PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
ClaytonL

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey, I've tried to get a handle on this for a while but I'm not sure if its a losing battle. Is the quick single note stuff in Just Friends (the Ted Greene version of course) done with his fingers or with a pick? I've been trying to develop speed with my two fingers for quite a while, and I'm having a hard time. I don't have any nails and that could be the problem. Does anyone here play strictly fingerstyle? I mostly do, but use a pick for quick stuff.
omobob

Reply with quote  #2 
As Leon White posted (General / Playing Alone - I searched on "pick mouth"):

"That little improv was made up in the studio - Ted had to work on where to put the pick before and after it.  It started in his mouth and ended up on his knee after the solo, as there was no splice.  The pic was a small 'jazz pick' tortoise shell thing - but he didn't seem to be too caught up with it as a special pick or anything.  He played it once on a break, and I jumped up and said 'do that!!!!' - so he said ok once he worked out the pick from mouth to hand to knee thing." - Leon White

ClaytonL

Reply with quote  #3 
Oh wow! Thats pretty wild! Thats kinda what I'm getting to now... Maybe I'll just have to alternate between fingers and pick.
JeffStocksMusic

Reply with quote  #4 
Clayton, a couple of guys who are alive who play lines in a pure or hybrid (thumbpick) fingerstyle are Steve Herberman and Lorne Lofsky.  If you have the extra $, Steve has a lesson on Mike's Master Classes on playing single notes in fingerstyle.   Might give you some ideas on things to work on.

Just thought I would toss a couple names out.  You can check on youtube for many clips of Steve to hear him and watch his technique.  He is a wonderful guy, player, and teacher.  Good luck.
JeffStocksMusic

Reply with quote  #5 
Here is a clip of that class I mentioned:

ronjazz

Reply with quote  #6 
The lute players of the 17th and 18th centuries used an alternating thumb-index technique for rapid scale passages. When I developed a focal dystonia some years ago and lost my right-hand classical technique, I remembered this technique, and it works very well, especially for "swing" phrasing.
ClaytonL

Reply with quote  #7 
Lorne Lofsky is super super good. I've got a bunch of his albums, I havn't heard of the other guy though... I'll definitely check it out. I'm definitely gonna look into the lute technique too! Thanks guys!
markjens

Reply with quote  #8 
Another technique, though not as common, is to use an alternating thumb/middle finger technique.  I learned this from Steven King (fingerstyle player, not writer) who advocates it as a more natural hand position, and having used it for a while I would say it is quite comfortable.  I'm not adept at single string work, but when I warm up and stuff that is what I use.

Mark

ChemicalChords

Reply with quote  #9 

I know Lenny Breau does that thumb-index finger technique when he plays fast single note lines. He does that on the youtube video of him playing Georgia On My Mind.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE