PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
dan_s

Reply with quote  #1 
Eric Schoenberg Guitars, in Tiburon, CA is advertising in Vintage Guitar Magazine and on his website that he now has "a major portion of Ted Greene's collection, finally being made available to the public."

Please forgive my ignorance (I've not been a regular visitor to this site) but perhaps someone here has knowledge of Mr. Schoenberg's connection to the Greene estate, how he came to acquire these guitars, documentation, etc. Again, if this is a stupid question please forgive me - I mean no insult. I'm simply trying to get some back story because I would like to give him a call about this instrument: 1957 Guild X50 SB, Single pu (white P-90 style), hollow body 17", formerly owned by Ted Greene. $1250.

Any information anyone on this board might have would be appreciated.

By the way.... I am NOT a guitar collector. I am a player, and longtime admirer of Mr. Greene's playing, instructional techniques, and the enormous heart and humanity that comes through in all the materials/interviews, etc. that I've had the good fortune to encounter. I guess what I'm saying is I'm not considering this purchase to put this instrument in a vault somewhere, and were it not Mr. Greene's guitar I would not be considering this purchase at all.

Thanks....

Reply with quote  #2 
Dear Dan S,
I'm sorry but this is an area I would rather not discuss.  You have meant no harm in asking.
You also sound like the kind of person Ted had in mind for custodianship (Ted's word), of one of his guitars.
Ted wanted - good, loving homes for all his guitars, and to know they are being "played, not displayed" as he so often put it.
I am not sure which one you are referring to.  Is this model a  Granada?   Is it one of the two in the photo? 
I can assure you of one thing:  Ted loved and played all his guitars.
Barbara

Attached Images
jpeg Savannah_copy.jpg (91.03 KB, 169 views)
jpeg Ted_w:Granny_copy.jpg (996.75 KB, 212 views)

dan_s

Reply with quote  #3 
Dear Ms. Franklin,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for raising this issue, and thank you for your thoughtful answer despite my blundering about. I must confess, I am truly moved by your faith in me, a stranger.

Of the two pictures you posted, the one on the right would be the model that is advertised. You can tell by the simple straight tail piece and the lack of ornamentation on, for example, the fretboard. The Granada (X50) was designed to be a "working man's" alternative to a similar and more pricey model by Gibson.  If I'm fortunate enough to take custodianship of it, that's exactly what it will be!

Thank you again for your kindness, and God bless....

Dan Skidmore

(Also - sorry for the multiple, accidental posts.)

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Dan,
No apology necessary, you've done nothing wrong. 
You did say X-50!
The other one (left) is an X-150 Savoy.  The one you are referring to is a Granada!   There were 3 of them.  The first one we got was a '59 and named her "Granny".  Then in Feb. of '98 Ted found 2 more through an ad in one of the guitar magazines.  They were sent to us from White Plains, New York (coincidentally, Ted lived there for a while when growing up), and arrived at my  house on March 3rd.  Ted was teaching that day so I brought them to him, he was ecstatic. 
Ted particularly loved these guitars to practice on late at night because they sounded so great unplugged and he didn't have to worry about waking anyone.
One of his favorite tunings for these guitars was: Eb Db F Gb Bb Eb

I do hope you are fortunate enough to become her custodian.  We named her "Granny 2".   
Wish you all the best, Barbara

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you again. I'll try to make the phone call today (I'm East coast), and let you all know how it comes out.

Take care....

Reply with quote  #6 
Very interesting. I just spoke with Mr. Schoenberg. This guitar does not sound like Granny 2. Rather, it has mis-matched vol/tone knobs, and one of the controls is very loose. Also, oddly enough, a small hole has been drilled through the top down near the controls. I'll be calling later and updating as I go....

Reply with quote  #7 
Actually, it could be Granny 2.  I found this note in Ted's journal dated 3/7/98 "Drill the knob out of the 1957 X-50"
Something like this was not unusual for Ted to do.  Most of the guitars he bought needed some fixing up or modifications to meet his needs.  He really could set up any guitar perfectly.
But Dan, I can't possibly know for sure that the guitar you are interested in is Granny 2, and I can't seem to find her serial number at present. 
Leon, if you are around, would you be able to figure this out?
or William, didn't you have her for a while? 

Reply with quote  #8 
Ms. Franklin,

All I can say is "wow." This could very well be the one. Mr. Schoenberg made it sound like one of the control knobs was just spinning loose, and there was a tiny hole drilled beneath the knob. He was going to take a look at it and I should be contacting him again today (Friday). I can repair this easily with a replacement pot and spec the control knobs back to the original.

I was thinking about it last night on my way back from rehearsal (it was midnight and snowing hard - I should have been watching the road!).  It occurred to me that perhaps someone had tried to stop the spinning by drilling a hole and inserting something down to the pot to hold it? Who knows...?  Also, I don't know if anyone tracked this information, but I believe that Mr. Schoenberg said the serial number on the instrument was 4237 - which does date to 1957. He said that the guitar has a beautiful patina with a little bit of finish checking, but no signs of hard use. And that the setup on the guitar is perfect.

The only remaining mystery is the tuners. Guilds of this era at this model level typically had Waverly-style tuners, where each of the three-to-a-side tuners were attached to a plate and screwed into the headstock through that plate. He told me that each of the tuners on this instrument was individual, and there's no indication that they've been replaced, which is odd, though not wholly impossible - Guild did source some different tuners for different models, and perhaps they used the higher-end tuners on this instrument.

Anyway, in other news, I've been picked up for another summer as the resident guitar instructor at Bristol Hills Music camp. 

http://www.bristolhills-musiccamp.com/2.html

I'm looking forward to taking this instrument and some of Mr. Greene's instructional materials with me this summer. I know that I am excited about this, and - when your instructor is excited about the music and the instrument - that enthusiasm can't help but carry over into the student. All my students in the past have been familiar with the big names in rock/blues guitar, but what a wonderful opportunity this is to introduce them to not only Mr. Greene, but to the breadth of music and players out there for this instrument.

Thank you again....

Dan S.

Reply with quote  #9 
UPDATE:  It's a done deal.  Thank you for your help. I will let you know what I see when I receive it (perhaps as early as next week)!

- Dan S.

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi,
I am not quite sure how to use this forum but here we go.  I am trying to find out what kind of effect Ted always used.  Was it chorus, a leslie or what?  If Barbara or anyone know please respond or email me at michaelkaplan73@gmail.com  Thank you so much

Reply with quote  #11 
On the album ted used a leslie and we miked it. I recall it being his, but could be wrong on this.  No pedal or simulated effects were used.

L
dan_s

Reply with quote  #12 
Here's an update:

I received the instrument last week. There's a sticker on the case that appears to be in Mr. Greene's hand that says "1957 X-50. Med. Gauge," which is a reference to the string gauge (actually, they're rather light!).

It's a very curious setup, with the light, roundwound strings. It's obvious that the strings were new and un-played, although all the strings and the metal on the instrument has tarnished somewhat. I'm still stretching the strings. Overall, the action is perfect. The guitar responds well to a gentle touch.

My first inclination was to put on a set of flat wounds - but the guitar sounds so beautiful right now I'm afraid to change anything. It has resonance like a cathedral. Just a real musical sound. When I get my recording equipment working again (computer troubles) I hope to make a couple quick recordings so everyone can hear the instrument. Although I lack Mr. Greene's skill (who can claim to have it?) I sometimes think I hear his distinctive voice in the instrument's timbre, and I think that has to do with the combination of his setup, the light strings, and some interesting adjustments he made to the pole pieces on the pickup (the screw on the high-E was raised much closer to the string than the others).

As I expressed to Ms. Franklin above, I am honored to have taken custodianship of this instrument. This is not simply a "piece" that will be flipped for quick sale on ebay - this is a special, important instrument. It will be played (I can hardly stop playing it) and shared with my students and with those for whom I play. I see custodianship of this instrument as a serious responsibility - but one that I accept with joy, recognizing the great privilege that has been bestowed upon me. Thank you again for your generosity and good will.

Dan S.

Reply with quote  #13 
Apparently Ted's Ibanez L-5 is on eBay for sale with a Buy-It-Now price of $3,550.00 plus 75.00 for shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ted-Greenes-Ibanez-2460NT-L-5-CES-Gibson-Strings-2460_W0QQitemZ260364979835QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuita

Check it out.
--Paul

Reply with quote  #14 
I just checked ebay and the auction is gone. I don't know if it was canceled by ebay or the seller

Reply with quote  #15 
Dan-S

I apologize for not writing earlier.  I haven't been on the site for a while.  The guitar that I saw on line was Ted's.  It is, as I'm sure you know, an X150.  It is a great guitar; Ted loved it.  I had this guitar for about a year or so, and also loved it.  All the "mods" have been that way for years.  I'm glad that you have this guitar.  Ted always wanted his guitars to be in the hands of those who loved them the most.  I know I pleaded for many of them, but did not always convince Ted that my love was the deepest or most sincere.

I miss this guitar; it brings me such fond and deep memories of my dearest friend.

Enjoy,
William

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE