PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

VISIT OUR NEW SUPPORT PORTAL
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..

Author   Comment  
BrianB

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if Ted ever did an arrangement of Someday My Prince Will Come. It definitely has a lot of potential to be a great solo guitar piece, and it strikes me as something Ted might have played. So if anyone knows if he did or not, or better yet, could post his version, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again on creating this forum and site, what a wonderful tool for musicians, and admirers of Ted.

PaulV

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Brian,
Yes, Ted did do a "quickie" arrangement of Someday My Prince Will Come for a student at a private lesson.  It's not very long, but there are some nice chord moves in it.  I know that Ted did play this as part of his regular solo pieces, but he didn't always commit to paper his arrangements...unless it was for his students.
If you will be a little patient with me, I'll post it along with a compilation of his chord boxes plus music notation (hopefully within a few days).
--Paul

Reply with quote  #3 

Someday My Prince Will Come

Ted Greene arrangement, combined with notation.

This is Ted’s arrangement of Someday My Prince Will Come, written for a student at a private lesson on April 10, 2000.  It’s more of an outline rather than a complete arrangement.  This song is from Disney's 1937 animated movie Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, written by Frank Churchill, with lyrics by Larry Morey.  In a number of jazz fake books its written in the key of Bb, but Ted chose to put it in E.  This is not a difficult arrangement to play, and is pretty self-explanatory.

The second chord in the 2nd measure is marked as “ /3” to indicate that it is a G#7 with the 3rd in the bass (1st inversion).  He also wrote “optional” for the note on the 3rd string – in that case the chord would be G#7(b9)/B#.

On the original chart there are a couple of places in which the progression is:  iii7 - biii dim – ii7.  I like the way that Ted thinks of that dim chord as the i dim maj7, or as i dim extended….

You’ll have to add your own chords for the 2nd ending, since Ted didn’t include one.

Keep in mind that this was written up during a lesson, so it’s not as intricate or as complete as Ted might have done if he had made a more “official” arrangement.

Hope this helps in understanding Ted’s chord-melody approach a little better.

Enjoy!

--Paul

***files moved to tedgreene.com   

http://www.tedgreene.com/fromstudents/SomedayMyPrinceWillCome.asp

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Paul
Thank you !  Thank you ! Thank you !
Michael

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you so much Paul this is extremely helpful.
jazd

Reply with quote  #6 
also want to ThaaankYou,
first sourced 'but beautiful' awhile back ; not having heard/known lotta the 'standards', it helps greatly! ;
had gone to 'lastFM.com' (cool site, a bit commercial though)  to play originals like 'foggy day' & 'autumn leaves' , trying to get the measures/timing, but your work helps way more and replaced that
would you (please!?!) consider doing "If I Fell"

sugarmegs.org is a goldmine for American music! (live) click on first picture at top (spoof of Maxell ad) then, letters of alphabet for artists

PaulV

Reply with quote  #7 
Hey Jazd,
Go to the "Arrangements" section of the TedGreene.com for Ted's "If I Fell" arrangement combined with notation:

http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/arrangements/If_I_Fell_TedGreeneArrangement_1989-01-311.pdf
and
http://www.tedgreene.com/images/lessons/arrangements/If_I_Fell_TedGreeneArrangementFragments_1982-05-19_1989-11-20.pdf

Glad these pages are helpful (they are for me!)
--Paul

Reply with quote  #8 
2008?  Wow!  It's been almost a decade since this song was requested and I am very pleased to announce there is more to glean from this beautiful tune directly from the master, Ted himself. I've had some lessons given to me from a co-worker and friend, Cesar Pineda, whom I had the pleasure of introducing to Ted for guitar lessons.  It's obviously taken me some time and experimentation to brave the world of YouTube.  Paul asked me to post this in the forums since I originally posted this video on YouTube last July, but due to the fact the audio was only on the left track, I wanted to tweak it first before announcing it.  It's now whole!  Enjoy!

Please read the lesson summary under the video on YouTube, Like, and post your comments if you so feel inclined.  My apologies to those whom their comments vanished when I posted the updated video.  

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE