PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
madridton

Reply with quote  #1 
hi! i´m from Madrid
i have a question of this great musician, what kind of string he used in his telecaster? 0.12?
i love this sound and all his music
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Madridton,
Basically Ted used:  .013 or (.014) .017 .026 .034 .044 .056  (and generally he was tuned down, of course - usually to Eb)

Reply with quote  #3 
thanks!!!
i don´t know that he had in other tune the guitar..

uau!! his fingers was very strong...o.13... and all the time playing chord..how many time he practic with his guitar?

thanks for all!!

and excuse me my english!!!

JeffStocksMusic

Reply with quote  #4 
Madriton, no worries about your english. We are all friends here.

A few things to remember about Ted's sound:

1.  He heavily modified his telecasters in a variety of ways.  His modifications helped him get a nice, balanced tone across all strings.
2.  He didn't have any fingernails on his right hand.
3.  He used a ton of reverb.
4.  He pulled and pushed the neck of the guitar to give it a shimmering, vibrato-type sound.  Bill Frisell does this as well.
5.  Probably most importantly, he had complete control over the density and complexity of his chords.  He could control the overall sound of his guitar by his chord voicing choices.  This includes where he played them on the neck as well (as in--on which string set).

Hope this helps.  I am no expert on Ted, but I sure have studied him a ton!  Others may have some additional tips.

saten10

Reply with quote  #5 
Jeff, when you say he didn't have any fingernails on his right hand, his fingerpicking hand, are you sure? i don't see how he could get such a clean tone without nails, and i believe in a few of his books he personally reccomends growing the nails to achieve a better feel and tone. I could be wrong though
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Saten, Ted used his fingertips - the ONLY nail he let grow a tiny bit was his right thumb nail.  He would use it for "special effects."   Again, Ted did not use any other fingernails - just fingertips.  His other fingernails were virtually non-existent!  Really!   Barbara

Reply with quote  #7 

...and in the event you weren't already amazed at Ted's sound and tone - try that fingertip thing on for size!

LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #8 
The string guages seem big, but tuned down their not as difficult as you may imagine. However, they are in line with acoustic guitar strings, so don't be put off.  Try the bigger strings, and strings in between. It can help make the sound wonderful, permit slightly lower action in some cases, and will keep up your acoustic guitar chops. 
You'll also be ready for finger wrestling matches.

Leon
blueslogic

Reply with quote  #9 
Using Higher String gauges isn't really hard if you're tuning down.
I'm just starting to play again after a 10 year gap. I started with my Acoustic using 12s tuned down to D.
I figured it would be less painful for my soft fingertips. After awhile I got so used to playing tuned down to D from E, that if I tune up, the guitar sounds too high to me. I keep my Acoustic tuned down to D now.
I have a Martin HD28 and it sounds so much richer to me tuned lower. Besides years ago I tuned down to D a lot for open tunings anyway.

I tried to do it on my Telecaster, but the fret nut is cut too narrow for anything thicker than 10s.

I'd love to set up my Tele or Strat with 11s tuned down, but I need a new fret nut and my guitar-repair-guru, is gone. I'm afraid to turn my instrument over to some kid I don't know.

Wayne,
ronjazz

Reply with quote  #10 
Buy a blank and try to do it yourself; I think Ted did most of his own work.
blueslogic

Reply with quote  #11 
I used to do most of my own work as well. The problem is that we lost almost all of our possessions in a flood in 2006. You can imagine how much stuff a guitarist can collect over 35 years. All my electronic gear as well, amps and all. I had a lot of parts, pickups and many tools.
I kept a small box for each of my guitars too. My Acoustic box had Winter and Summer Bridge Saddles I made. Since I live in Upstate NY the season changes are brutal on my acoustic.

I can't even afford to replace nut files anymore.
I did save my Guitars, which we put on the second floor, I do have a few music books and one original Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, Compressor. Still works, still cool.
Wayne,

ronjazz

Reply with quote  #12 
Wow, what a drag. Well, best of luck in any event.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE