PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #1 
THANKS JEFF & LEON FOR MAKING THIS "CATEGORY"

This is what Ted wrote on a piece of paper I found titled 'SOLO GUITAR STRATEGIES": sub-titled (when working out arr.)

1. I try to SEE & hear the MELODY on the board

2. I THINK of the chord names & add (to the melody)
A. the low roots first
B. inner voice(s)
C. inverted basses too if desired
1.) w/the roots (i.e. in succession)
2.) just the inversions

3. Also I THINK of the TEXTURE: where, in WHICH parts, should the motion be

Hope some of you find this helpful. It was in Outline Form but the computer won't let me indent the margins.

Reply with quote  #2 

Thanks for posting this. This may be one the most important posts yet.

Jerry Reed once said "I don't go to hear someone play, I go to hear someone think."

Hopefully, you and Ted's students can shed some light on Ted's thought processes on arranging for guitar. I had hoped for many years that Ted would follow up Chord Chemistry & Modern Chord Progressions with a real nuts and bolts This Is How I Do It book. Posts like this can help fill the void.

Thanks again.

Jerome

PaulV

Reply with quote  #3 

Barbara,

Yes, yes, yes!  Things like this are fantastic.  Learning Ted's arrangements are great, and one can understand a certain amount after getting a lot of his moves under their fingers, BUT to have some of his notes to himself about HOW to approach an arrangement or where to focus, gets us into his thinking process.  Very helpful. ;-)

Thanks again!

Reply with quote  #4 

Barbara,

Great stuff you had posted!! I agree with them , it's a great insight to know what one think in a process. It's like teaching someone to fish then handling them the fish (but I also enjoy those fish > Ted's arrangements < VERY VERY much. Thanks and keep them coming Leon!! :-) ).

Thanks again!!!

FATT

barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #5 
On another "scrap" amongst Ted's papers; I found what is written below, which I think many will find useful. Hence:

SOLO GUITAR TIPS

1. Tone
2. Let chords, chord tones RING under the melody
3. PHRASE like the singers you admire....nuance of inflection too
4. Use varied REGISTER to add excitement & fight boredom
5. Use VARIED BASS chord tones when walking. Remember Walking Bass is optional.
6. Use IMITATION for intros, interludes

Reply with quote  #6 

excellent advice, as always, from the master.

mike

Reply with quote  #7 

Thanks again for sharing Ted's thoughts and ideas.

midivox

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Everyone, almost all my lessons with Ted for 5 years were just on Chord Melody. I would do a Ted Grid type arrangement of a song come in play it for Ted and then he would ask me questions about why I make the arrangement choices. If Ted had an arrangement of the same song gridded out, he would compare mine to his and explain why he made his arrangement choices.

1. Memorize the Melody and Play It In a Few Keys
2, Do the things with the chords.
3. Sing or Hum the Melody and come up with Chord Voicings and Chord Substitutions.
4, Play or sing the melody and hum bass lines.
5. Star building the arrangement.
6. Rev up the basic arrangement with tone color and register changes.
7. Use open strings when possible
8. Once you got something you like, sing or hum variations and figure out the variations on the guitar.,
9. Do it all in a different key.
10. Always keep learning new chord and new chord progressions.

Of course, Ted could do all the above in his head and imagination even if you brought in a song he had
never played before on guitar.
    Me? I might spend an entire day gridding out a song in one key and then another entire day gridding the same song out in another key.
    I still go through the Ted Steps even today. I am just faster now with coming up with something I like and I remember the arrangement longer before I have to grid it out and put it in a notebook.
    On a good day I can play a few hundred chord melody songs from memory.
    I keep the titles on colored index cards so I can recall which chord melody songs I can play.
    Ted also had me buy fake books with just the melody words and basic chord symbols and just make up chord melody arrangements on the spot. I would go through the fake books with colored ink pens and just put in fret numbers next to the chord names for position names. So to recall which parts of the neck I used for that part of the song.
    Happy Chord Melody
    Timothy Kelly
    MidiVox
    Teach Yourself Singing

MidiVox Voice to Midi Hardware
http://www.healingmusic.net welcomes all
Tonyguitarwilliams

Reply with quote  #9 
So interesting thank you ALL

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi guys,
We've added a more complete list of some of Ted's thoughts on solo guitar strategies in the Lessons/Other section on the website. 
Check it out:
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/other/SoloGuitarStrategiesConcepts-TedGreenePersonalNotes.pdf

Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks Paul et al.!
Beginners in solo guitar should remember that the summaries Ted made were often from the perspective of "Here's what you can consider, if you know what I mean and can play this."  Some of his comments may not resonate with you or even mean anything.  That's ok. Do NOT think it is YOU.  We're all beginners in one sense or another. 
As you read these, take what you can from them, and then put them away to be revisited.  You might make your own list of items, using the same headings, and picking only the things you want to remember right now.  No intimidation here please.  Appreciation, yes. Consideration, certainly. NOT anxiety or loss of hope.  You only have to see the videos to see that he was a gentle encouraging man and that his material was created to help.
-L
PaulV

Reply with quote  #12 
Good points, Leon.  One should remember that these are notes that Ted wrote for himself, as personal reminders.

Reply with quote  #13 
Great stuff! 

I have a lot of posts to read and a lot of students lessons to read / listen to... I think I'm going to like it here!

Thank you one and all 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE