PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Anders

Reply with quote  #16 
Yep, Paul's handout are better quality, and it's also complete. The "rhythmic notation" page is not included in Jim's pdf. 
I really enjoyed watching this video.
Thanks again, Jim and Paul!
TedGreeneFan

Reply with quote  #17 
Here's another version of the "A Session with the Stars" video:

Reply with quote  #18 
Anyone who is computer savvy and knows how to make use of DVD ISO images.
You can PM me and I'll pass you a link to download the ISO image for this 'session with the stars', it also includes the MIT 1993 video (the one with baroque autumn leaves).

I got the DVD image from some kind user's FTP site posted many years ago.
TLerch

Reply with quote  #19 
thanks. this version is much clearer than the one that was posted earlier. 
all the best 
 Tim
DaveAnno

Reply with quote  #20 
Thanks for posting this great vid! I had a chuckle when Ted mentions doing a "more advanced" video next time... I'm sure those guys' heads were spinning already.

Man, Ted's playing was really spot on too. I love everything I've seen, but here he seems so precise!

Reply with quote  #21 
I really encourage people to check out A Session with the Stars, especially Progression #8, the most difficult progression Ted plays in this video, which starts at 39:17.  (You can move the YouTube video slider to start at about that point.  Then make if full screen.)  What is extremely cool about this segment is that it eventually zooms in on Ted's left hand so you can see his exact fingerings!  Even if you studied with Ted and were two feet away from him when he played, you didn't have the ability to freeze frame, to back up and replay again and again.  You do here.

Check out Ted's thumb.  Of course, sometimes it's behind the neck for barres and sometimes peeking out above the neck like most players play.  But what is fascinating is that he will play a chord and then shift his hand for the next chord but the thumb will stay and not shift, or at least not shift as much.  I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing but it is clearly present in Ted's playing.  It's a kind of pivoting from a somewhat fixed thumb.  I'd really love to hear your thoughts about this if you have any.

There's at least one place where Ted deviates from the handout.  Instead of G9#11 F#13 #11 (last chord of line 5, last page of handout), it looks to me like he plays G(7)b9b5+ F#13#11b9 (see attached).  Try freeze framing the video and see if you think I'm right about this.

He also adds a little blues tag on the end.  I didn't have time to transcribe the final E chord harmonics but the chords leading up to it are easy to transcribe.  (I threw in a quick guess at the last chord for the harmonics but please double check me on this one.)

I sometimes found fingerings for progression #8 that are easier for me than what Ted played.  But it's fascinating and rare to get to see the fingering choices he made.

Inline image

sjl

Reply with quote  #22 
I have to say that for me this is the best piece of educational harmonic jazz material I've ever watch. It is just incredible.
I have so many books but not one of them touches those comping subtleties the way Ted did in this video.

I hope Ted's legend will grow and grow year by year and all guitarist know how big he was.

Reply with quote  #23 
We have now posted a copy of Ted's handout sheets for the video "A Session with the Stars."
It is located in our Lessons / Chord Studies section.
Here's a link to the page:
SessionWithTheStars-TedGreeneHandoutSheets.pdf

And here is another link to the video on YouTube:

Reply with quote  #24 
Interesting to see that this video has now been added to YouTube with Japanese subtitles.

Reply with quote  #25 
So great that you found the hand-outs.

Reply with quote  #26 
What about the "booklet" Ted mentions at 17:17. Did anyone ever find one of those? I assume they are different than the hand-out sheets.

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE