Please register to post. also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

MAKE A DONATION TO THE WEBSITE
Any contributions are gratefully appreciated.
Thank You.
Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register New Posts

Author Comment

Dan52Tele

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi there, i'm interested in modyfying my telecaster and wondered if anybody new of the humbucker ted usually went for in the neck position on his blackguard models?

Any help would be well appreciated.

Dan
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #2 

On at least 2 of the classic teles I saw dimarzio's that looked like "dual sounds" or "super distortions" - about 12.7K.   very low in the pickguard with the screws up high.  But of course anything is possible in his experimenting . . .

L

Dan52Tele

Reply with quote  #3 
i can understand that...... i also just found elsewhere on the forum ted used a gibson neck pickup on his 51 nocaster around the solo album recording, does anyone know if it was a burstbucker,57 classic etc?

Thanks again

Dan
MarkSpangler

Reply with quote  #4 

Well, in those days the 57, burstbucker, etc. didn't exist. In fact I'm not even sure Gibson offered an aftermarket pickup. Whatever Ted used probably came out of another guitar...

DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #5 
You might want to check out a mini-humbucker. This is what a lot of the guys in Nashville are using nowadays. They seem to balance better with the Tele bridge pickup and have more focus than a full size humbucker. This is the type of pickup Gibson used on the Les Paul Deluxe guitars from the 1970s (think Dickie Betts). The Brent Mason model made by Valley Arts is a Tele type of guitar which has a pickup like that.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/ValleyArts/

Reply with quote  #6 
wow, I didn't know Dickie Betts used a Delux.  I always thought he used a es-340 with that coil tap blend wiring they came with.  I know for a time, John McLaughlin used a delux. I guess for certain stuff, they cut through better.
DougMiers

Reply with quote  #7 

When Ted put most of those guitars together, there weren't any after market pickups available.  In many cases, they were old Gibson PAFs.  Back in those days, who knew(?) that they would one day be in such demand.  Also, in several of his guitars, where you see a single coil--like on the ES 355 on the cover of Chord Chemistry -at the fretboard, that isn't a Fender pickup---it's half of a humbucker.

MrGuitar

Reply with quote  #8 
It could've been a Gibson PAF pickup, that's what a couple of other jazz guys have used on a Tele, most notably Ed Bickert.
Deparko

Reply with quote  #9 
Ted did help me setup my '73 tele around 1976.  He told me to use a wood router to rout out the body and place a gibson HB as close to the neck and as deep as possible, raising the pickup screws as high as they would go.

I still have the guitar and while I have not played it in awhile (although now its starting to call me :-) ), it gets a real nice sound.

Mark

DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #10 
Gibson did have an aftermarket pickup. I can't remember the name, but it was in response to DiMarzio's which were selling really well. Gibson saw how many people were buying the Dimarzios and came out with a 'hotter' humbucker. We used to order them from Valley Arts, so I know they were available.

As a side note, i can remember throwing away (in the trash) at least 3 real PAF humbuckers to install these more powerful Gibson pickups. We just didn't think anybody would want them!

Reply with quote  #11 
Just to say I agree with the suggestion of trying A MINI humbucker . I have a Mexican re issue Esquire with a stunning , one piece , swamp ash body . ( Never seen another ) . At first I had a Seymour Duncan `mini` fitted , no pole pieces . That was a great sound but 1 month ago I had a T V Jones mini humbucker fitted ( a la Gretsch ) and that is STUNNING ! What a tone ! Having read all the posts re pickups and routing out the bodies , I may have mine routered and my Seymour Duncan fitted as a 3rd pu, but towards the bridge so as not to be in the way . ( Watch this space ) .
I live In Cheshire , UK , and Ged Green is the fantastic Luthier who fitted the TV jones and set up my guitar with 12`s and D to D tuning .  ( Tel  0161 428 0608 ) In North Manchester there is a super Tech. called Matt Ryan  ( Tel 01706 711829 ) Both do super work and come very highly recommended.
DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #12 
"Ged Green"?!

Do you remember the model of TV Jones you used?

Reply with quote  #13 

Hi Dan , Yes his name is truly Ged Green ! I telephoned him today and the model is a Classic . Go on the TV Jones site and the details are there . There are a few versions of the same sounding pickup to accomadate various mounting options . Am really dlighted with mine . Cheers Brian

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: