PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Jarrelles

Reply with quote  #1 

Hi guys, as the title says, if you could have a look at my daily practice routine and see if my schedule looks okay, i do plan to change it in the future as i complete some of my goals and become a more advanced guitarist.

My musical goals are to be a songwriter, i would like to be able to lay down emotionally evoking chord progressions, with interesting melodies, not just strumming away chords, i want to be able to write my own solos for bridge sections of my songs, jam with other musicians and overall just to be a proficient musician. 

Here is my daily practice routine: 

30 min fretboard memorisation

1 hour interval spellings (i.e learning to instantly recall all intervals of all notes, -e.g major third above F is A etc. and being able to spell out chords and scales on the fly)

1h 30min practicing songs, just to keep my motor skills improving and explore and learn new music, at the moment i'm learning Tommy Emmanuel's version of classical gas

1h - Working through Ted Greene books, applying/practicing the ideas.

Fretboard memorisation and learning all the intervals i will eventually move to a few times a week and start introducing solo/improv practice, i think i have a month left until they're absolutely burned into me, and i consider them worthy of so much of my daily practice time because once they're in my brain picking out chords all over the fretboard will be much easier and just music theory in general will be easier to digest knowing all the intervals so well.

Im also afraid of adding learning more about improvisation and soloing now and being in the position of trying to learn too many things at once.

If you've read what my musical goals are i am completely open to your criticism and suggestions, i want to spend my practice time as best i can. Thank you, greatly.

Reply with quote  #2 
Four hours a day is pretty good, probably more than most people do.  [wink] I agree that knowing the fretboard is important. In general what you spend time actually studying/playing is what you will get better at.

Reply with quote  #3 
As mentioned, 4 hours is great! Keep that up.

I would cut the interval training to a 1/2 hour and the 'song' learning to maybe 45 mins to an hour.
If you really do want to learn about improv (and by extension songwriting and musical creativity in general) - it's never too early to start. Go for it. I've never met a musician that didn't neglect some aspect of their playing for something else at some point in their journey. *Ted may have been the only one [wink]

Personally, I find that everything I work on helps everything else get better.
It's not a race. There is no endgame. That's part of the beauty of music.

In your above description I noticed you didn't mention scales and arpeggios. Those are both super important and interrelated to everything else you're studying - musically and theoretically. They will also (greatly) help your overall technique.

Everybody's different. If you really feel that you can't concentrate or are wandering on something - ? Stop. Move on and/or take a break.

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for your replies guys, I've decided to start to incorporate improv/scales etc into my daily practice as suggested as being able to write melodies and solos is a big goal of mine, Ive ordered Ted's single note soloing book, but i realise you need to know how to read music which i don't, so I've removed the fretboard memorisation from my routine and replaced it with learning to read music for half an hour a day, as this will teach me the fretboard anyway, and, i imagine, a lot more on time signatures and rhythm. 

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE