PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
dzvayehi

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm hearing notes below E on many of the Solo Guitar cuts - did he have the 6th string tuned down or was there a 7th string on that guitar??
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #2 
Ted would tune the whole guitar down a half step, whole step or even a minor 3rd to get the tone he liked.  The cuts on the album did indeed have the guitar tuned down.
Ted told me he had gone as low as "C" (from E) but it was unmanageable. 

He also tuned his guitars UP above E. He was seeking a harpsichord effect.  I'm not sure how high up he went but i'd guess no more then up to G in half steps. (Using very thin strings on top).  I'd caution you on doing this as string breakage could be dangerous.

Does anyone know how high he tested? Did he go below C?

-Leon
dzvayehi

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Leon - I thought it might be something like that - but its pretty amazing that he would tune the whole guitar down that low. I guess that's why he used special gauge strings.
WilliamPerry

Reply with quote  #4 
Just a note, as Leon answered the question.  Playing and owning many of Ted's guitars over the years, I am actually surprised that how often he tuned to standard pitch.  At many/most of his performances he tuned the whole guitar to "D".  Strings: Ted used different types of strings, and different gauges on his guitars.  There was no "typical" gauge.  Each guitar called to him and demanded tunings, sound, style and of course string gauge.  The only constant was that his guitar all "played like butter".  Ted was a master at setting up his guitars.  He always wanted them to be easy to play, low, low action.  He didn't like to "fight" them.
Rivendell

Reply with quote  #5 
Hmm, I'm really curious about the different strings and gauges, did Ted also file the guitar nut himself? To suit the different string gauges.
WilliamPerry

Reply with quote  #6 
Rivendell, yes Ted did file the nut on his guitars.  He constantly worked on guitars.  He did almost everything but neck resets and frets.  He loved working on them.  Now, filling the nut for each string set...probably not.  As I mentioned before he would change strings types and gauges on his guitars till he got what the thought was right for "that" guitar, and later he would want something else.  I just opened one of his cases today and saw about a hundred strings and tools in the pocket.  On his "rock" set up he probably only went to 10's, jazz guitars, he would use: flatwounds, roundwounds, bronze 12's, 13's...to 53 - 56.  He never stopped experimenting. 
WilliamPerry

Reply with quote  #7 
Actually, after re-reading your question, I would have to say, more specifically, that Ted probably filled/worked on the nut on most of his guitars.  But, mostly to get it to play right for him.  I don't think that changing from 12's to 13's that he would do much.  Again, he had strong beliefs about how his strings should sit on the bridge and the nut.  You could get a lecture on that, and he set up most of my guitars.  He was the first person that I would take my guitar to if I wanted it to play right.  I would often joke that Ted was my guitar tech.  He was the best.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #8 
William.  I hear ya.  I wish Ted were around to help me set up my new tele.

Reply with quote  #9 
Regarding Ted's lowered tunings on "Solo Guitar", Ted covers each song in his Spotlight interview with Jim Hilman.  You can download the pdf of it on the home page titled "Ted Greene- Vintage Guitar Spotlight 1996".

Reply with quote  #10 

Hi Nick! Interested to know when TG got into Fender Telecaster

The reason being I have bought my first one(copy of course) and find Teds chords and progressions come alive when played on it as it is so much easier than trying to stretch my fingers on a Peerless NewYork archtop.Tim Lerch seems to use the same model on his Ted Youtube =do you or any other site members us Tele's .Peter.

NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #11 

Barbara gives a little history about Ted’s discovery of the Telecaster in her book "My Life With The Chord Chemist", page 4:  “He continued to reside at the Mulholland Drive house with his family, and it was during this time, upon hearing guitarist Jay Lacy that his old Telecaster mania began.  In April 1965, Ted bought his first Tele, a 1953 for $135.00, and was thrilled to meet and take a few lessons from Jay Lacy.”

Page 5, introduces Ted’s experimentation with lower and higher tunings:  “In his own words: (1968) “This is likely when I fell in love with J.S. Bach et al and when I started composing those classical pieces … This is when I started tuning down, then especially tuning way higher than pitch and putting harpsichordish filters in the Telecasters.”

To hear Ted speak about his discovery of the Telecaster, I suggest you visit Mark Levy’s website and download his personal lessons with Ted.  They are available here: https://public.me.com/deparko

I remember Ted also mentioning Canadian guitarist Dominic Troiano as being a big influence towards his discovery and preference for Telecasters.  I am not sure which lesson of Mark’s it was (there’s a lot of them), but Mark gives a summary for each one.  Check out “Converting lesson tapes to digital” in the forums.

Without getting too wordy here, I have bought and sold several Telecasters including the vintage copies trying to find one that had that Ted ‘vibe’ to it.  Ted instructed me to 1st test the Tele acoustically, unplugged, to find out if  “the tree didn’t mind becoming a guitar.”  I finally settled upon a 1960 Custom Shop Tele with the idea I would modify her later, to bring it closer to that ‘vibe’.  So far, I don’t have the heart to change her!

Reply with quote  #12 

Nick.Many thanks for the reply re the" Telecaster"saga.As I mentioned before I find a lot of Ted's chord progressions easier to handle on the Tele than the archtop.I will look up the stites you mention.By the way Merry Christmas.Peter.

WilliamPerry

Reply with quote  #13 
I just wanted to add a note here.  There are many myths and misunderstandings about Ted and that is fine, but it bothers "me" (no one else has to care) a little.  All the things on this site are obviously post Ted.  He can't reply.  So, Tele's, did Ted love them?  Yes.  But, remember his album, that Leon and I produced was in 1977.  In the last 10 years plus of his life he spent all of his money (well, it was technically Barbara's money) on his beloved Guilds.  He was crazy about them; he introduced me to them.  If people will remember on most of his later gigs he would bring between 3 and 5 guitars....mostly Guilds.  Look at the home page of this site.  One picture is of one of his two most beloved guitars, his Guild DE-400.  He admits to that on one of his videos.  Also, there is the most wonderful picture - at his memorial - of Barbara and Ted holding his prized 61 Guild X-500 between them, almost as if it is there child.  Just a few other things that I think that people that love Ted would like to know.  He considered his playing at the 2000 NAMM show as the best that he had played and the best sound he had ever gotten (DE-400 and Fender Twin).  It was incredible.  
Also, and Ted often made these kinds of statements (definitive), he said to me the he believed that the ultimate guitar was, "a thin, fully hollowbody, with two pickup."  I replied that, "I was trying to figure out what the bridge pickup was for."  Great laughs, oh how I miss those.  Look again at the home page.  He loved and played a dog eared Gibson ES-330, a handful of hollowbody Guilds, and considered endorsing the Fender D'Armound X-155 (also on the home page).  Just thought that you would want to know.
jazzuki

Reply with quote  #14 

Thanks for your post re the Tele's William.I guessed Ted was an archtop man and that he loved his Guilds.I am now 81 ys old and a real jazz guitar "fruit cake" always have and always will be since I was 12yrs.I've had umpteen guitars from the first Hofner Presidents to Gibson Super  400s two Borys 420. Guilds et al.And do you know what I loved them all! However. now I find large hand stretches on my"Peerless" New York getting difficult so I went out and bought a Tele and now Teds chord progressions in"M.P.C." come to life.Even if Ted had a block of wood with six wires on it he could play it.All the best Peter.

kontiki

Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
He considered his playing at the 2000 NAMM show as the best that he had played and the best sound he had ever gotten (DE-400 and Fender Twin).  It was incredible.  

Does anybody have a recording (audio or video) of this? What stand did he play at? maybe the manufacturer has a recording? 

Quote:
He loved and played a dog eared Gibson ES-330, a handful of hollowbody Guilds, and considered endorsing the Fender D'Armound X-155 (also on the home page).
  Do you really mean "
Fender D'Armound X-155 "?

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE