PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
edwardmp2

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to arrange a set of solo guitar for a recital, with a focus on Ted's work and arrangements. I already know a few of his arrangements (danny boy, clowns, etc) and I'm looking for some fresh pieces to work on.

I currently working on "The Girl with the flaxen hair" but if anyone can recommend their favourite Gershwin or baroque arrangement or piece by Ted that would be great. If only audio or chart exists its fine.

If anyone has a recommendation of a particularly difficult piece technically or tempo wise that would be cool aswell.

Thanks for the helps guys,
Ed
PaulV

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Ed,
Go to the "Arrangements" section.  We have tons of Ted's arrangements posted there.
http://www.tedgreene.com/teaching/default.asp

I mean....that's pretty obvious, isn't it?

Reply with quote  #3 
I am amazed, that some people can play Ted's arrangements...note for note!...wow.....beautiful as they are...that would over tax my memory banks.....I like to see his logic on tunes and get the general idea of what he is doing and where he is going and spin off from that......I suspect Ted would want you to do that.....
AllanW

Reply with quote  #4 
I was one of those guys that had to learn The Album (and other recorded performances) note-for-note.

Eventually I realized that no matter how well I managed to play Ted's arrangements, I'd never be more than a 4th-rate him, and that what I needed was to be a 1st-rate me, whatever that might mean.

It became exciting to discover that I heard things differently than Ted, reached for different harmonies and rhythms, even as his teaching opened up a universe for me which I never could have discovered on my own.

Ted was gone by then, but I agree, that's what he'd want for all of us; after all, who did he sound like? Just himself.

Allan
tedandbarbaraare1

Reply with quote  #5 
Well said.  

Reply with quote  #6 
Out of Teds Arrangments I’ve really enjoyed, on top of what you know, Nature Boy and Over the Rainbow.
I recommend Old man River.. I’ve been hashing that out for a year now and it’s still never right...

If your looking for other solo arrangements maybe try Lenny Breau and Kurt Rosenwinkel.
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #7 
Ruby seems to be considered a pretty difficult Ted teaching arrangement.  3 keys, different harmonic treatments, and perhaps some physical challenges.  Or, grab a transcription of some of his Bach wanderings and incorporate them, as he did, in an arrangement you already know - perhaps a less difficult one. ?  I agree that old man river, perfected, is probably a 'show stopper' if this is for a recital/audition (where one of the listeners might not be asleep).

Good luck and let us know what you select.

Leon
edwardmp2

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks guys,

I think my original post was taken up the wrong way. I am composing some pieces and arrangements myself, was just looking for inspiration from versions I mightn't have heard before.

Currently working on some baroque ideas, taking some julian lage influence on this piece.

Thanks for all your input! Much appreciated.

Ed
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE