PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
andybrown

Reply with quote  #1 

Does anyone know if Ted ever used Peavey amps? Even just around the house? Just curious....thanks.

JeffStocksMusic

Reply with quote  #2 
Andy,

Ted talks to Mark on one of his lessons about a Peavey he liked because it had parametric eq which let him increase or decrease very specific frequencies.  I can't find which lesson file it is, but I want to say the model was the 'Renown'. 

andybrown

Reply with quote  #3 

Thanks Jeff!

barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Andy!  Ted loved Peaveys - I'll have to look up which ones were his favorites though. 
Okay.  These are a few quotes from "the book", since you've asked and it was quite easy to find.  I'll not do this again this way though.  Anyway......

“The day before his gig at Papashon’s Ted came here in the early afternoon to try different amps and guitars so he could determine what to bring. He brought out the Peavey Ltd. 400 (his old favorite), and began to experiment with various guitars: Granny(X50), Amber (late ‘80’s X170) tuned to Eb, Duane Eddy, Mambo (Jazmaster) & Deedee (M75).  Mambo didn’t work at all in that amp - buzzing.  Amber and the Duane Eddy both sounded great but DeeDee got the most exceptional sound.”

“Bring Blond X-500 & Peavey Special. Excited by our new rhythms & chords applied to the wonderful Beatle tunes we rehearsed today”

“Lulu & The Peavey - nothing else had worked, I turned up the mid-range a little, (the subtle, hollow mid semi-acoustic tone was lost amidst the conversations), and went for the “On Broadway” fantasy…..”

“Bring Chubbie & Banana Crème (down a half step) Beloved vibrolux reverb blows fuse, student Andy M gets more, she blows those too.  My back up, trusty Peavey Special 130 stands in.”

Barbara

Reply with quote  #5 
Oh man, thanks for the info! I can't sleep at night thinking about this book-what's the projected release date?

I'm kind of psyched for my Peaveys these days. They get a bad rap sometimes, but they get a pretty warm sound. Kenny Poole used 'em a lot, so does Chicago guitarist Bobby Broom.

Thanks for taking the time to share those quotes.
markjens

Reply with quote  #6 
Oh my gosh, Barbara.  I know that was not your intent, but that is what you call a MAJOR teaser!  I had no idea the book - sorry - The Book - was going to have this kind of "you are there" quality to it.  I am so excited!  Thanks,

Mark
JeffStocksMusic

Reply with quote  #7 

Andy, my old teacher/fellow Chicago jazzman Scott Hesse also uses them.  He has used them for ages.  I have known him for a decade and I don't recall him using anything else.  They are built like tanks and have lots of headroom.  Fairly good reverb as well. 

DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #8 
There's a wonderful interview with Andy in the latest Just Jazz Guitar magazine (February 2010) where he talks about his Peavey amp.

Andy, what size speaker is in yours and approx. how heavy is it? Hard to move?

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi Dan,

Glad you liked the interview. The Peavey comment must have resonated, I've got an email today from a JJG reader asking about my Bandit.

After my previous post on these forums I got a Peavey Special 130, and that's been what I've used ever since. It has the "Scorpion Plus" speaker (12 inch) that my favorite Bandit has. Its got a bigger magnet than a regular Scorpion I believe, and of course that makes it a bit heavier. I got a nice cart from Target http://www.target.com/Heavy-Duty-Flat-Folding-Cart/dp/B001TA93PI/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton, and that plus a bungee cord helps me get it around.

Kenny Poole used a Bandit, and also used a Peavey Studio Pro http://terrydownsmusic.com/Archive/studio_pro_40/studio_pro_40_full_before.jpg 
on quite a few gigs. The tone he got out of this little guy was truly amazing.
WilliamPerry

Reply with quote  #10 
Andy, I was just talking with Dan Sawyer about Ted's Peavey amp.  I have, what I believe was Ted's favorite Peavey.  Yes he did use it live, and it is really heavy.  It has a 15" speaker which Ted favored because of the low bass.  I'll look up the model if anyone is interested.  I won't know the year.  It is not currently working, but I will have it fixed and use it live as Ted would have wished.  It had such a warm sound before it crashed.
JeffStocksMusic

Reply with quote  #11 

I'l like to know William, if you have time.  I am looking for something to use to avoid burning tubes on my Dr. Z. 

WilliamPerry

Reply with quote  #12 
Jeff, sorry that this took a day or so.  This Peavey that was a favorite of Ted's and that he gigged with is: an Artist 240.  It has a 15" Black Widow (spider) speaker that looks original to the amp.  Also, it has what looks to be 4 power tubes.  I didn't take them out, but they looked like the 6v6 type.  Man, I'm showing my ignorance of amps, but there were no pre-amp tubes (smaller ones?).  I don't know if this was the same amp that Ted used at home, the one just to the right as you entered his apartment (everyone plugged into that).  Dan S. and Leon, have such better memories of these things.  Thanks for asking.  It's nice to remember Ted and talk about him.
JeffStocksMusic

Reply with quote  #13 

Thank you William.  I haven't heard of that model but I will dig around. 

DanSawyer

Reply with quote  #14 
One caveat about some of the older Peavey amps. Like other solid state amps of the same period, they do have a bit of hiss.

Reply with quote  #15 
I had some old Blackface Fender Amps I thought were great till I jammed with a guy with a Peavey Bandit years ago. We switched amps and I couldn't believe how clean it was. The sound just cut though without any harshness. My Fenders sounded muffled compared to them. I went right out and bought one. $250.00, I figured it would be a good backup for gigs. It became my main amp. Such a clear clean sound that cut right through and was always smooth.
I moved to a very rural area in Upstate, NY 25 years ago. When I got here, it was mostly country musicians. I used to go through the local papers and find old Peavey Bandits. I'd buy them for 50-100 dollars.
They were all the old ones. Some had the best sounding speakers. They were clear, clean and smooth. I'd mix and match and always had about 4 amps.

Playing out I'd always bring 2 amps stacked on top of each other. Plug myself into the first one, then take the preamp out into the second Bandit's power amp in. I'd start the night with only one turned on and as the night went on and the room filled I'd turn on the second amp. I could control both amps from the first one. They never got too loud, just fuller. Each one was 60 or 65 watt amps. They always stayed nice and clean. No sharp edges in the sound.

The few bands I played in were embarrassed by my Peavey Amps up on the stage. But everyone loved the sound.

I used this setup with a 1988 American Tele/with Joe Bardons till I stopped playing out. I kept the amps till they were lost in a flood 5 years ago.

I still have my Telecaster. Now I just play at home with tiny Marshall practice amps. Solid state as well.

Sorry if this post was so long but, hardly anybody gives Peavey credit for making some great products. I thought I'd add my experience with them.

Wayne,
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE