PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
rmcfee

Reply with quote  #1 
 I am new here and very glad to have found this forum!  I am about half way through the fascinating "My Life With The Chord Chemist".  He was such a genius and I can't put the book down.
   It seems that Ted loved Guild hollowbodies but there is little mention of the more popular Gibsons. I wonder how he liked them?  He loved guitars alot so I expect he loved them also. Thanks.

LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #2 
Ted had alot of guitars over the years - Hundreds.  If you look at photos in chord chemistry, you'll see gibsons well represented: Gold top les paul, es 355 (it was cherry) etc.  He's most well known, probably, for his association with the Fender Telecaster.  There are other posts about his involvement etc. with vintage and new ones (in the 1980's).  To hear him play a late 40's Super 400 acoustic, or a late 40's Martin 0018 was to see that he enjoyed lots of 'unexpected' guitars (when compared to his electric guitar 'persona').

Glad you're here.
Leon
rmcfee

Reply with quote  #3 
  Thanks Leon. I just got out Chord Chemistry and I had forgotten about those great photos.  That's the only pic I've seen of Ted with the big beard!
    Did he do all those mods by himself? Those guitars have LOTS of extra switches.

WilliamPerry

Reply with quote  #4 
Rob, welcome.  Ted's love of music is obvious.  About all those guitars, he was equally crazy about guitars.  As mentioned before he had hundreds of them (not all at once).  He always had a passion for Guilds.  They were not as well known or received as Gibson and Fender, but were more well known on the East Coast.  They reminded him of his childhood.  We spent hundreds of hours talking guitars and looking through catalogs and books.  I have a piece of paper where he listed all his early 50's teles and there must have been over 50 of them.  He loved all guitars and referred to them as "wood".  He love his "woods".  They all had names.  He did all the work on his guitars...always messing with them.  I would bring him all of my guitars to set up.  He was a master.  Last, Gibsons...he had a lot of Gibsons.  Some day I hope to display Ted's Gibson Book.  Every page has comments, and corrections for the author, circles, arrows, colored markings, and one particular es-300 a giant WOW!  Old and orphaned were his favorite, they always had the wrong tailpiece, bridge, or tuners, refinished in the wrong color, buckle rash and lots of checking, cracked tops, or loose binding and he was there.
rmcfee

Reply with quote  #5 
Fascinating! The photos indicate that the mods were done expertly - ie. the switches are very cleanly mounted, etc.
How did he get so good at so many things?? His tone was heavenly and unique.
WilliamPerry

Reply with quote  #6 
So nice to meet someone with a curiosity about Ted.  Ted was a man of incredibly deep passions for most of life and learning.  He is known for his playing but had universal passions.  There was a time in our lives when we would get together and often talk for 20 hours or more.  It was exhausting but alway so much passion and excitement.  Everything that he was interested in: baseball, psychology, spirituality, classic cars, art, pop culture, guitars, amps, musicians, movies, dance...whatever, he could have written the definitive books about them.  He had to know everything, everything about a subject or person.  His depth of knowledge was encyclopedic.  But, unlike most geniuses he was so interesting, and funny.  The funniest man I've ever known.  So wiring guitars?  He just had to do it.  Ted hardly ever slept and spent his whole life learning.  There wasn't any challenge that he wouldn't take and would always encourage others to live life fully and with passion. Sorry about going on, it excites me when people want to know a little about Ted the person.  His life still guides and inspires me everyday.
WilliamPerry

Reply with quote  #7 
So nice to meet someone with a curiosity about Ted.  Ted was a man of incredibly deep passions for most of life and learning.  He is known for his playing but had universal passions.  There was a time in our lives when we would get together and often talk for 20 hours or more.  It was exhausting but alway so much passion and excitement.  Everything that he was interested in: baseball, psychology, spirituality, classic cars, art, pop culture, guitars, amps, musicians, movies, dance...whatever, he could have written the definitive books about them.  He had to know everything, everything about a subject or person.  His depth of knowledge was encyclopedic.  But, unlike most geniuses he was so interesting, and funny.  The funniest man I've ever known.  So wiring guitars?  He just had to do it.  Ted hardly ever slept and spent his whole life learning.  There wasn't any challenge that he wouldn't take and would always encourage others to live life fully and with passion. Sorry about going on, it excites me when people want to know a little about Ted the person.  His life still guides and inspires me everyday.
rmcfee

Reply with quote  #8 
   It always struck me that he was quite young when those incredible books were written and yet he continued to play and study (deeply study, it seems) all his life.
    To have gotten to that theoretical level so young is one thing, but to manage to get so heavily into all those other subjects is amazing.  No wonder he didn't sleep much - how could he? There would be few hours left.
     I had always been mystified by his books but the more I learn, the more humbling his life becomes!

roborizino

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcfee
Fascinating! The photos indicate that the mods were done expertly - ie. the switches are very cleanly mounted, etc. How did he get so good at so many things?? His tone was heavenly and unique.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE