PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Dan52Tele

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi i was wondering if any ted fans could help, i have an ash tele with 012's on modded with a capaciter wired in and a Fender Deluxe reverb, i would like to know what else i need to do such as amp settings or how to get that 'dark' sound, the tone is rolled off quite a way but still doesn't sound that accurate.

I'm also a beliver that his tone came from the fingers and soul, but any tips would be appreciated.

Many thanks guys

Dan
Bob

Reply with quote  #2 

In lesson Ted would set his Fender Deluxe with the treble at 4 and about 7 for the bass. The volume was set at about 3. He'd bring the volume up on his guitar till it sounded full. That could be anywhere between 3 and 7. Then he'd roll off all the treble on the guitars tone control and bring it to where there was a little zing to the top end. Kind of bell like. Ted used his volume control as part of the tone shaping. As Ted increased the guitars volume control the sound got brighter. His tone control was for fine tuning the sounds he wanted. Since he played primarily with the flesh of his right hand fingers it was a very soft and soothing tone.

As far as amp or direct sounds that were recorded on Solo Guitar; Leon White and William Perry would be the best source of information.  

Reply with quote  #3 
As Bob said the album is a different matter and Leon or William would be the best source. That being said, i remember that much of the sound on the record was actually "direct" thru the mixing console. Even so, Ted had his amp (twin reverb i believe) next to him and it was interacting with the strings of the tele, adding more sustain and tone to the direct sound.

Reply with quote  #4 
Also, Ted liked to tune back one full step.  This really changes how thick and rich the guitar can present tones.

Instead of tuning "E to E," Ted would often times tune down a bit farther to "D to D"...

I remember this because that was one of the coolest things I learned from his private lessons right away.  It is also something I do for all my guitars today.  As soon as I buy a new guitar, it goes to my tech for a massage, and the tech sets the intonation for the deeper tuning, the larger gauge of strings (.012" - .054") and sometimes files the nut to be sure the guitar is set up perfect in every way.  For the new tuning.

Also, some of the darker tones are due to the placement of your hand a certain distance from the bridge.  If you pluck the string right next to the bridge, you'll notice a bright stinging tone, whereas if you pluck the string farther away from the bridge, the tone gets warmer.  Now, try doing finger styles and picking styles above where the last frets meet the body... that is "the warm zone."

I learned that from Ted...

Jim

DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #5 
JimHandy, you're right about the "Deeper" sound. When Ted designed a set of strings for Ernie Ball, they were called "Deep Tele".

Reply with quote  #6 

Recently, I found this sample settings sheet for a Mesa Boogie Mark II-C amp that I purchased in the early 80s.  I had the same burning question: How do I get that sound Ted gets or get as close to it as possible with my equipment?  So, I brought my heavy Boogie amp over to Ted's place and he tweaked the knobs.  I wrote down the results on this page (look under Jazz).

Guitar Settings
Vol. 8, Tone 4-5

Amp Settings
Vol. 4,  Treble 4, Bass 4, Mid 3, Master 10, Presence 4, Reverb 10 (?), EQ is a classic V but below middle.

I am not sure why I wrote down 10 for the Reverb setting?  This may have been carried over from the Master setting or my reverb was not working properly that day.  Ted usually adjusted the reverb depending on what song he was playing and what amp he was playing through, so the Reverb is inconsequential here. 

BTW, I had this amp upgraded to the coveted II-C+ (the Holy Grail of Boogie amps).  I am still experiencing seller's remorse!

Nick

Attached Images
jpeg mkiic_settings.jpg (119.47 KB, 358 views)

MarkThornbury

Reply with quote  #7 
Something I'd like to add here, Ted used to hollow out his Teles with a router. He would go VERY deep, deeper than techs like to. I remember seeing one at a lesson laying up against an amp, with the strings & pickguard off, and it was so deep that he had accidently put a little hole through the back!

It does affect the richness of the sound, and enables easier neck vibrato too.

Reply with quote  #8 
Mark,

I may have seen the same guitar!  It was so funny that I told Ted it looked like he was making a new hive for the bees to live in.  Lots of little router bore holes.

Nick 

Reply with quote  #9 
Yup, sounds like it to me!  I just took my new '52 Tele reissue (Fathers day present, inspired by the picnic!) to Eric's Guitar shop for him to remove the ghastly capacitor on the front pickup, and to route out the guitar a la Ted. He has a tech there who is a former Ted student, & has the same guitar.  He told me that he's gonna take it down to about 3/16 thickness.

So, here's hoping.

Reply with quote  #10 
Mark

Erics does good work.  Explain a little more about the routing job.  I may have to pay them a visit again with my two guitars that they worked on. 

Dan S.  Where did you get that battery powered amp, and how much was it.  I might have to get one for the next Duck picnic.

Reply with quote  #11 

Hi Steve,

I just explained to him that I wanted to have as much of the area underneath the pickguard routed out as possible, and as deeply as possible.  I told him that I had seen one of ted's guitars without the pickguard, etc, and described for him what I saw...He told me that one of his techs, named Brent, was a student of Ted's,  had the same guitar, and was changing the pickup config often, and would have a little insight.  Eric was cautious about going too close to the neck block area, but he said he would do as much as he felt comfortable. He knew about your wiring, with the varitone & all, and said that you were a great tele player!

Reply with quote  #12 
Hi Mark
 Looks like I'm not the only one who goes to Eric's. Eric and Brent do great work. I look forward to having them setup my p-90 Les Paul like Ted's old '52, (Goldie). I can't wait to see your Tele.

Reply with quote  #13 
Yep Mark, they should know, they put the varitones on two of the three guitars that have it .  I'll let them experiment on your guitar first.  Let me, (us) know how it turns out, if good, then they'll get a visit from me.  I do remember Ted telling me he use to route them out, partially for the vibrato(bending ) of the neck...

Reply with quote  #14 
I just got off the phone with Brent, and he's going to set me up with a neck positon humbucker, & a middle position strat w/5 pos switch to start with, & we'll see how it goes. One is a DiMarzio, the other a Seymour Duncan (I don't remember which is which, I let him choose...). He told me that he routed out his '52 reissue sucessfully as well.  I'd love to try the Kinman setup, but at $500 it's pretty pricy.

They are very reasonable at Eric's.  Thanks again for the recommendation, Steve.  You can all check it out at the picnic!

Reply with quote  #15 
I can't wait that long.  I just left a message at Erics.  If they don't call me back tomorrow, I'll call them, to route out my reissue 52, and my reissue nocaster.  I may of talked to them about it when they put my humbuckers in both guitars a while back.  They usually take around a week, maybe two for a job, but they do real clean work.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE