PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
PaulV

Reply with quote  #1 
For those of you who are venturing into the deep waters of the V-System and who have come across the "V-9, Choice V-9 Voicings" page, you may find some very unusual chord names.  As I was transcribing from Ted's original, I had some questions about these chord names and what the heck Ted was doing.  So I emailed James Hober.  Of course he was able to penetrate into Ted's thinking process and unlock the mystery.  I think this is helpful, so I wanted to share it.
Here is what he wrote:

This one is quite hard to figure out so it's not surprising that you had some difficulty.

Overall this page is Ted organizing by voicing group, V-9, and then within that organizing by type: major type, minor 7 type, etc.  Sometimes type also means diatonic to a particular scale like the Lydian or the overtone dominant scale.  Obviously he did not complete this page.

The section you're looking at is m7b5 types.  But these are not m7b5 chords.  They are m7b5 chords with extensions.

The first chord is m(7)b5/9/11 no R, b7.  It should have a circled 1 by it because it is the first of the 35 types.  
This homonym for that type is so obscure that I did not list it when I wrote my chapter on the 43.  
Ted is thinking here of half-diminished chords with extensions in a similar way that he thinks of diminished chords with extensions.

The second and third chords are (m)7/11/b5/#5 no R, b3 chords.  
Again this name for these chord is so obscure that I didn't list it in the 35, but it is a homonym for circled 2.

Now here's the trick that makes all this complication easier:
Write down the note names or chord tones in the chord and count the half-steps between them.  
The first chord contains 9, b3, 11, b5.  You knew this because you wrote it under your grid.

Now count the half-steps:  
  Between 9 and b3 is one half-step.  
  Between b3 and 11 are two half-steps.  
  Between 11 and b5 is one half-step.  
  Between b5 back to 9 are eight half-steps.

1 - 2 - 1 - 8.  
That's chord number 1 of the 35.  

Whatever weird name you give it, it is still circled number 1 chord.

Similarly, you'll find that the second and third chords are 1 - 2 - 2 - 7 in terms of half-steps so they are both the second type of the 35.

So the fact that we're thinking in terms of very obscure names (half-diminished extensions) makes things confusing, but counting half-steps saves the day.

--James Hober

Reply with quote  #2 
Yes, I'm experiencing the same thing.  The only V-9 page I could open is the "Seven Basic Qualities..." page.  The others seem to get stuck in trying to open.
I sent a message to our webmaster to look into resolving this problem.
Until this is fixed if anyone wants any of these files emailed directly to you, please PM me and include your email address.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Reply with quote  #3 
1/14/13 Monday update:  Try it now.  We believe that our server was having problems, but now it seems to be working fine.
Thanks for alerting us.

Reply with quote  #4 
Dear Paul and James

just wanted to to thank you for the exceptional work both of you did on the subject of Ted's V-System.
Today I read up to the end of method 2. It's very clear and helpful!

Actually I think this should be a book, both ebook and paper (with spiral binding).
Both in honor to Ted and maybe as a another way to raise money for tedgreene.com

Anyway, I will continue to donate to tedgreene.com whenever I can.

Thanks so much!
Mike, Switzerland
James

Reply with quote  #5 
Glad you like it.  It's kind of a tedgreene.com book.  And there's more to come...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE