PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Farnelius

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi friends and fans of Ted Greene!

I recently saw a youtube-video from Nick Stasinos about Ted from September 1999.
Ted talks about a book he was writing at that time called "The Harmony of American Music".
Does anybody know if there is a manuscript about this piece of work?

Thank you very much!

Steven
PaulV

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Steven,
Ted had ideas for writing several books covering various musical topics.  No doubt he could easily have completed them if he would have focused on just those.  But he was busy with many other projects, and alas, these books were never finished (and maybe never really started either!).  

Going through Ted's teaching archives, there are lessons covering many different subjects, and it's hard to know what documents would have been targeted for what books.
Our current project is to post as much of Ted's teaching materials as is possible.  Each month we post anywhere between 10 - 20 previously unpublished lessons, arrangements, and notes from his "Private Music Studies" folders.  Many of these pages need to be transcribed, notated, or clarified in order to present them in the best way - a way in which Ted would be satisfied with.

One of his main projects - or as Barbara Franklin said was his "Pet Project" - was "The V-System" or Voicing Groups system.  His notes, examples, and lesson pages are certainly enough to fill a book, but he never clearly explained the project, his methods, or how to approach the subject.  There was no text for a book.  Fortunately one of Ted's students was able to decipher Ted's notes to himself, and we now have that "book" well document on the site under the "Guitar Lessons / The V-System. 

Another book he wanted to write was on "Bass-Enhanced Triads" - and we are in the middle of posting all of his pages on this subject.  But again, he never wrote out any text giving any instruction.  Much of it will have to be understood by working through the examples and using them.

Perhaps Leon White has other manuscripts for books that Ted was writing, but there is nothing on the specific subject of "The Harmony of American Music" in the general "Ted Teachings Archives" or in his other private notes.

Leon? 

Reply with quote  #3 
so happy for this forum. I took a lesson from Ted once, long ago, and it opened my eyes. I then went to Grove and Peter Butterfield expanded what little I knew. After mostly playing Cuban tres and arranging for the last 15 years, I'm back to study guitar (even though I've played it for 40 years, I mean relearning and approaching with a more polished eye.)

Ted's stuff is enlightening but also discouraging. Discouraging you say? Yep, it makes me want to go back to playing kazoo [smile] but seriously, I aspire to learn 1/10th of what Ted knew. 

Thanks for the forum.

Reply with quote  #4 
Sadly, I've not been able to find anything in the way of unfinished manuscripts. I imagine Barb would have mentioned it over the years if there were any.  Sorry.
L
TLerch

Reply with quote  #5 
This is my opinion from observation, Ted wrote (or at least started writing) many wonderful books in his wonderful mind. Not all of them made it past the mental planning stage but we have the equivalent of many wonderful books in the form of his lesson pages so I guess we can't be too disappointed.

all the best 
Tim
PaulV

Reply with quote  #6 
Amen to that, Tim!

Reply with quote  #7 
Well ... Here's something that Ted jotted down in course of those ideas on September 26, 1999 (tomorrow will be it's 17th year anniversary), titled "Tunes By their Harmony ... for my book:  The Harmony of American Music".  In my video, he did mention that he got up to a certain point in time, a time frame, so he must of been writing it down somewhere.  This must be the page!  Happy reading and enjoy!

Attached Images
jpeg Harmony_of_American_Music_(Edited_For_Posting).jpg (443.37 KB, 7 views)

tedandbarbaraare1

Reply with quote  #8 
Cool beans.   Awesome.   Thanks for sharing. 

Reply with quote  #9 

Hi Nick,
Thanks for sharing that page.  I don't seem to have a copy of that in the Ted Archives, or I'm not able to find it at this time.  I believe it would be part of Ted's massive "Personal Music Studies" folder, which is only partially indexed.
There is a folder called "New Book Ideas" and if there is an interest I could collect these ideas and post them in some future Newsletter.  I've added your page to that collection.
In addition, I did find one small page titled, "For My Book on Harmony (and/or The Harmony of American Music)."  
(Attached).
As you can see, most of these pages are just notes to himself about projects to do, and possible directions to take in the presentation, and sometimes a few examples.

There are also many pages for a book he wanted to write called, "Bachian Harmony and Counterpoint Book."  That would be a massive undertaking to decipher and properly present all the notes/scribbles into something helpful.  Eventually we hope to get to that, but it's not a priority now unless there are several requests for this.

Attached Files
pdf Various_Other_Book_Ideas,_ForMyBookOnHarmony,_2000-10-10_(excerpt).pdf (103.19 KB, 24 views)

Deparko

Reply with quote  #10 
Maybe this has been discussed before and I have not seen Nicks VID but I remember Ted feeling strongly that with the advent of 20th century American music a "new" key was born (might not be the correct term). This key was, the key of dominant 7.  

Not sure how much this theory has been discussed in the music theory circles but I found it particularly interesting and a very unique insight from Ted
PaulV

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi Mark,
Yes, as I mentioned in my previous post, Ted had plans for all kinds of books.  One of them was to be title, "The New Key Signatures" or "Advanced Key Signatures."
For example, A Mixolydian (dominant) was to be 2 sharps (F & C) and a one natural (G). He also had some symbols like stars and diamonds to be included with # and b.  It is interesting.
I'm working on these pages, so we'll be posting them in the not-too-distant future.  [comp]
So stay tuned....  [smile]

Reply with quote  #12 
I guess with mixolydian as a key centre Ted was thinking " blues tonic"
Farnelius

Reply with quote  #13 
Dear Greene-Fans! 

Thank you very much for your answers and uploaded jpg and pdf. I didn't know that so many people would answer to my question.

A few words about your incredible valuable work at tedgreene.com: I recently took a lesson at a professor for jazzguitar at the north of germany and I told him that I'm interested in Greene's V-System and (maybe because I studied formally philosophy and logic) always try to categorize my voicings this way.

He smiled and said to me: I know that system. A former student wrote his master thesis about Ted Greene! As you can see, Ted is even for the few Jazzguitarists in Germany a very important player (and researcher).

I wished some of you could do a workshop in Germany or Greece...

Thanks for all!
Steve
James

Reply with quote  #14 
Hi Steve,

Ted clearly intended to write a book about his V-System.  Too bad he didn't because it would have saved me a ton of work writing about his system and would no doubt have been better.

As you make your way through http://www.tedgreene.com/teaching/v_system.asp, please post any questions that you have and I or others here will answer them as best as we can.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #15 
Hi Steve,
Could you ask your professor for about the thesis and who did it?  I would be interested to see it.
Terrence McManus wrote a thesis on Ted and he shared it with us here in TG land.
If someone else wrote another one that would be very interesting.
Thanks!

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE