PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Jarrelles

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all, I'm new here, i only found out about the world of Ted Greene earlier this week, i have already bought both Chord Chemistry and MCP and have decided after looking over these forums that i'm going to start with Modern Chord Progressions first, using Chord Chemistry to supplement it when needed. Im on pg. 15 and am just starting to learn the I iii IV V progressions, I'm going to do as the book suggests, and take my favourites and learn to play them in all keys, while also figuring out the notes that make up each of these different chord voicings in their respective keys, to cement my knowledge of their chord construction, my question is;

when transposing the progressions into different keys is their a particular technique i should use to get the same/similar voicings/figurings?

What technique do you guys use moving these progressions into different keys?

It will take me a while at first because although i have some knowledge on chord construction and intervals, my key signature theory is non-existent, but i do understand the mechanics of how it works i just need to practice it.

This was my first post, sorry for making it such a lengthy one.

Reply with quote  #2 
I don't think anybody here would disagree that some of the hippest information anywhere that is related to learning key signatures can be found at the end of part 3 and the beginning of part 4 of the following two Ted master level lessons. 

http://tedgreene.com/video/tedgreene_LennyLesson_3.asp

http://tedgreene.com/video/tedgreene_LennyLesson_4.asp

Good luck.  

Reply with quote  #3 
I agree with the above, and those progressions from MCP can easily be transposed with same fingerings  just by moving the whole progression up or down the neck. So, #1 is in C, if you move all the chords up two frets you're in D. Back two frets and you play in Bb, etc.

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Dave, i thought so but i wanted to check i wasn't missing out on any thing i should've been applying during the key changes, i'll chose focus on the voicing and there place in the progression (iii etc.). Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Reply with quote  #5 
You'll see Ted refer to moving chords across the fingerboard (up one string or down one string) and making any adjustments necessary for the tuning.  He saw it as a useful tool for learning.  That's mentioned in Chord Chemistry (can't remember where, and I just went through it to write the 'trail guide' - arghh).  That is a useful tool for going up or down a 4th (roughly) but takes a little more mental work to execute.

L
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE