PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
JeffStocksMusic

Reply with quote  #1 

I know Ted loved teles and Guild hollowbodies so I am curious whether he had an opinion on thinline teles.  I have never seen any pix of him playing any and haven't heard them mentioned when folks share gear stories.  Anyone have any insight into his thoughts on thinline teles?  peace..jeff

NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #2 
From the many years I have known Ted, I have never seen him with a Thinline Tele either.  This particular Tele model has interested me because they are semi-hollow, thus lighter in weight.  I am not sure how this compares to how Ted use to route out a 'swimming pool' under the pickguard?  The lack of wood under the pickguard must have contributed to the over-all sound besides making it lighter in weight and easier to move the neck with the palm of his hand for that subtle vibrato effect.

Any others?

Nick

Reply with quote  #3 
the solid and thin line teles are really night and day construction wise. Solid vs. a glued on top, different wood, more pickguard, etc.  I too never saw ted with a thinline or ever heard him mention them.  He was a huge, huge, solidbody tele 'enthusiast' / authority, so I'm guessing the thinline didn't give him what he was looking for.

For myself, the swimming pool routing is a preferred solution as it still leaves a lot of mass in the body that is a single unit.  What one often hears in guitars with the swimming pool (or even a strat) acoustically, is the reflection of the sound from the 'pool' - not always, but often.  That often gives the ear a sense of greater 'liveliness' of sound from the guitar.

Or not.

Leon
JeffStocksMusic

Reply with quote  #4 

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses.  I owned a Japanese reissue of a 69 tele and I can tell you it didn't sound like a routed tele.  I could never get the tone I wanted out of it, despite trying a few things.  It just lacked 'zing'.  Could be a combo of the guitar, pickups, etc, but I suspect it is just the nature of them. 

JeffStocksMusic

Reply with quote  #5 

I have owned and/or played quite a few teles, of all kinds over the years.  Interestingly enough, the line that I think sounds most like Ted's tone out of the box is the Fender Highway One series.  Not sure why, but perhaps it is related to the amount of body resonance that bleeds through because of the thin finishes. 

barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #6 
As per Leon's response, I too have never heard Ted mention the word "thinline" Tele, nor have I ever seen him playing one, obviously. We went to many guitar stores and many guitar shows, and nary a word nor a glimpse. So....

Reply with quote  #7 
What is a thinline tele?.  I never heard Ted talk about them, from the 70's on...

Reply with quote  #8 

Steve,  That is the name given to the semi-hollow teles, I believe built originally in the late 60's.  There are a couple of reissues available now, I believe. 

NickStasinos

Reply with quote  #9 
Steve,  Visually, those are the Teles with the single "f" hole in the upper bout.  Nick

Reply with quote  #10 
I don't think I ever played one of those.  How would it compare sound wise to my two teles. that I had hallowed out.  Same place Mark had his done.  Most importantly from my prospective, how do Xmas songs sound on them...?  Hey, it's almost time to start working on those again..

Reply with quote  #11 
Hey Steve,  Why mess with success?  I had the same question (read my earlier post).  BTW, I owe you my critique on your Xmas CD at the next picnic!  Nick

Reply with quote  #12 
That bad huh??

Reply with quote  #13 
Don't sweat it, Steve!  If I could only play half as good as you!  Nick

Reply with quote  #14 
Hello everyone,
I also was a student of our beloved Ted, and miss him terribly. I am just now joining the forum but have been an avid reader since the start.  Thank you so much Barbara, Leon and so many others for all of your presence, contributions and support for this most wonderful of gathering places!

I had to speak up on the Thinline Tele.  In 2003 I bought a new reissue of a Thinline and brought in for Ted to look at.  He admired it and set it up for me, as I was not to savvy at that, (didn't even know that it needed setting up!).  He grumbled about "how can they sell you this expensive Tele and not even set it up?"  I so appreciated his attentiveness and skill in all things Tele.  I asked him if he liked them and he said that he could "not get the sound I wanted".  He indicated he had one once, (I am sure he has owned almost every kind of guitar at one time or another) but didn't keep it.  He told me that the one I had "should be a nice guitar for you".  So my claim to fame is, I have a Tele that Ted set up.  I will say that is is beautiful!

Halcyon
SteveBrodie

Reply with quote  #15 
Nick,  I heard you play at the picnic and you play well.  In fact, all that go to the picnics play well.  Thanks.

I'm asking every one to congratulate my friend Jeff.  He became a father today, to a very young guitar player,  if I have any say on the matter.  I'm going to get him into back cycling and companion minor substitutions the first time I see him.  The young lad was born this afternoon..

I am curious about these thinlines, and meant to stop in at Norms up the street from me today to try one if he had one.  Maybe next week.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE