PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
Keith

Reply with quote  #1 
Did Ted talk about and when and where to use the chords built from the OTD scale?
James

Reply with quote  #2 
If you are referring to http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/v_system/V-2_StructuresInTheOvertoneDominantScale_2001.pdf
this is an interesting listing of V-System chords that are diatonic to the overtone dominant scale that Ted did for his own study and exploration.  He was probably curious to know every possible four-distinct-note chord that can be derived from the OTD scale.

As to practical usage, Ted's normal pattern would be to mathematically generate a complete list like this and then pull out choice voicings, those chords that sounded good and intrigued him.  From choice voicings, he would come up with example musical passages that he could use in different situations.

In this case, it looks to me like he accomplished the step of mathematically generating all the voicings.  He also organized them in several ways.  And he put stars next to grids indicating what are probably some of the choice voicings.

As barbaralovedcats says, there is:
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/chords/ProgressionsForLearningSharp11Dominants_1979-04-13.pdf
which has some great progressions that use #11 Dominant chords.

There is also:
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/singlenote/Dbl4noteTonerows_OvertoneDom.pdf
which may be of interest.
Keith

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the responses you guys. I was referring to the page in the V section. I wasn't able to find any grids for this, only standard notation. My best to you. Keith
PaulV

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi guys,
I messed up with the file of "V-2 Structures in the Overtone Dominant Scale" lesson pages.
I forgot to include Ted's three original pages.
This is now corrected, so if you downloaded that 7-page document, you'll want to delete it and get the new 10-page version.
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/v_system/V-2_StructuresInTheOvertoneDominantScale_2001.pdf

Sorry, but these things happen.
Complex pages like this takes a lot of work, and we get input from various people.  This one was a collaboration of translation and graphics by yours truly, comments and guidance from James Hober, proofreading by David Bishop, and of course the website posting by Dan Sindel.  You should be happy that you don't have to try to decipher Ted's original pages, which are pretty hard to read and interpret.  As mentioned many times, these pages are from Ted's personal music study files, and they were never meant for handing out to students or publishing as they are.  These are his experiments and explorations on certain concepts he was working on....so he wasn't trying to be neat.  Hopefully our "transcription" or "translation" pages help. However, this is a pretty complex subject to begin with, so don't trouble yourself over it too much. Find a couple of chords that you like and make some music with them!

Keith, 
Go to the very last page (p.10) and you'll find Ted's grids for the V-2 chords of the Overtone Dominant scale.  The ones with stars are ones he liked.  And of course we know that the circles (unfilled dots) are optional notes - using any of the optional notes changes the chord name slightly.

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you Paul, this is wonderful.
Best, Keith
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #6 
what are those notes in relation to the note C?
PaulV

Reply with quote  #7 
We'll be sure to post more of Ted's sheets on "Chord Streams" in the coming months.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE