PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
AndersG

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffStocksMusic
Andy,

Ted talks to Mark on one of his lessons about a Peavey he liked because it had parametric eq which let him increase or decrease very specific frequencies.  I can't find which lesson file it is, but I want to say the model was the 'Renown'. 

Bumping ancient post.

I don't know whether its the same amp in question but I saw him with a Peavey TNT/TKO 115 bass amp in the 90s. It had the onboard EQ and a big 15 inch speaker and an unbelievable Jazz guitar tone. Perhaps someone here can clarify more about it, whatever happened to the one he had, etc., but it was definitely his and not venue owned. He talked about it for a bit and said it was his favorite amp for a certain, specific tonal coloration.
spider

Reply with quote  #17 
Thanks for resurrecting this thread Anders! I don't know how I missed it before.
    I have owned and used a Peavey Austin 400 amp off and on since the late 80s and next to a Silverface Fender Twin (which it rivals in both clean headroom and weight!) the Austin is my favourite amp! It has two separate channels, one for acoustic instruments and one for electric, apparently for the eletric guitar player that doubles on mandolin or fiddle... It has 2-12" Black Widows and a HF horn that is only on when you're plugged into and using the acoustic channel. Both channels have boost and cut/ parametric eq with sweepable mids and share a really lush spring reverb.   But that's not all!
 There is also a foot switch that mutes the acoustic channel, and turns on/off the reverb and distortion /gain on the electric channel. It's kind of like having your own P.A.onstage....Did I mention a pre-eq effects loop? Yep, it has that too!
    I can see why Ted would have liked Peaveys from the 70s and early 80s. They have incredible headroom (just ask steel guitar players) and tons of clean power....I play my Telecaster and Gretsch through the acoustic channel for the little bit of sparkle the horn gives them. However the amp is HEAVY, over 100lbs but then so is a Twin with JBLs....
AndersG

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider
I can see why Ted would have liked Peaveys from the 70s and early 80s. They have incredible headroom (just ask steel guitar players) and tons of clean power.

For sure. I'm fairly certain that Ted's big Peavey 115 was a TNT.

I am an amp junkie. Only own a few guitars (I feel the difference between one electric guitar and another is heavily overstated) but much to the chagrin of my wife, have a vintage amp addiction to the point that I've had to rent a storage unit just to contain the hoard. Anyone who can perform basic electronic repairs- recapping, biasing, cleaning pots, diagnosing and soldering connections, etc- can get some pretty amazing vintage amps for essentially nothing.

Vintage Peaveys are spectacular amps. Other than early generation Yamahas (The Fifty/One Hundred 410's, B212's, G100's), golden age Peaveys are probably my biggest soft spot. They're still pretty underappreciated in the states but in Europe- where Europeans have always had to pay about 2X-3X what people in the states pay for Peaveys- they tend to be a bit more objectively appreciated for their performance since they don't have the 'bargain' stigma like they do in the US.

It's funny how peoples opinions on 'tone' is often reconciled more on what they paid than what they actually hear [wink]
countandduke

Reply with quote  #19 
Back in the mid 80's, WOW it feels weird to write that, before I knew really ANYTHING about amps, effects, etc... I was at the mercy of the local salesperson at the music store where I was taking lessons in Jacksonville, FL.  My parents had bought me a Harmony guitar from Sears (I think) for Christmas and bought a Rocktown (I think) amp to go along with it.  Neither of them were very good but certainly worked fine for my beginner needs.  So I saved up some money and bought the amp I was told about by the salesperson.  It was a Peavey Renown!!!  Little did I know that one of the speakers wasn't even CONNECTED and I would remedy this about 4 months after I initially got the amp.  Anyways, I remember the amp being HEAVY and had decent tones on both channels.  I got rid of the amp in 1992 when my Uncle bought me a Peavey 5150 straight cabinet, a Marshall JMP-1, a Rocktron 150 Power amp and a Rocktron Intellifex.  I still own the 5150 cabinet but have since replaced the other items.  BUT, to this day, the JMP-1 remains one of my favorite preamps, the Intellifex has great tones as well and my Rocktron 150 power amp never failed me despite being left in a storage unit through a Chicago winter AND then a hot Chicago summer.

Anyways, I was VERY inexperienced when I played the Renown but I DO remember it having a very good clean headroom and a very immediate attack which was most likely due to the solid state of the amp.

I've been away from this website for a bit, but I ALWAYS love coming back and seeing the enormous generosity of those of you who take the time to post all the fantastic lesson material and stories etc, about Ted.

Thanks sooooooooooo much,
Chris
PaulV

Reply with quote  #20 
Thanks for sharing, Chris.  Nice to have you pop your head in here now and then.  
I'm glad you like the stuff we post each month.  

Reply with quote  #21 
Glad to be a part of things here where (hopefully) some of what I know about effects and what not can be of use to someone...

Best,

Chris
MarkSpangler

Reply with quote  #22 
Great to see some fellow Peavey lovers here. I got the bug several years ago when I heard Ted talking about them in Mark Levy's lesson. I figured if they were good enough for Ted I better check them out. At the moment I have two from the mid-80s. The Bandit 65 is a fantastic grab & go amplifier; single 12, not all that heavy and plenty of power, decent reverb. I paid $100 for it on craigslist. That's the other great thing, these amps are so cheap and there are thousands of them out there.

My pride and joy is a fairy rare model, The Jazz Classic. 200 watts with a 15" Black Widow speaker. I guess with that name it must have been aimed at the jazz market. It is a brilliant sounding amp with a huge smooth clean tone...gets me about as close to the "Ted" sound as I can get with my limited abilities…[smile]

For what it's worth, I like to plug into the low gain input on these amps. There is still plenty of power and headroom and it seems to open up the sound a bit and takes some of the stiffness out of the sound. Also, to my ears these amps sound way better if you use some kind of good outboard reverb. The Peavey reverb is ok, but it's a bit murky sounding sometimes. Using a different reverb tends to lean-up the bottom and put more sheen and sparkle in the high end.

DaveAnno

Reply with quote  #23 
Hi guys, I'm thinking about getting a Peavey amp. There's a Bandit 65 and a Studio Pro 40 available locally, I think they are both from the 80s. Can anyone describe the difference between the two? (besides watts) Just curious if the tones are noticeably varied...

Reply with quote  #24 
Anybody know if Ted tended to use the peavey amps both for single coil guitars like his Tele, as well as his humbucker-equipped and hollowbody or semi-hollowbody type instruments? Wondering if he preferred his Fender tube amps for the stock tele with single coils, or any particular trend like that.. Thanks for any insights!
DaveAnno

Reply with quote  #25 
Hehe I did end up getting a couple of 80s era Peaveys, love 'em!

Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by experimental
Anybody know if Ted tended to use the peavey amps both for single coil guitars like his Tele, as well as his humbucker-equipped and hollowbody or semi-hollowbody type instruments? Wondering if he preferred his Fender tube amps for the stock tele with single coils, or any particular trend like that. Thanks for any insights!
I don't think so. Ted knew the strength and weaknesses of all of his gear and used it accordingly. So, he would pick the best amp for the job. He would take into account the type of room he was playing in as well as all the other factors like which guitar he was going to use and what kind of music he expected to be performing.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE