PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
leftygtr

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

With Halloween coming and just plain old curiosity I'm wondering if any of you can provide insight into this?

From that 93' GIT clinic he talks about Universal films chord voicings and plays examples. I can't get most of them have any of you transcribed this? also when he does that contrary thing to "scare your kids" with bass ascending and the descending half step chords, what's going on there theory wise so I can understand this?

Last wondering what particular movies he took all this from? I briefly looked at a couple of them and didn't hear anything like that kind of harmony.

Thanks!

bishopdm

Reply with quote  #2 
Where might one see this video?

Reply with quote  #3 

I think best/quickest way is to go here:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7821531272280033510&hl=en&emb=1#

There is other one there too (Calif Vintage Guitar Dec 2003). It's more Christmasy stuff, though.

kontiki

Reply with quote  #4 
Sammo,

could you tell us at what minute mark you're refering to?

Reply with quote  #5 
I think you refer to where he plays chords from one whole tone scale and bass lines from the other whole tone scale. It's pretty funny as I remember it.
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #6 
The movies Ted was referring to were the black and whites from the 30's and 40's.
HJ Salter is probably the primary composer i'd guess.
The films include
-Frakenstein and all his daughters, sons, and brothers;
-Wolf man and all his encounters with Frankenstein and Dracula
-Dracula films and any film with "BAT" in the title
-"B" horror films released at the same time from universal

The music was HEAVILY re-used.  You'll find parts in the Sherlock Holmes films (starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce) as well as other mystery films of the era through about 1946.

Wonderful music creatively reused and extended.
Can someone expand my list?

L
leftygtr

Reply with quote  #7 
Yes he talks about whole tone scales but in chords? what is that what does it mean? also the augmented triad descending while the low octave note is moving forward to create contrary motion. Thanks
JeffStocksMusic

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Yes he talks about whole tone scales but in chords?

Quote:
I think you refer to where he plays chords from one whole tone scale and bass lines from the other whole tone scale. 

As I recall it, I think they are from the same whole tone scale.  He talks about this in one of his lessons w/ Mark Levy as well. 

If memory serves, pick one of the two whole tone scales (I think Ted called them X or Y, perhaps A or B).  For this example, pick one starting on 'C' -- C, D, E, Gb, Ab, Bb.  Play an augmented triad from one of the notes.  We can pick any of them since there are no 'avoid' notes in that scale.  Let's go w/ 'C' augmented for giggles -- C, E, Ab.  Play that triad form but add a bass note from the whole tone scale that is not the note 'C'.  You could end up w/ a voicing like 'D, C, E, Ab' or 'E, C, E, Ab', etc.  I believe Ted actually decends through the whole tone scale in the clip I heard. 

Although I suspect that playing one whole tone scale against the other would be pretty boss too!

PaulV

Reply with quote  #9 
Whole-tone chord scales - interesting sounds. 
http://tedgreene.com/images/lessons/harmony/WholeTone_DerivedChords_1977-01-24.pdf
http://tedgreene.com/images/lessons/harmony/WholeToneSoundsUsingOneStructureAtATime_1978-08-30_1977-01-24.pdf

Happy Halloween...........

Reply with quote  #10 
minor/major seventh chord ? more a James Bond theme chord [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE