PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
RobertS

Reply with quote  #1 

Hi - love this Ted Greene original and many thanks to Paul V and David Bishop for the work on this sheet, and for the analysis from David Bishop. David in your analysis - you wrote:

"In classical harmony this is an “augmented sixth” chord, which was more often used in the

classical era and beyond as an approach chord to the dominant. It does appear in Baroque

works but to a lesser extent. This chord would normally be voiced so that it approaches the V

from a half-step above (if this were the case here, G would be in the bass, with the F-natural

[spelled as E#) placed somewhere above), rather than a half-step below, as here. I know of

only one Baroque piece—a very famous one—that does contain this chord in such an unusual

inversion, as an approach to the V from a half-step below: Bach’s Mass in B minor. (For those

with access to the score, it appears as the last chord in m. 51 [the third bar from the end].) It is

even itself approached by a half-step below, just as in Ted’s piece."

I am trying to "hear" the chord change / inversion you are referring to in Bach Mass in B Minor..are you referring to m.51 of the very last 3 bars of the whole work? ie the Dona nobis pacem? or some other intermediate section? Appreciate any further guidance as Im keen on hearing Bach's chord move that you are referring to.

Thanks in advance.

bishopdm

Reply with quote  #2 
Well, that wasn't very helpful...I didn't tell you which section! It's in m. 51 of the Crucifixus, on beat 3: from the bass upward, C#-G-Bb-Eb.

Reply with quote  #3 
OK got it now - thanks David

Fascinating that you actually correlated Ted's chord move in his Processional to that particularly subtle chord move deep inside Bach B minor mass ! Well done.!

Robert
James

Reply with quote  #4 
Wikipedia has the Bach excerpt in score in its article on the augmented sixth chord:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augmented_sixth_chord
RobertS

Reply with quote  #5 

I came across this audio file from a while ago, and thought it might be useful to someone who might be interested to hear what this fascinating piece sounds like before diving into it. I find it a real beauty, but a beast to play (for me), but nonetheless here it is flubs and all:

bishopdm

Reply with quote  #6 
Nicely played, Robert!
Print

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE