PLEASE REGISTER TO POST. Also, be sure to visit the main website www.tedgreene.com

**************************************************************************************
Buy NOW on Amazon
My Life with The Chord Chemist
A Memoir of Ted Greene, Apotheosis of Solo Guitar
Available at amazon.com

*Check it out!!!

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your contributions keep the site healthy and growing

More information HERE

Official Ted Greene Archives Blog

Ted Greene Archives on YouTube

Join Ted on FACEBOOK

NEW! Follow on TWITTER

..:: The Ted Greene Forums ::..
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
JeffreyDBrown

Super Moderators
Reply with quote  #1 

Hi folks... In case you haven't seen it yet, we've made available to friends of Ted, Leon White's latest endeavor -- Trail Guide to Chord Chemistry, Your Essential Road Map to Understanding Ted Greeneā€™s Book. We did this in partnership with Six String Logic (the publisher) in commemoration of Ted's birthday on September 26. It's a 32-page eBook and you can download it free at: http://tedgreene.com/trailguides.asp.

Hope you find it helpful...

- Jeff

Reply with quote  #2 
Thank you Leon - what an original undertaking and superb offering to the TG community! I haven't gone through your book in detail yet but having scanned it several times over,  I'd gladly pay money for this type of book. I look forward to soaking in your comments and insights over time. Your guide for sure will help us all learn more and "extract" more out of the density of Ted's "CC musical deposit". Fully agree with your view about the Blues section being the most inspiring section of the book.

I've been meaning to tab out Ted's intriguing version of Greensleeves for a while, now you've done it for us all, this and so much more..

thanks so much
Robert
DaveAnno

Reply with quote  #3 

Cool! Another good reason to dig out CC again and the section on the guitars is a fun inclusion [wink]

Reply with quote  #4 
I hope it helps.  Ted's birthday seemed a good time to remember Chord Chemistry.  It is meant to be pretty simple as a guide.  CC does have enough depth and breadth for a lifetime I think, so simple seemed to be the way to go. To that end, the guide is not much of a slog reading-wise: only 23 pages of real text, and most of it you guys will know anyway.  It is more of a different slant on it, and for newbies.  Enjoy.

My big discovery in reviewing CC and Modern Chord Progressions was how fantastic MCP is!!!  As I say in the guide, I hadn't been in it in decades.  It is now my 'book of the month' for all the great sounds there and the great organization.  Ck that out too if you've been away from it.  The strummable fingerings are easier to find, and presentation is crisp!

There have been reports that some versions of the Safari browser may hiccup in the download process once in a while (it isn't repeatable so far). They're working on it, but it isn't fixed yet, so if you get that, try another browser if you can.  If you've figured out WHY it doesn't work, the techies would love to know. [smile]
Thanks again everyone.
L
tedandbarbaraare1

Reply with quote  #5 
As a gentle reminder there is a fine accompaniment guide to any and all other guides, and to "everything Ted G",  titled "How to Read Ted Greene Chord Diagrams" by Paul V.  It is rumored that some folks keep a copy of that "guide" by Paul V conveniently tucked into the well worn pages of their treasured copies of CC and also MCP.  

Thanks to LW and JDB for bringing this material on. 

Reply with quote  #6 
I've been reading through the Trail Guide on CC the last couple of days and am inspired to now use it with my very time-worn copy of CC, spiral binding added. 

The 1st thing I played through this morning was the chord grids for "Greensleeves".  A couple of typos to note.  They may be obvious enough without my saying, but on page 22, measure 19, Gmaj7 played on the 5th fret, move the dot over from the 5th string to the 4th string.  Now the root is there and the descending bass line is uninterrupted.  In measure 24, F#7#5 played at the 2nd fret, move the dot from the 5th string over to the 6th string for the root. 

I have a couple suggestions on page 21.  Think string transference!  In measure 4, shift up one set of strings to play the F#7 down at the 2nd fret, as it is in measure 12.  No big jumps up and down the neck this way!  In measure 3, you might try fretting the A note at the 12th fret on the 5th string (try a harmonic there) rather than fretting it on the 4th string, 7th fret.  This same chord is also played in measure 11.

Have fun!  Kudos to Leon!

Reply with quote  #7 
thanks Nick. I'll have to look at those typos.  I had some choices to make in that arrangement, and I don't mean fingerings.  Ted mis-labeled a chord etc. I went with what he said even if it was wrong (If I recall, i'll have to check when I have time).

Hope it helps as you revisit CC although I can't imagine there's anything in there you don't already know.  MCP is where I'm headed.  Just tons of great sounds.

L
6_String_Bassist

Reply with quote  #8 
Leon,

I want to thank you for the "roadmap", as I am a 6 string bass player (contrabass guitarist) who has unfortunately come to a point in which I want to deeply explore the chordal (and chord melody) aspects of my instrument.

There is going to be a frightening amount of material to go over but I'm 45, deeply in love with music and have the desire to speak the language of music more fluently. I know the carryover value will be high, though many things will not immediately carryover (I tune in all 4ths).

Cheers! I have your map to pore over prior to "Chord Chemistry" comes to me via the good folks at the post office.

Anxious in Albuquerque
LeonWhite

Reply with quote  #9 
You're welcome.  Keep us posted on how you're doing.
L
JPP65

Reply with quote  #10 
I've been using this guide for a few weeks now and it has helped to clear some of confusion. Thanks for all your work, much appreciated!

Quick Navigation:

YOUR SUPPORT MAKES A DIFFERENCE :: DONATE