PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
James

Reply with quote  #16 
Some people like to do sudoku or crossword puzzles, particularly as they get older, to exercise their minds.  I don't do those but I like to analyze Bach chorales.  It's kind of the same thing but for musicians.  Besides doing the usual analysis of writing the roman numerals and figured bass under the chords, and indicating non-harmonic tones like passing tones, neighboring tones, etc., I especially like to indicate where Bach breaks the "rules."  How he deviates from what you did in your college theory assignments is really interesting.  Often melody will trump a so-called "rule."  For example, an occasional voice cross may come about to keep the melodies in the two voices nice.  When a rare double leading tone occurs, it resolves by contrary motion.  I don't have text in my copy of the chorales and I don't speak German, but scholars have noted that Bach can be wilder and more dissonant when the text expresses a harsh idea.  Sometimes what seems like an unresolved leading tone is just a resolution transferred to another voice or a slight delay of the resolution in the same voice.  Almost every chorale has some little "exception" that is interesting.  There are also "rules" that Bach really does fairly strictly adhere to, like avoiding parallel fifths and octaves.

You might enjoy analyzing Bach chorales to exercise your brain.  It can keep your analysis muscle in shape until Paul presents another thorny "Name That Chord" Ted example.

Happy Thanksgiving!
PaulV

Reply with quote  #17 
Okay....let's play:
http://forums.tedgreene.com/post/Name-that-Chord-4609831?pid=1275818584#post1275818584

Reply with quote  #18 

Hi, this is a version (mistakes and all) of this most wonderful composition, for those who may be interested to hear (sort of) what it might sound like prior to investing the time to learn it off Ted's (and Paul's) arrangement sheet.

Happy USA thanksgiving to all.
PaulV

Reply with quote  #19 
Hi Robert,
Thanks for sharing your video!  Hearing it in advance helps to get one motivated to learn the piece.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Reply with quote  #20 
Robert - great job!
RobertS

Reply with quote  #21 

Punkbop - thanks for the encouraging comment [smile]

to all Thanksgiving Chorale lovers - does anyone else have any renditions they'd like to share? would love to hear other interpretations of this piece for inspiration. I find myself playing this piece in a few different ways depending on the day, the mood etc..

regards

PaulV

Reply with quote  #22 
Happy Thanksgiving to all TG followers!

Reply with quote  #23 
Ditto

BLC
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE