PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
kontiki

Reply with quote  #16 
The first thing to do is probably create a "read this first" or Ted FAQ where all Ted's symbols are explained: dots, Xs, squares, triangles etc. his figured bass notation, the dash through the 7 to indicate a major 7th, tied notes, the slashes at the bottom of each chord grid that indicate the number of beats, visual root fret placement, roman numeral system (lower or upper case).
plus his left hand fingering idiosyncracies: double stopping with the tip of the finger, the GVE five finger technique, his whole legato technique etc.
and probably a short Ted lexicon defining the terms he uses in his lessons: expanded tonality, chord hearts, harp harmonics, reharmonization, SWB, SWR , the basic qualities. etc etc
what have i forgotten?

Reply with quote  #17 
Mike and others,
Great start.  Yes, it is on our "to do" list for a new addition to the Teachings section.
It may be awhile, but stay tuned.....

July 2012 UPDATE:
We're pleased to finally be able to present this document on "How To Read Ted Greene Chord Diagrams."
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/students/PaulVachon/HowToReadTedGreeneChordDiagrams.pdf

It's posted in my "From Students" section at the top of the list.
Special thanks to David Bishop for his help in proofreading it and adding suggestions, and to James Hober and Mike De Luca for their insightful suggestions.  

We hope this will be a helpful reference page to newcomers and to those with some basic questions about interpreting all those symbols in Ted's lesson pages.  Though it doesn't cover everything, most of the basics are explained - plus there's some nifty illustrations!

Reply with quote  #18 
I feel like this is an important topic myself. I feel like for myself in the past two years of trying my best to avoid injury and progress through making beautiful music that I love and teach some of the ideas to my students, is to just try. Some arrangements may be difficult, and truthfully they're almost all of a fair level in one respect or another. But so many of them are beautiful you've just got to do your best and through the power of osmosis and will you've suddenly taken Teds arrangements and sheets and made them into your own. If a point of starting may help anyone I definitely recommend the videos of Ted and others playing in his vein. Don't give up, its made guitar the most poignant thing in my life by far. Ray
James

Reply with quote  #19 
I have to say that Paul's "How to Read Ted Greene Chord Diagrams" (link in his post above) is excellent.  Even if you already know how to read Ted Greene Chord diagrams, there's interesting stuff in there.  Personally, I didn't know about some of Ted's early notation on some of his oldest sheets and how it evolved.  And rare things like how he notated ties into optional notes.  Great intro for newcomers, sprinkled with a few arcane details for old hands.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE