PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Gonzalo

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everybody:
There is a forum in wich Scott Henderson answers some questions from his fans. Here´s his wonderful words about Ted. Hope you like it!!

Hi Scott,

1- It is well known that quite a few pro guitarists took lessons with Ted Greene. Just wondering if you ever studied with him. I know chord melody isn't your thing, but Ted was a master of harmony, so i thought perhaps you might've gone for a lesson or too? Did you ever get to see Ted perform at GIT?

Quote:
I took a few lessons with him and saw him play many times at GIT. He was a total freak of nature, an amazing musician and definitely one of best guitarists in the world. I have so much of his playing on cassette, I'll never have time to study it all in this lifetime. I have some great harmony floating around in my head, but I don't have instant access to it like Ted had. He could improvise beautiful harmony AND counterpoint lines and bass at the same time - it sounded like he was instantly composing classical music influenced by jazz. He was the closest thing to Joe Zawinul on guitar.

PaulV

Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks for sharing this.  I wonder what Scott meant when he said, "I have so much of his playing on cassette."  Does he mean some recordings of private lessons with Ted?  If so, I wonder if he would be willing to share those with the larger guitarist community.
--Paul

Reply with quote  #3 

That would be a wild lesson, hearing those two talk shop!

markjens

Reply with quote  #4 

Paul, I like the way you think!  Perhaps a smidgen of research is in order? '

Gonzalo

Reply with quote  #5 
Paul , I will try to ask a question in Scott´s forum, and see if there is a chance.
I agree, to hear Ted and Scott together would be fascinating!
PaulV

Reply with quote  #6 
Scott Henderson also wrote this about Ted:

"I like to transcribe stuff, either great saxophone solos or compositions that I like. In my lesson with Ted, he just played a lot, which is what I asked him to do. I have enough on that tape to keep me busy for a long time."

And, when asked about any guitarists he would make an effort to hear what they're up to or try to see them live whenever possible:

"I like to hear Kurt Rosenwinkle - he's awesome. I would never miss the chance to see Phillip DeGruy either, or Ted Greene."

And about Ted's passing:

"Sad, sad news. Ted came to GIT occasionally and he was a great and inspiring player and teacher. I took a private lesson with him a couple years ago and it was incredible - it would take me years to study what I have on a one hour cassette. I remember after my lesson with Ted, I was walking to my car and looking up at his huge apartment building which looked so faceless among the countless other apartment buildings on the street, and I was thinking what an anonymous place for such a guru of that magnitude to live - he should be in a palace on top of a mountain. He was truly a music genius and a very generous teacher who'll be missed by all."

Just in case you guys were interested.
--Paul

Reply with quote  #7 
We actually talked some about Ted Greene a couple of weeks ago again when Oz Noy and Scott Henderson had an so called Open Counselling together. Os Noy was very curious about Ted Greene, so i pulled up my Chord Chemistry book and showed him, and Scott spoke some about him, and one thing he actually said: "I was impressed because were all so ridicously under his level and it was amazing that he would come down to the level of the students and talk about simple stuff and didnt mind doing it, and then he would play something that was just so over the heads of anybody"
wkriski

Reply with quote  #8 
Great stuff, thanks for posting. I like Scott Henderson's playing.

Reply with quote  #9 
@ lawyercharlesm
everythings fine thanks for asking!
Right now our break just started, which was very welcome.
Havent really practiced last 2 weeks due to finals, but otherwise im mostly working at "fundamentals" for more intricate harmony studies. So alot of triad studies right now!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE