PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
hgho

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all.
I have been watching a lot of TG videos lately and I notice an interesting moment with his tone. It is kind of a distorted sound but not «electric guitar-effect» distortion. It seems to be especially apparent when Ted is playing several notes at the same time and close voicings. Such as in this video:

At first, I believed that this sound was just a result of bad recording quality, but I have developed a taste for the tone and find it in so many YTvideos where Ted plays. I wonder if any players here know what is happening and how to actually achieve this sound. I have a Fender Hot Rod DeVille amp.
DaveAnno

Reply with quote  #2 
I think you're hearing the "Lenny Breau" technique of playing a chord, but one of the notes is played as a harmonic. It raises that note an octave and produces that cool dissonance.

Reply with quote  #3 
I know excatly what you mean with the inverted intervals with harmonics. However, it is not my point here. It almost sounds like Teds tone come out from a blown speaker, or at least gets distorted when playing at a certain sound level. I thougt it was something with my speakers but I have tried different ones. This happens in other videos as well when not playing harmonics.
BigMickey

Reply with quote  #4 
Maybe just the way treble/mid/and bass is dialed in plus gain, chorus and reverb?
hgho

Reply with quote  #5 
Yeah perhaps. Did he use a little bit of gain when playing «clean»?
goldglob

Reply with quote  #6 
To me that sounds like the recording device overloading.
klasaine

Reply with quote  #7 
Those are real 'video tapes'. I'm sure it's the recording medium. Ted did play with a little gain occasionally but that example doesn't sound like it. It sounds to me like an overloaded video tape machine.

Reply with quote  #8 
Hmmm... could you hook up a video recorder to the effects loop in your amp? Jk, hgho. Hope you find a way to get the tone! [wink]

Reply with quote  #9 
That's tape saturation PLUS an aging video soundtrack going south!

Reply with quote  #10 
Thank you all for very clarifying answers. I have no idea how to get the sound, but I think it’s funny how this unwanted «noise» can turn into a cool effect.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE