PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4
wolflen

Reply with quote  #46 
my take

At their best.."modes" are confusing...are they scales? Part of a scale? Are they keys? Part of a key..?  And why all the funny names..phrigian..dorian...lydian dominate..yikes!! And how do you know where & when to use them..and ..exactly what do they do??
This study..like most..involves a lot of time..patience and determination to use with some degree of confidence and skill...but I stress that a thorough knowledge of diatonic harmony ( in all keys) and knowing how to play standards and solo over them is a pre requisite

For me the "fusion" style of playing uses modes with the most effect.

Most of the players that play with that modal "sound" have the above knowledge under their fingers...Holdsworth, Mike Stein, McLaughlin play these lines as second nature...knowing exactly what they are playing will sound before they play it...

First thing is understanding how the harmony sets the framework for the use of modes...traditional diatonic harmony is replaced with what many call "static harmony"...

The quick and dirty of this type of playing is..your not going toward something (V to I) or away from something (I to V)... Your THERE...

The melody in many  "fusion" style progressions dictates the direction of the solos and what choice of modes a player uses.. not the chords that are being played over...

Listen to Miles Davis using this style of thinking on his work from "in a silent way" forward..many of his pieces have a sparse melodic theme that is set and the harmonic support may be a fast moving bass line that is punctuated by guitar/keyboard chords using upper partials of altered chords-that could be major, minor or dominate..that just color the background and are not used to move the piece in any direction...giving tremendous amount of space to solo over using "modes" because of their ability to be in the present melodic content and yet not define a key...

This subject gets lost a bit without actual musical examples to see/hear how these forces work.

Play well
Wolf

dsindel

Reply with quote  #47 
Maybe I will scan and share Ted's Modal Chord Scale (Light to Dark) lesson sheet sometime with you guys? I would like to see some other Modal lesson sheets that Ted wrote out as well. 

Dan Sindel (your humble webmaster)
barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #48 
On page 3 of this thread (?)  I posted 2 pages Ted wrote about "tone color," a term which he preferred over "modes."   Ted felt that thinking in terms of modes could be confusing and confining, therefore he dropped the word from his vocabulary. 
The pages I posted give an overview and suggested used for tone color. 

Didn't anyone here notice these pages? 

Reply with quote  #49 
Sorry Barbara, I guess I missed that.
As of this writing I have read most of page 1 and 2 but not pg. 3.  lol

barbarafranklin

Reply with quote  #50 
's OK humble webmaster - I've not re-read the first two!   Your humble computer-clueless friend (Barbara)

Reply with quote  #51 
Quote:
's OK humble webmaster - I've not re-read the first two!   Your humble computer-clueless friend (Barbara)

That is funny Barbara 
Btw, you are doing great in keeping the Blog going....

You guys seen the blog yet????
Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE