PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
PaulV

Reply with quote  #16 

Thanks Barbara!  I updated my previous post with your corrections in blue font.  So if anyone wants to copy it, that should be pretty accurate.

Howerver, there are 2 question marks still missing on the second page

1) 

EXPLANATION OF DIATONIC 7THS (MAJ MIN/AFTER ? 3)

and then a little be below that under the heading of "Tonicization + Modulation":

2)

FILLING IN OF ?? VOICES OF SONGS

Now, the next big questions to tackle about this list is:  what do some of these things mean?!  For instance, what is "Wanderings" or "Pyramids"?

I guess that will be another series of posts....

Thanks again for making this available to us all!

--Paul

UPDATED:  Thanks Barbara!  I've added those 2 corrections to the previous list with all the red and blue corrections.  So that should be complete for those interested in copying these pages.

--Paul

Reply with quote  #17 
1. after PROG. 8
2. OUTER voices

This post was just an example. These are Ted's "reminders" to himself. If I can determine what his terminology means I'll include it at some point. But for now, I think there's enough to do if one so chooses.

Reply with quote  #18 

Thanks Paul, great jon on "filling the blank"! Thanks Barbara for the additional information. Thanks you guys for making this post into a PHD program for study on guitar harmony!

I think people here will do whatever it takes to decipher what Ted had left for the world. His inspiration never ends. (To be inspired(re-inspired,or those who never met Ted before), read through "Memories of Ted " at the Ted tribute site)

Barbara Franklin
Reply with quote  #19 
Ted's thoughts on WISDOM:

"Knowing either consciously or intuitively what to feel, think, say & do (also the reverse - what NOT to say, do etc.) The wise man listens more & speaks less unless he really has something helpful to say. The wise man keeps a constant eye directed inwardly to detect & weed out anything that would be harmful to others or himself. Some key words associated with Wisdom: Gratitude, Observation, Discrimination, Silence, Humility"
Barbara Franklin
Reply with quote  #20 
CLASSIFYING SOUNDS

"Question: Say you are playing I - v in "3" with a lilt - the mood of happiness is extremely colored by the feeling of antiquity (King Arthur, etc.) Consider such things when classifying sounds.
If I'm not able to conjure up the right mood for the maximum good effect on any one individual who is listening (x: forget about groups - the needs are too different & complex, y= yes, but there are certain vibrations or moods which will help everybody or virtually everybody. x: Is there a chance that some might be adversely affected by these so called "beneficial" moods? y: Yes, but what are the alternatives?) At least, I can give out a potpourri which somehow seems like it might tune people in to their deeper & higher natures, because almost everyone has experienced many different moods & feelings in their lives. Now if I play with the thought of bringing forth compassion, wisdom & will from others, and if I am a pure enough channel, somehow these emotions or feelings as described before may trigger a certain door in others which is one of the keys to receptivity to the central vibrations that I'm trying to convey. It's worth a try anyway."
Barbara Framklin
Reply with quote  #21 
RE: CLASSIFYING SOUNDS

The prior quote is of course, Ted's
stringfellow
Reply with quote  #22 

Just wanted to say thankyou to Barbara for putting all this info up so it is available to all - this is very, very insightful and helpful material and I am very grateful that you are keen to share it.

Music is such an adventure of a lifetime and I enjoy pursuing it every single day,

Cheers,

String
skotrock

Reply with quote  #23 
I never met Ted, but he always has been such an inspiration to me as a musician, guitarist and teacher. And this thread itself is enough to keep me inspired for the rest of my days. thanks you so much Barbara!
ChemicalChords

Reply with quote  #24 

Was this an outline to use, in progressing from one subject to the next in pursuing greater knowledge of music and theory?

Reply with quote  #25 
This was just a list (one of hundreds) that Ted would periodically revise for his own personal use - ideas for teaching and what was important to work on for himself & his students.
Ted always made lists because it helped him organize everything mentally. He stopped making these types of lists by the end of the 70s though.
Here is an example of one of his personal studies lists - from 1976.
This is how many of the lesson sheets originated! Quite amazing. B.

Attached Images
jpeg Untitled.jpg (482.05 KB, 432 views)

tedstafford

Reply with quote  #26 
Inspiring! Thank you.

ted

Reply with quote  #27 

Thats Amazing, man I want to be able to grasp all those subjects. It Inspiring and truly incredible how hard Ted pushed himself to be a great musician and thats exactly how hard I want to push myself, just be totally committed. Thanks alot Barbara, your the bomb for posting all these wonderful pieces of information Ted wrote.

Reply with quote  #28 
'tis been a while since I've added to this thread, hence here are some very insightful pages "in Ted's own words"
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/other/SoloGuitarStrategiesConcepts-TedGreenePersonalNotes.pdf

Attached Images
jpeg Ted_notes1.jpg (191.86 KB, 288 views)
jpeg Ted_notes5.jpg (268.58 KB, 271 views)

barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #29 
Greetings, Here are some of Ted's notes on Diminished Scales, Chords, Use. etc.
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/singlenote/Diminished7thSounds_1976-1977-1978_1.pdf
http://www.tedgreene.com/teaching/singlenote.asp

Reply with quote  #30 
Thanks for those diminished pages, Barbara...just what the doctor ordered!

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE