PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #16 
Steve, 

You might want to explore this a little on the internet before you go to Norm's, just to get an idea of price and models.  There are several Thinline models, but the changes between them seem to be minimal.

Nick

P.S.  Congrats to Jeff with his new baby!

Reply with quote  #17 
Hey Steve (and all interested parties),

I just found this issue of Vintage Guitar magazine for April 2008 out on eBay, dedicated to the Fender Thinline.  And what's this?  It also has an article featured "Ted Greene Remembered".  I went out to their website archive and looked it up.  Jim Carlton wrote it.  It might just be his interview with Ted again.  Not sure!

Nick

Attached Images
jpeg vintage_gtr_4-08.jpg (31.22 KB, 31 views)

d0nba3r

Reply with quote  #18 
I'd love to offer my opinion on the "thinline" question - although I play a G&L, not a "Fender." I have a G&L ASAT Z-3 semi-hollow, which has 3 pickups, and, of course, its' semi-hollow. The semi-hollow body gives this guitar incredible versatility. I can play the smoothest, sweetest jazz tones, all the way to biting rock and even country twang. I know a fair amount of this is due to the pickups, but I'm sure the hollow body helps, too. I happen to think Ted would have loved this guitar. I got turned on to 3 pickup guitars by Danny Gatton and Ted - two awesome players, obviously. The beauty of the G & L "Z pickups" is that they don't hum- they share the same design as the Fender Precision Bass pickups. I love my thinline "Tele" - even though it's a G&L, not a true Fender. In case anyone here doesn't know - the "L" in G&L stands for "Leo"- as in Fender. After he sold Fender to CBS he founded MusicMan, and after that he founded G & L with George Fullerton as the "G".
Sorry for being off-topic a bit, and thanks for reading!
SteveBrodie

Reply with quote  #19 
Thats it, I'm cutting a few more holes in my Teles. 

Reply with quote  #20 

Nick, That VG article is a review of the 'Ted Greene Tribute' disc.  I actually bought my first issue of that mag because I saw that headline.  I have since bought several other issues and enjoy it. I am not in the vintage guitar market, but it sure is fun to drool over a few good guitar pix.

SteveBrodie

Reply with quote  #21 
First impression of Thinline. 

OK, I stopped in at Norms today.  They're used to me by now..

He had one Thinline.  After picking it up for one second, I almost didn't want to try this one because I knew it wasn't set up the way I would want it.  Action so low there was buzzing, strings were something like extra extra super dupper slinky, ect.  But, I plugged it in any way. 

It was hard to tell from that one if I would like it, if set up better.  I do like the weight, and I do like the fact that it sits on the leg feeling like a tele.  This one had stock pickups on it, and with the set up it had, it sounded like rubber bands to me.  I would have to try another ......

Reply with quote  #22 
I've had a Thinline for a little over a year now. Definitley, it's my favourite guitar "feel-wise"...if that makes sense. I play mostly jazz on it.
It's a CS Nocaster Thinline.
I changed the original pickups ("Twisted Tele" on the neck, "Hot Nocaster" on the bridge) searching for that thicker/warmer tone. After some some research I had installed on it a set of Fralin's "Split Blades". It did got a little thicker-sounding but not as much as I was hoping for.
I was thinking about putting a humbucker in the neck but then again, it's a CS! Don't wanna drill a hole in that beauty!

Cheers!

sjl

Reply with quote  #23 
Have you seen the new Guilds?

When I saw these new models I inmediately thought about Ted.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE