PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
stringmann

Reply with quote  #31 

I hope this story can make me feel even more appreciation for our friend ted. I believe it was 1981 and I had never really had a lesson in my life. Good ear and loved harmony, esp vocal harmony. But I knew I was stuck on the guitar. I visited Dan when he was at Norms to buy a strat; Chet Atkins had recently recorded his solo guitar version of "Vincent". I asked Dan if he knew of a teacher who could teach me to play like that. He said 'you need to call Ted Greene". I had never heard of him, or his books, but called. I'll never forget calling around noon and he answered very softly; I asked if I woke him up, and he said, 'no, I'm just quiet.' I went for my first lesson and began a 25 yr relationship with someone who challenged and changed me on many levels. After some pleasantries, I asked if we could study 'The Look of Love"; ted began to play and my life changed. I had never heard that kind of playing, but I instantly knew that if I could play hymns that way, I could help people pray. (I had never been exposed to solo guitar, and didn't even know about the 'lap piano', or how ted would invite me to become a musician, and better person. I moved from LA in '85 but continued lessons by phone and in marathon sessions when I could get back to visit. My progress was slow as I have a large family and work long hrs. Ted treated and mentored me like as if I were a pro. Barbara and Ted both were the very picture of graciousness to me, and this wonderful site is a continuation of that spirit. Thank you!

barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #32 
Dear Jerry,
I remember when I first met you. I think it was on a Sunday? and Ted told me we had to be back at his apartment by 6 or 7 p.m. because he to teach a lesson.  He wanted me to be there to meet you because he said you had the kindest, most gentle, beatific nature of all the people he had ever met.   Of course, he was right. And he always looked forward to seeing you.
 I also remember you and Ted sharing so much joy over the beauty of the guitars and the pictures in guitar books.  You seemed like "two little kids at Christmas," and I found it heartwarming and comical to watch the two of you.

One day Ted said, "I have a surprise for you, Jerry is coming over to "our house" to visit and take a guitar lesson."   He knew you brought joy to everyone  everywhere you went.
It was always a pleasure having you in our home, and brings to mind more wonderful memories.  (Lakers game night?)

Jerry, I am so grateful that you have shared your memories here, and grateful to have your friendship.  You are one very special person, who imbues the world with kindness everyday.  Ted loved and admired you so much.
Sincerely, Barbara
I hope you don't mind me sharing a couple of photos?

Attached Images
jpeg Ted_&_Jerry_smiling.jpg (77.52 KB, 114 views)
jpeg Ted_&_Jerry_in_apt.8.jpg (897.70 KB, 125 views)
jpeg Jerry,_Ted_&_Tele.jpg (869.52 KB, 112 views)

stringmann

Reply with quote  #33 
Thank you Barbara: it was so grand of you to say such nice things. I always felt 'at home' w/ you and it was so important not to impose on the time you 2 had there when I was able to get into town. btw, your thoughtful addition of pictures brought some good memories to mind.

One of them is the day Ted sold me one of his teles: did it have a name? I had mentioned to him years before that if he wanted to I would do all I could to have one of his guitars. He gave me terms that even exceeded Ted's remarkable generosity, because he knew I had small children and teacher's salary. When I take that guitar out, it is always like a thanksgiving feast.

Another is sitting on the couch w/ that 3 pickup blonde: I can't remember if that was a Guild or a Gibson, but I had been asking him about 'floating' pickups and pure acoustic tone and he got that out and showed several of the colors of which it was capable. It appears he is even strumming it in the picture, and I don't remember a ton of strumming when I listened to ted.

Finally, the one where you were reminded of us '2 boys on Christmas' is an important story to me. I am one of 9 children raised by a deaf widow. I lost my dad when I was 13, but not long before he died, he allowed me to buy a 'real guitar' (used). I had gone thru a Stalla flat top that needed vise grips to fret, and then got a fender mustang copy at a pawn shop that wasn't much better. I built an amp from parts of tv's in the basement, and he was proud (he was an electrical engineer); so I saved up $80 and he took me to buy a '58 (not sure) Guild Aristocrat M 75 like the above. But I don't think it looked like this, I think it was one pu; it did have block inlays and the cream, and it had been played a lot. But I believed it was a bluesbird until your friend and mine showed me pictures and properly located what it was. I think that was around the time Ted had begun acting on his Guild appreciation in earnest. And he really caught how I told him I liked the 'chambered' sound without the f holes. Ted had so much appreciation, and I always enjoyed our conversations as much or more as the teaching. Thanks again Barbara, for all your kindness and care. jerry in atlanta
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #34 
Hi Jerry, The one Ted sold you is a Nocaster and she didn't have a name.  So..... you have the sole honor of choosing a name for her, if you desire to.  Thank you for sharing some of your memories.  You've had an amazing, interesting and challenging life.   Some would have buckled - you not only survived, but achieved so much!  
Ted sitting on the couch is playing a 1954 Guild X375 with a Spruce top (Bettina).  She was incredible, deep rich tone, and playable even unplugged!
Sorry it took so long for me to respond.  All the best.  Barbara

Reply with quote  #35 
Hi. I am new here. I first heard of Ted in 1974 (I think. The 70's are such a... blurry series of trails in my mind.) when I was taking lessons from Andy Summers. He had me buy three books. Carcassi's classical method, Guiliani's arpeggios, and Ted's Chord Chemistry. I still have my old, beat up 2nd printing copy! 

And since this is my first post on this board I would like to thank Barbara for her book.  I just finished it.  I never met Ted, although, after seeing the pictures (I was only familiar with the old pictures from the original Chord Chemistry and Modern Chord Progressions covers.), I realized that I did bump into him in more than one guitar store in my life!
GregB

Reply with quote  #36 
I too first heard of Ted in the 70's.  Probably around 77 or 78.  I was studying classical guitar at the time (and I also bought and loved the Carcassi classical guitar method.   The cover of my copy has fallen off but the price tag is still on the back cover. $2.50)

In any case, I started enjoying jazz guitar since every male member of my mom's side of the family is a jazz musician and I' was exposed to that music quite a bit.

I remember looking through the book bins at the local music store seeing the original brown cover Chord Chemistry book, the one with Ted and his big beard.  It was intimidating to say the least but I bought it.  Opening the book to those 2 pages of A chords made me think "This guy knows more ways to play an A chord than I know all my chords combined".  Over the years I've worked with it, got intimidated again, and put it down.  I got a lot more out of MCP.  Only now, some 35 years later can I practice form CC without feeling completely overwhelmed.

But man oh man, when MCP came out I remember thinking "There's that bearded guy again.  And Holy Cow!  Look at all those guitars!"  But what really opened up my eyes were the sounds in that book.  Where CC was showing my chords MCP showed me chords in context. 

As a quick aside, I think I've had a few Ted moments as far as getting lost in a musical idea.  I was reading through MCP and there was a 5 chord sequence in the section on how to read tab that really grabbed me.  I ended up practicing that 5 chord progression in different keys, figuring out the homonyms for each chord, realizing that I could use them to substitute for a ii V I sequence, and then wrote a blues using the sequence both forward and backwards.  By the time I was done I had a full page of notes, a new blues progression and 2 hours of intense study.  But when I looked back down at the book I realized that I've just practiced for 2 hours and I haven't gotten past the "how to read tab" section yet.

Then the single note solo books came out and Ted was wearing the same 70's/80's pointy collar leisure suit that I wore for my high school graduation picture (We middle aged folks must admit that while we had great music in the 70's and 80's we had terrible hair and fashion)  Those books intimidated me as well and again, only now am I really understanding them.

That brings us to today where I work a full time day job and teach/play music in the evenings. This website and forum are an amazing resource for advanced jazz guitarist.  For the first time I can see videos of Ted teaching and playing.  From the books we could only imagine what his playing was like.  But now we can not only hear him play, but watch him teach in his very personal and very sharing way.  I've purchased his record from iTunes and I can't wait to get Barbara's book.

In an odd and somewhat sad way, I feel like I've finally gotten to know Ted, to virtually meet him, via the stories and videos on this site.  It's too bad that only via a memorial site do I finally meet one of the most influential guitarist of our time. 

wizard3739

Reply with quote  #37 

Hi,
I first met Ted in a music store in either Canoga park or Woodland Hills.  I was taking lessons (circa 1974/1975) with Chips Hoover, a friend of Teds, using Ted's teaching material.  When I signed up for lessons, Ted interviewed me to help find out where to start with the lessons.  I had taken classical guitar lessons from a great teacher in Tucson, Arizona for a few years.  I could play a lot of chords (self-taught from a very old book), but I couldn't play any lead.  I knew about chords from a piano teacher when I was a teenager. 

Chips was my teacher for a couple of years and Ted taught me a couple of lessons when Chips wasn't available.  I still have a lot of the handwritten lessons from Ted (this was before he finished Chord Chemistry).  At that time I think Ted was working on a lot of George Van Eps works.  I attended (at Chips suggestion) a Howard Roberts seminar in North Hollywood and began studying with Howard soon after. 

I went to see Ted perform (rare at that time) at a club in the San Fernando Valley and could not believe my ears!  Ted sounded like two guitars playing together.  
I lost track of Ted a few months later as I had enrolled in G.I.T. for its' first class in 1977-1978.  I must say that both Ted Greene and Chips Hoover were some of the nicest and most musical people I have ever met in they music business. 

I bought Chord Chemistry and "Solo Guitar" as soon as it became available and always find things to learn from it when I think I need to learn a different approach to a song or a playing technique.  It was my privilege to be able take a few lessons from Ted and I will always treasure the handwritten lessons in my music files.

Howard Brown

Payson Arizona

DaveAnno

Reply with quote  #38 
How many times have you said to yourself "If I only knew then what I know now..."

Well in this case it would be "If I only knew HOW MUCH I WAS MISSING OUT ON!" Lol
... because I remember seeing Ted's books years ago, probably in the very early '90s, at the music shop I took lessons from and eventually worked, but wasn't interested..

I was into classical guitar big time, and seeing a book of diagrams with not much standard notation must have put me off.

Oh how foolish!

Fast forward to about 5-6 years ago, I think I stumbled upon this website, and/or videos of Ted playing. Of course I was blown away and regretted not appreciating Ted long ago. I ended up getting his books, and Barbara's memoir book too.

Those books and this website have sooo much to study, it's really amazing. Thanks guys for keeping it going!

Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard3739

…I was taking lessons (circa 1974/1975) with Chips Hoover, a friend of Ted's, using Ted's teaching material.…

Chips was my teacher for a couple of years and Ted taught me a couple of lessons when Chips wasn't available. I must say that both Ted Greene and Chips Hoover were some of the nicest and most musical people I have ever met in they music business.

It is nice to hear something about Chips Hoover. He really was a wonderful musician and just so down to earth (like Ted). I remember him well and still have the sunburst es-335 that he sold me. Chips could sit down and play hundreds of chord melody standard tunes from memory. Some of these were Ted's arrangements, but an equal number were his own (which were excellent). Unlike Ted, Chips was out playing gigs most nights.

Reply with quote  #40 
Chips was one of my teachers at Dales/Bobs shop (along with Daryl Caraco and Brad Rabuchin). Which is where I first met Ted. Chips indeed had/has some great solo arrangements. 'Shadow of your Smile' was a particularly beautiful and difficult one that I still struggle with.

*Here's me still not really nailing it ...

Reply with quote  #41 
A prescription . . . perhaps a tonic.  Rereading the posts where people talk about Ted and their experiences with him can really pick you up.  It just happened to me - what a gift, from both Ted AND those who post.

I just realized I never really 'fessed up' to when I first met Ted, so here it is. Early 70's and my wife and I know Jay Graydon (and his wonderful family).  I ask Jay about learning to read on guitar, and he pointed me in one direction, but for the rest he pointed me to Ted - and Jay was insistent!. In 1973 I drove out to Dale's and found out about the two year waiting list.  I put myself on the list (with Tony Mandraccia or Daryl?) and they fobbed me off on this 'other guy' chips hoover. HA! The best thing that ever happened to me.
Chips got me to play a little in the first lesson, and then started showing me incredible stuff.  Chips is really the person who revealed chord melody playing to me.  Trapped in the little studio, smoking, and playing anything, including rock and blues stuff.  I still have some of his arrangements and they are GOOD!  Chips gigged all the time and everything he showed me was gold.  He too was a very good natured and supportive guy to people he hardly knew.  And we did alot of laughing, as others probably did too.
Eventually Ted became available, and with guilt I went in the other little studio. 

Surrounded by papers on the floor (wait - wasn't he always like that?),  he was welcoming but quiet.  We talked about what I wanted to learn, and I mentioned the song Ruby.  That led us to film music, and then that was it - we were chattering like mad.  He forced the triads on me, and everytime I thought I had a question about "Why" he'd play something. I was doomed [smile]

Those two - Ted and Chips - teaching in the same place at the same time. One on One.  There's probably never been so much magic in one teaching studio.  Maybe we should start a thread on Chips and Ted?
Anyway, I was the luckiest person to have them both.
L
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE