PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
Sammo

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,
Once again I was listening Mark Levy's lessons and there was talk about doing something with small density chords. I tried to find information  using search but had no luck.
Is there any rule of thumb what voicing groups would be classified as small, medium or large density chords?
Thanks,
Sampo
kontiki

Reply with quote  #2 
From what I understand (and no doubt Ted's students will have more accurate info) the density concept was Ted's old chord grouping concept which was later replaced by his "V-system".

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Kontiki,
I kinda knew that already ... I am trying to understand if there is some kind of cut of point that makes voicing group to classify as medium density chord.
V-1 are close voicing small density w/range of less than octave, they are small density chords that's for sure. Root position V-2's range is octave+third and V-3 and V-4 have range of octave + fifth. Are they small or medium density chords? And when do they become large densities?
Just trying to figure where was Ted coming from before he invented voicing group framework.
Thanks again,
Sampo
PaulV

Reply with quote  #4 
This is an old subject, but we've recently added some files in the "Lessons" area that answer these questions.
In Ted's early pages on "Systematic Inversions" he separated chord voicings to small, medium, and large density.  
Later he more precisely defined the voicings in his V-System.

Check out the following links to the "Chord Studies" section 
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/chords/SystematicInversions_TedGreene1976-05-05.pdf
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/chords/SystematicInversionFamilies1973-12-18.pdf

and "The V-System" section.
http://www.tedgreene.com/teaching/v_system.asp

Reply with quote  #5 
On the 12/18/1973 and 5/5/1976 pages, small density = V-2, medium density = V-4, and large density = V-5.  Apparently, at some point in the late 70's, Ted realized that three densities were not enough.  He'd need 14 voicing groups.  And the V-System was born.
Sammo

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for clarification Paul and James! I have to find time to start to absorb new V-system material!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE