats are a little closer to the Telecaster sound than a regular strat.

Reply with quote  #139 

Here's a shot of Dan with his Barden loaded, hardtail, 70's strat. It does sound fine! 

Attached Images
jpeg Dan_with_Strat.jpg (238.06 KB, 53 views)

SteveBrodie

Reply with quote  #140 
Barb

Peanut says Happy Birthday!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE