PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #16 
I got Ted the L5 Ibanez for Ted's 52nd birthday in 1998 from William Perry.
Ted (of course) loved this guitar.  I do hope she finds a loving home.

Reply with quote  #17 
The Seller re-listed Ted's Ibanez L-5 on eBay for a lower price of $2,950.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ted-Greenes-Ibanez-2460NT-L-5-CES-Gibson-Strings-2460_W0QQitemZ260375503166QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuita

Can Barbara or someone else confirm that this was in fact Ted's?

I hope it falls into the hands of one of Ted's old (or new!) students -- someone who will appreciate it and make it sing!
--Paul

Reply with quote  #18 
William,

As Ms. Franklin and I discussed earlier in this thread, the actual instrument that I am now a custodian of is a 1957 Guild X-50, not the X150. This is a less ornate model than the X150.

Honestly, I do not know how I could have convinced Mr. Greene that my love of the instrument is sufficiently sincere to deserve it! I am simply fortunate that this opportunity presented itself to me when it did. I have also been in communication with another guardian of these instruments and let him know that if ever the time should come when I feel the need to relinquish this instrument, I will alert the community that has taken responsibility for Mr. Greene's legacy to make sure that it goes to the proper home.

It has a good home now, and will continue to be played and taken care of for the foreseeable future....

In other news, I was reading this month's Vintage Guitar Magazine last night. In an interview with Steve ("The Deacon") Hunter, Mr. Hunter gave credit to lessons from Mr. Greene for some of his approach to playing, particularly when he's working without a pick. Mr. Hunter noted that Mr. Greene had shown him how he could use all five fingers of his picking hand to create pianistic-style chords. Steve Hunter is best known for his work with Lou Reed and Aerosmith - further testament to Mr. Greene's far-reaching effect on the world of guitar playing and music in general.

Best,
Dan S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamPerry
Dan-S

I apologize for not writing earlier.  I haven't been on the site for a while.  The guitar that I saw on line was Ted's.  It is, as I'm sure you know, an X150.  It is a great guitar; Ted loved it.  I had this guitar for about a year or so, and also loved it.  All the "mods" have been that way for years.  I'm glad that you have this guitar.  Ted always wanted his guitars to be in the hands of those who loved them the most.  I know I pleaded for many of them, but did not always convince Ted that my love was the deepest or most sincere.

I miss this guitar; it brings me such fond and deep memories of my dearest friend.

Enjoy,
William

Reply with quote  #19 
"I do hope she finds a loving home"

I do believe she has.

Allow me to introduce myself.  I'm new to the forum & the site but a long time fan of Ted Greene and a jazz guitar enthusiast.

My interest in jazz guitar goes back to my initiation by way of Berklee College of Music in 1975.

I'm a friend of Steve Herberman who is my local guitar hero(also a Berklee alum).  Steve flew out to California and took lessons from Ted.  He has posted videos of these lessons under "baroque style"

I've been searching for an arch top guitar for quite sometime and have been eying Ted's Ibanez since it first became available on ebay. 

Initially it was out of my price range, but with the latest price reduction, I decided to make the purchase.

I'm very excited to have a piece of history in the form of such a beautiful instrument.  Please be assured that it will be played and well cared for.

Thanks

E.Mck.

JeffStocksMusic

Reply with quote  #20 
E, congratulations.  I eyed that auction daily, thinking of ways I could sneak another guitar into the house without my wife knowing.  I never could figure out a way.  I am glad it is going to someone who appreciates what Ted did.  I would love to read a review of it when you get it.

BTW>>Steve is my guitar hero as well!

Happy picking.

jeff
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #21 
Dear E,  Thank you so much for getting in touch this way and reassuring me that another of  "our precious children" has gone to a loving and deserving home.
 I can't express enough how much this means to me.
Ted loved the Ibanez so much.   Ted worried about what would happen to his guitars and never finished making a list (or a will), and sadly the list he started was never found, nor was the will. 
That you took the time and consideration to write eases my heart and I'm sure eases Ted's as well (somehow).  Sincerely, Barbara

Reply with quote  #22 
Thank you so much for your gracious welcome, Ms. Franklin, Jeff & others.

I received the Ibanez yesterday & it's in wonderful condition.  I have entrusted to my worthy luthier for a set up and thorough "check up"

I played it albeit briefly through my amp and the tone is just luscious.  I look forward to many hours of enjoyment and feel that this instrument will inspire me to improve exponentially.

I have searched through the site and was unable to locate any photos of Ted holding/playing this guitar......he certainly was fond of his Guilds, I must say.

If anyone has such  photo I would be extremely grateful for a copy.  The guitar did come with a COA in the form of a document signed by Ted's brother & sister.

Thank you

Eyre McKenrick 
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #23 
Dear Eyre,
Ted & I took "millions" of photos and I haven't had the chance to view them all.  The Ibanez L5  lived mostly at Ted's apartment as he loved using it during lessons and sharing her with his students.
Many of the photos I have in  our photo albums are from early days we spent at the apartment (pre -Ibanez- 1998) or taken at my house.  Since the Ibanez didn't live here there aren't any of her in these albums. 
We named her "the birthday guitar" because I bought her for Ted on his 52nd birthday.  I gave him the money and William Perry brought the guitar to Ted when he next saw Ted for a visit and a lesson (at the apartment). 
Don't despair, there are thousands of photos Ted took at the apartment of guitars and his students, and there is a good possibility one or more does exist.  All the best to you and the Ibanez,  Barbara

Reply with quote  #24 
HI all, so how are the guitars travelling? I was kinda hoping there would be a Ted museum?!  I guess at least I can get my hands on one now maybe oneday! Anyway, hope your all making lovely music, as per usual
best wishes
Judson
PS Thank you Barbara many years ago for the discs you sent over to us, they all get played regularly, and oh boy is it inspiring stuff or what! Leaves a smile on my face, yours too Im sure
peace

Reply with quote  #25 
Dear Judson,  Ted would never have wanted his guitars displayed in a museum. He had a favorite saying, "Guitars should be PLAYED, not DISPLAYED"

I guess by now many of his guitars and amps are disbursed throughout the world and hopefully all being loved and played.   Several people who have had the good fortune of purchasing a guitar contacted me out of the kindness of their heart just to let me know that a particular guitar has a warm and loving home. For that I am grateful. 
My wish (and I know it was Ted's wish) is that all the guitars have been guided by the same fate.
Thank you Judson, for writing and best of all finding the discs of Ted inspiring, keep smiling.  Barbara

Reply with quote  #26 
Not really sure how this relates to this thread, but I wanted to share...

When I started studying with Ted, he loaned me one of the Granny's for a while.  He didn't even really know me yet.  He just said something like "Guitars are meant to be played.  I know you'll take good care of it -- just be sure to keep it in the case at night."  It was one of the kindest acts of faith that anybody had ever directed towards me.  Of course, I enjoyed the guitar, practiced my butt off, and returned it unharmed a few months later.  I still regularly think about the experience of being trusted.
rmcfee

Reply with quote  #27 
 How many guitars did Mr. Greene own?
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #28 
Hundreds over the course of his lifetime.  During our 13 years - we NEVER counted them - Ted didn't want to know. Barbara

Reply with quote  #29 
Greetings All -

I am reviving this thread because I just became aware of Ms. Franklin's passing. My sincerest regrets to all who knew and loved her and Mr. Greene. I think that you can see her honesty and generosity in the exchange that I had with her, above. I am fortunate that like Mr. Greene, I too have a soulmate like Barbara Franklin who adds so much to my life!

By way of an update, please know that I remain the custodian of Granny 2. To date, I have not purchased another guitar of this nature. I am most decidedly not a guitar collector. I play and gig all of the guitars I own (though I do not gig this one, for obvious reasons - she's a Granny!).  She is much loved and well-cared for.

I just became aware of (and immediately purchased) Ms. Franklin's memoir of her time with Mr. Greene. Many thanks, again, to the entire TedGreene.com team.

- Dan S.

Reply with quote  #30 
Over at Schoenberg Guitars there's another of Ted's guitars for sale.  Anybody know anything about this one?

From the Schoenberg site:

C Hall Baritone, 27 1/2" scale, solid body, neck thru, ES-335 shape, nicely made quality instrument.  If anyone knows about this make, we'd love to hear about it...it even stumped Google. 1 11/16 x 2 1/8", excellent condition, from the Ted Greene Collection

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE